• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which portable storage device (1 Viewer)

I bought a Digimate II-Plus. it supports all standard memory cards, and the 60GB HDD is big enough even for a lenghty trip. paid just under USD 100.00 in Bangkok.

birder said:
Hi all

Any adivce about the best portable storage device for digital image back up int he field?

Thanks

Kevin

As is often the case when answering "what is the best" questions - it depends.

With PSDs you tend to have to compromise with features. So what is best for you may not be the best for me. It all depends on how much importance you place with different features.

Screen: Do you want a bright, large, colour screen where you can review your pictures and show them to friends? Or just a mono lcd that allows you to see what files have been transferred?

Interface: Will you want to use CF cards only or other types?

Battery life and type: AA or in-built rechargeable? Long battery life tends to mean a bulkier machine. Short battery life is OK if you'll be near a mains supply for recharging - not so good if you're in the middle of a desert. Some come with optional external power packs.

Speed: Do you want to transfer 1GB in a minute or two, or can you put up with a longer wait?

Autonomy: This is a measure of how much data you can transfer on one battery charge - v. important if you are away from the mains for a long while. It depends on battery life and transfer speed.

Do you want it to do anything else - MP3 player, video player, tea maker?

Personally, I like the look of the yet-to-be-released Jobo Giga Vu Pro Evolution.

Good advice so far.

Because I don't tend to go on really extended trips, and because all I want is a basic back-up option (no bells and whistles) I went for the Smartdisk Photochute from Warehouse Express - 40gb (plenty for me), bombproof construction, small (literally shirt pocket sized) and quick enough for me.

£79, and just the job for me.

http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk/news/digpop/701.html

One slight (tiny, in fact) downside: you do need to plug in a USB card reader, whereas other PSDs have 'em built in.

I use this: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=99397

If you want an option with a good screen the Epson P2000/P4000 is worth a look and although dear can be picked up 2nd hand on Ebay and the like.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back