• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly photography (1 Viewer)

DOC said:
And here's another example- also taken with the cp 5700

Hi Doc,
I second Surreybirder - fabulous pics. I believe the second one is a male Brachythemis leucosticta?
You may be interested in joining a yahoo user group I set up over a year ago called WestPalOdos for [obviously] all those interested in the Odonata of the region.
If so visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WestPalOdos/
This invite applies to anyone on this forum. The intention is not to 'poach' but to expand knowledge and networking.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Adey Baker said:

What a great article Adey! If that doesn't inspire people to go out and study/photograph dragonflies then I don't know what will...
I've just bought a Nikon CP4500 and once I've got my head around it's features/controls and practiced a bit I shall be trying for some inspiring images;-)
One point of interest from the article, I have a theory [not proven I hasten to add] that the form praenubila is temperature dependant as I believe it has been a predominantly southern county phenomenon. But with the advent of 'Global Warming' the form has been sighted increasingly at more northery locations.

steve covey said:
One point of interest from the article, I have a theory [not proven I hasten to add] that the form praenubila is temperature dependant as I believe it has been a predominantly southern county phenomenon. But with the advent of 'Global Warming' the form has been sighted increasingly at more northery locations.[/color]

It's something worth looking out for.

l'll email Steve Houghton with your theory - I'm sure he'll be interested

Adey Baker said:
It's something worth looking out for.

l'll email Steve Houghton with your theory - I'm sure he'll be interested

Oh it's definitely worth seeing all right. Here's a pic [a scanned slide] of one I found at the Cotswold Water Park a couple of years ago - not up to Steve Houghton's quality though! I'll be revisiting all these species with the new camera - can't wait....:eek:)

Attachments

• 4-spot Chaser forma praenubila Swill Brook Lakes 19-06-98.jpg
    4-spot Chaser forma praenubila Swill Brook Lakes 19-06-98.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 108
steve covey said:
What a great article Adey! If that doesn't inspire people to go out and study/photograph dragonflies then I don't know what will...
I've just bought a Nikon CP4500 and once I've got my head around it's features/controls and practiced a bit I shall be trying for some inspiring images;-)
One point of interest from the article, I have a theory [not proven I hasten to add] that the form praenubila is temperature dependant as I believe it has been a predominantly southern county phenomenon. But with the advent of 'Global Warming' the form has been sighted increasingly at more northery locations.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your COOL new insect photos, Steve. (And digiscoped ones, too?) Once you've got a macro-facility, all sorts of possibilities open up.

Surreybirder said:
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your COOL new insect photos, Steve. (And digiscoped ones, too?) Once you've got a macro-facility, all sorts of possibilities open up.

Lets hope the weather warms up soon. Then nothing will be safe from my lens; butterflies,bees, moths, flies...!!

You'll soon need a new pc with a bigger hard drive ... And a faster USB connection... and a CD writer... and more software...
Then you'll be working so hard to raise the money you won't have much time left for photography.
;)

Wow ' great article and magnificent pictures!

i'm intending on trying to catch some more pics ( like the one attached ) this weekend - will post them as soon as possible.( i'm looking for the blue colored this time ).

Attachments

• DSCN0915 copy.jpg
    DSCN0915 copy.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 100
Hi Doc,
another nice image of Trithemis annulata. This time in 'obelisk' pose - used as a means of regulating body temperature. Not something our odonata in the UK have to contend with very often!
The offer still stands to join the WestPalOdos group. We'd love to have a representative from Israel on board:eek:)).
Here is a pic from a correspondant of mine from N. Cyprus taken on 22nd.
I think it's a very teneral Orthetrum chrysostigma.

Attachments

• Orthetrum chrysostigma teneral - Cyprus 22-03-04.bmp
    868.1 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back