• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first day digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Martin,try a bean bag resting near the end of your scope,just down from the focusing wheel,it does help.Although not in the winds we have had on the West coast today!!

Thanks for the advice.

Will try it out. I also decided that an LCD shade would help. And maybe a baseball cap ( or even a blanket over my head like the photographers of old ).

I looked at my shots this evening. The better ones were suffering from some flare as i was shooting towards the sun. Extended the scope hood and tried shielding the front of the scope with a map but it didn't help.

It all helps the learning experience. Even if the shots had all been perfect i probably wouldn't have been happy anyway. I've been going down to Marton Mere now for a while to look at the long eared owls roosting there. It amazes me how they manage to find places that always have branches right across they're faces. One day they'll be out in the open and by then i should have got the hang of all this kit. Untill then.....

Great weekend

Well I managed a couple of days out this weekend.

Went to Leighton Moss on Friday. Things were really quiet and I was getting ready to leave when I spotted a Grey Heron up a tree. The pictures didn't come out too bad although there was a mist and the light was strange.

On Sunday I went to Marton Mere. What a gorgeous day. Sunny and warm. Or in photographic terms, bright light and NO wind. Managed to get some pictures of the Long Eared Owls finally ( about 300 actually ).

Wandered about 100 yds to the hide and got there just in time to see a Bittern strolling past. Took a few hurried snaps with my Canon EOS 300D. Even managed a couple as it flew off.

Anyway I've posted them on the members gallery. I must say I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. Mainly because the weather was so great ( I stayed out for 8 hours ), and I got some pleasing results.

Hope your weekend was as great as mine!

Oh and I'd appreciate any critcisms or suggestions etc.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back