• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Try These for Size (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

Anyone struggling with CJW's latest ID quiz might like to relax with these:

Attachments

• mystery 1.jpg
    mystery 1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 209
  • mystery 2.jpg
    mystery 2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 219
Blimey, where are all our experts tonight? (Down in Penzance, probably.) It's looking like a Great Reed Warbler now. If it's not I'm giving up!

Yes, no need to give up - you've got it!

I suppose everyone's gone to bed, now - I'm off soon.

The 'witty' bit was in the try these for 'SIZE' i.e. the big image of the bird in photo 2 was the diminutive Firecrest, whilst the tiny image was the 'Great' Reed Warbler.

Both taken in Italy - one of the parent Firecrests (at Riva del Garda) was hovering just a few feet away from me catching insects without any concern.

The GRW was at Sirmione and, typically with this species, I first heard it singing and assumed that it was in the bushes in front of me, rather than down at the water's edge - I still had to wait to see its beak moving as it sang just to be sure!

Last edited:
That was fun, Adey. Thanks. Great Reeds were one of the few birds I saw when I went down that way a few years ago. Had three or four pairs not too far from yours - just west of Peschiera.

The only one I'd seen before this was at Cley a few years ago - that was singing with a rhythm that reminded me of the old song 'Sugar in the morning, sugar in the evening!'

We've been to Lake Garda for three years, now and there's not that many warblers around - even for a less than ideal time of July. Plenty of Blackcaps, but that's about it.

Firecrests are usually fairly straight forward. And Serins are very common but there's a few gaps in the avifauna that you'd expect to see - or perhaps I've just not been in the right area. Considering how many lizards I've seen, I'm amazed that I haven't seen at least one Shrike.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back