• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 X 25 Premier LXL Binoculars folding size (1 Viewer)

Hurrah! Yes, that's one of the threads I was referring to earlier. Thanks for posting that. It's a good read.

Brock

Brock:

I like your newest avatar, it reminds me of a cowboy poet, Baxter Black,
excellent story teller, and just like you adds a nice touch to the interesting
story telling and quips you add here to make this Forum a daily habit.

Brock, keep up the good work, and as your previous tagline: "Nothing satisfies like quality", and when you are in fine form, you qualify.

Consider this a compliment, sir.

Jerry

Oh, boy, you found "that" thread. Unlike today, I was quite verbal back then. ;)

By the way, Matt, the SLC compacts take a lot of heat for the focus control being up front, but like you I find it advantageous. Same with the 8x30 SLC. :t:

Ed

I have the Swaro 8x30SLC neu and agree with you and Matt!:t:;)I use my ring finger to focus. I agree about Brock's posts as well.
Regards, Steve

Being compared to Baxter Black, the “finest poet ever to chisel words in the book of life” is quite an accolade, Jerry & gentlemen. I thank you.

I reckon I have gone from poet-warrior to poet-cowboy. Now if I can only overcome my Equinophobia, I might be able to live up to those high expectations.

After being bitten by one horse and thrown by another, I’m a bit squeamish (to use my ex’s word) to get back in the saddle again.

Annie O was a lot of things, but one thing she wasn't was squeamish. One day while she was "breaking and training" a two-year-old horse, he ended up breaking her. He bucked her off, and she landed hard on her shoulder and broke it in three places.

Being a real buckaroo, that evening she went back to the horse farm with a sling on her arm and rode the same horse to show prospective customers. That’s my ex-Annie Oakley.

For those who don’t know Baxter Black, he’s a former large animal veterinarian turned poet-columnist. Large animal veterinarian practice is very underserved in the US so he wants to see Large Animal Only (equine and food animal) veterinarian programs started here, which would be allowed to actively recruit globally, using the same strict scholastic prerequisites as small animal veterinarian programs, but with no out-of-country financial penalties or restrictions.

He said that foreign born graduates would be more willing to become large animal veterinarians, because they wouldn’t think that the work was too hard and paid too little like most American veterinarian students do.

I admire his pragmatism and his openness to foreign-born workers in the US. Not all poet-cowboys are that open-minded. Many would like to believe that all their ancestors came over on the Mayflower.

I will leave you with some self-penned cowboy poetry, with an updated environmental twist.

Ridin’ down the highway, smoke gets up my nose
Think I’ll roll up the windows, before I overdose
Smokestacks pouring black clouds, high into the sky
If I don’t see the country soon, I know I’m going to die

‘Cause that Pennsylvania Turnpike makes my olfactories burn
Tears in my eyes, got my doctor so concerned
And I find myself, just longing for, that sweet smell of manure

*cowboy lyrics copyrighted 2010 by Brocknroller Muzak

Happy trails to you until we meet again,

Brock

Last edited:
Brock, that poetry reminds me of 'Cannonball', the U.S. truckin' TV series (1950s/60s):
"Rollin' down the highway, wheelin' right along,
"Hear the tyres hummin', hummin' out a song,
"The rumble of the diesel, the shiftin' of the gears,
"The rhythm when she's rollin', is music to his ears... Cannonball!
" In any kind of weather, at any time of day,
"When the rig is ready, he'll be on his way,
"He'll carry any cargo, he'll go anywhere,
"Just name the destination, and brother he'll be there... Cannonball!"
Our first television set was a 21" Pye Continental (B&W, 1957) and I used to watch this, along with 'Dragnet'. Okay, so I'm showing my age, but when you waxed lyrical on "Ridin' down the highway..." it all came flooding back to me. Just call me "Lonesome, pines..."!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back