• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I saw a squirrel entering a bird nest (1 Viewer)

sjackal

What should I do? I saw a squirrel entering a bird nest on a tree. I can't see whats going on up there. There don't seen to have any birds at home then? Wonder if there's eggs or chicks there? I was thinking of shouting felt silly.

Squirrels will raid nests if they come across them. It may be that the squirrel was looking for food and the nest happened to be empty. Shouting is unlikely to have much effect, it would almost certainly return after you'd gone if it had found anything worthwhile in there. If the nest had happened to contain eggs or young, the parent birds would almost certainly lay again, if it was early enough in the season.It may seem cruel, but it's just nature at work.

Cheers

It may be a silly question but are you sure it was a bird's nest? Squirrels make their own, too.
Martin

Try fitting a metal plate around the access hole to the bird box to limit the size of creatures which can enter it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back