• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping and new dSLR cameras (1 Viewer)

mmdnje

Jose
Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on digiscoping with the new crop of dSLR cameras with incorporated liveview? Any oppinions one way or another?? Jose

John

The main point in using a DSLR with a scope is that you can use the electronic viewfinder, to guage the sharpness of your picture when manually focusing the scope, i use a Pentax K10D DSLR attached to my scope. ( which doesnt have liveview)if you use the screen you are still back in the days of using your sight from a distance to sharpen up the picture from the screen, some people can, some cant

to me its much easier just to use the electronic viewfinder, but only if you have tuned in the diopter on the viewfinder, something many people dont even think about when setting up their DSLR to a scope

I spoke to Clay Taylor from Swarovski USA who i consider to be one of the foremost DSLR digiscoper's the other night on skype, and this subject came up, we both agreed that its another way of focusing BUT, we would fall back to using the viewfinder, quality of glass and image is our main reasoning. Clay firmly believes that DSLR digiscoping is the way forward, with so very few suitable P & S cameras now coming onto the market

He is at the PMA show in Las Vegas where all the new cameras are shown, and he said he will try to get round most of the stands time permitting, to test out the newbie P & S and this will involve some of the DSLR's hopefully

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. I also think that DSLR digiscoping has some strong benefits because it allows focusing from a high quality viewfinder.

My experiments with a P&S are difficult at best. Even if I am an experienced photographer, I find it very difficult to focus accurately with the LCD. My eyesight at close range is not as good as it used to and this is really a problem.

I have ordered some adapters and I am eager to seriously test my Canon 20D with my Pentax PF-80ED. I'll post my results of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back