• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fast and lightweight tripod + head for ATC (3 Viewers)

I was wondering if anybody has some good advise on a tripod and head for my ATC.

I have a digiscoping set up with an ollin magnetic scope adapter and an iPhone 15 Pro. Although the ATC really does work well ‘spotting out of the hand’ I need more stability for the digiscoping part. However, I do not want to compromise the flexibility and speed of the lightweight compact scope. I really enjoy being in the field, making long hikes while spotting birds and capturing them. I this context I would like to be able to get a bird in view fast with the spotting scope with a set up that I can take along.

The ideal set up would be lightweight and fast (in terms of seconds) to put up. There is no limit to the budget in this matter.
Any experiences/advise?

Your quest is one many share, but I for one have not found a good answer.
The best I've found is the Magview Spotting Scope adapter, which clamps the phone to the scope magnetically, so no screws or big holders.
The weak spot is that alignment is lost whenever the phone is removed from the scope and it takes careful fiddling to achieve it, so it is not quick to set up.
If you can find a good solution, please post it here.

Your quest is one many share, but I for one have not found a good answer.
The best I've found is the Magview Spotting Scope adapter, which clamps the phone to the scope magnetically, so no screws or big holders.
The weak spot is that alignment is lost whenever the phone is removed from the scope and it takes careful fiddling to achieve it, so it is not quick to set up.
If you can find a good solution, please post it here.
I did find a very nice solution for the digiscoping adapter! Ollin: Magnetic Spotting Scope Adapter System. It is very fast and works just perfect. It is not cheap though, but I can definitely recommend it.

The question I had was to match this set up with a lightweight and fast deployable tripod + head. Any ideas about this?

Thank you for the Ollin lead, it looks promising, although my Samsung Note is not among the options listed.
Re tripods, I've been happy with my Velbon Ultra Luxy, now replaced by the Velbon 455. These have a latchless mechanism I've found reliable.
I use a RRS 35 ballhead knockoff rather than a full featured head with handle. That is quite adequate for the little Nikon ED50 scope used and is lighter.

Have a look at the ulanzi u-190 head, I use it with a gitzo traveller series tripod.
Thanks! The Gitzo traveler series seem quite popular here, that’s a good thing! What’s your opinion on the speed to deploy this tripod? Quick enough to get that bird fast? And did you try the ‘standard’ ballhead of the traveller series, or you just bought it without the ballhead?

Thanks again.

Thank you for the Ollin lead, it looks promising, although my Samsung Note is not among the options listed.
Re tripods, I've been happy with my Velbon Ultra Luxy, now replaced by the Velbon 455. These have a latchless mechanism I've found reliable.
I use a RRS 35 ballhead knockoff rather than a full featured head with handle. That is quite adequate for the little Nikon ED50 scope used and is lighter.
Thanks, still considering a ballhead as well. Mainly because of the weight.

Thanks! The Gitzo traveler series seem quite popular here, that’s a good thing! What’s your opinion on the speed to deploy this tripod? Quick enough to get that bird fast? And did you try the ‘standard’ ballhead of the traveller series, or you just bought it without the ballhead?

Thanks again.
Yeah i find it pretty quick to set up. I bought the gitzo legs only and used to use a sirui ballhead.

Ballheads are not ideal for a scope. You want a head that allows motion but when you let go the scope stays where its pointed at. I use a gimbal (ProMediaGear Katana Jr) on a Gitz GT90TT Traveler Titanium leg set with my Meopta Meostar S2+ 82 HD, but for a compact setup like the ATC I'd look at the Traveler GT1145 with either the very unique Flexshooter Mini, a double ball head that behaves like a counterweighted gimbal, or the Gitzo GHF2W fluid head designed specifically for birders.

The Gitzo ball head is serviceable but not exceptional for the price. The main reason to buy it is that it allows the legs to be folded completely.

I use the manfrotto befree live tripod, light and easy to carry fully deployed for rapid use. The tripod is a little flimsy, but I have a 60mm scope on fine, I hold the scope (to focus) and the head handle which helps stabilise it. I would suggest using the cable tie finder as well so you can get on target faster.

Peter

I was wondering if anybody has some good advise on a tripod and head for my ATC.

I have a digiscoping set up with an ollin magnetic scope adapter and an iPhone 15 Pro. Although the ATC really does work well ‘spotting out of the hand’ I need more stability for the digiscoping part. However, I do not want to compromise the flexibility and speed of the lightweight compact scope. I really enjoy being in the field, making long hikes while spotting birds and capturing them. I this context I would like to be able to get a bird in view fast with the spotting scope with a set up that I can take along.

The ideal set up would be lightweight and fast (in terms of seconds) to put up. There is no limit to the budget in this matter.
Any experiences/advise?
This is what I have; CCT tripod and CTH head both by Swarovski Optik. Light and very stable for digiscoping.

I slides out the plate to the front of the head when I do digiscoping and you also can adjust the counter balance with the head for your ATC56 scope

IMG20240220175143-01-01.jpegIMG-20240207-WA0050-01.jpegIMG20240305080653_20240417083305-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back