• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's been in your garden today? (1 Viewer)

Free said:
Cockerels!! I have been out all day to come back to find a lot of my bark Borders dug up and about 20 cockerels running around.
They had escaped from the Farm at the back.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..............What a lovely welcome home ;) ;) :flowers:

work has been heaving with birds this week, esp Warblers with lots of Blackcaps, Willow Warbler & Chiffchaff, plus smaller numbers of Whitethroat & Lsr Whitethroat. Feeders starting to get busy again, plenty of Green/Gold Finch, usual mix of Tits etc.

also family group of Green Woodpeckers, Kingfisher on the pond and Tawny Owls calling at all times of the day.

Hundreds of swallows this evening flying over the garden. The most I have seen flying together since they arrived in the Spring! I expect they are feeding themselves ready for their long journey back to Africa. How I hate to see them go.

Nerine
weather: dull, warm and windless.

Pair of Hawfinches under the sunflower feeder, Crested Tits above, Middle Spotted Woodpecker to the right.

Lots of Chiffchaffs still moving through

weather: warm, sunny and windless.

Hi Nerine,
Weather very stormy, gale force .Had a few blue tits and a couple of magpies. Pair dunnocks. No other signs of bird life at all lately apart from my regular half dozen collared doves.Prehaps next month things will improve when there is less seed out in the countryside.
Kind regards
Pete

helenol said:
Usual for me. Marsh/coal/blue/great/LT tits, nuthatch, blackbirds, wrens, robins, red kite fly pasts.. ;)
Nothing. We have seen about 6 starlings since around August 20th, maybe even earlier, and they were all in one go!! Is it something we said ....?!

Hello, I'm new here. :hi:

The usual suspects were in my garden today... great tits and blue tits squabbling over the peanuts and sunflower seeds, blackbirds, my resident robin singing his little heart out as he's just started proclaiming his autumn territory again... and of course the mischievous squirrels. ;)

Flying over... a few swifts this evening, bats at dusk (excuse me including non-birds!), the usual miscellany of pigeons and doves on the neighbouring rooftops, the odd rooks and crows, and fleeting flocking starlings.

A few days ago a sparrowhawk landed at the top of the willow tree right outside my upstairs window - just feet away, a stunning view! I was glad to see he was just resting for a while and showed no interest in pursuing the tits (perhaps he'd just fed...)

great, blue tits,sparrows in large numbers for the time of year,20-30 at once,so how many individual birds in a single day?

terryeyre said:
great, blue tits,sparrows in large numbers for the time of year,20-30 at once,so how many individual birds in a single day?
Blimey mate thats good, i B :) have had two blue tits, pair dunnocks, 6 collared doves. robin. chaffinch and ravens x6.

A couple of mornings ago I came downstairs to find a flock of 40 Greenfinches squabbling over my three sunflower feeders. Getting a few other things, but not in any numbers. Goldfinch very low: no more than 4 birds. Tit numbers even lower: not currently seeing more than 2 Great Tits and a single Blue Tit. Woodpigeons way below normal: was getting six or seven at once, but currently rarely more than two. A Wren and Robin have moved in, though.

Had a new garden tick two months ago (the first for two or three years): a Marsh Tit! Only stayed a few minutes, though, and never returned. One to savour.

Hi
You should be chuffed to bits with all the activity. I just hope that we are not to late behind you.Early this year I had loads of greenfinch and goldfinch,but to date, nothing. B :)

Just joined. Autumn has arrived suddenly here in Charente Maritime (I'm south of Cognac if you know the area. Garden always full of blue tits, great tits, sparrows and greenfinches. Probably because i put out lots of feeders with peanuts and small black sunflower seeds! We have goldfinches, and because they nest here, we called the house after them - 'Les Chardonnerets' - but they haven't found the nyjer (?) seed feeder yet. Usual wrens, robins (there always seem to be four - one in each corner of the garden - and when a couple meet in the middle, the fighting gets pretty rough.
Even here the swallows and martins are preparing to leave. We also have during the summer Hoopoes, Golden Aurioles, a pair of redstarts (who nested this year), black redstarts - who nested next door, and a pair of cirl buntings - who also nested. All these visitors have already left for the south! Dunnocks nest, although they abandoned one nest this year, and our very tame pair of collared doves. There are lots of buzzards, kestrels and sparrow hawks around here, plus Jays, green and great spotted woodpeckers - so it is a wonderful area for seeing birds.
Tell me if this is common. Being still warm here, we still eat outdoors, and sit out with our aperitifs until after seven pm. We play CDs (quietly) whilst we are out on the terrace, and as soon as the music starts, so does our Karioke Blackbird. I guess he hears it as a rival, but he will start at lunchtime and continue non-stop until about seven in the evening, using two tall fir trees as his rostrum.
I'll do a regular post to tell you of anything new or unusual.

good ringing session today with lots of Great/Blue/Coal Tit, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Green/Gold/Chaffinch & several Nuthatch.

a very noisy Kestrel around all morning, calling Buzzard and R L Partridge, and Tawny Owls still calling regularly.

Teal on the lake this morning, only get them here very occasionally so always nice to see.

also a high altitude dogfight between a Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and two Rooks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back