• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombian Birds - ID challenge (1 Viewer)

olivewarbler

third generation birder
Hello all,

The first three shots are of birds inside cloudforest of the Western Andes at about 2100 MASL. Sorry for the bad quality, but the lighting (as some of you know) was not ideal. The first one is maybe some kind of tanager or euphonia? The second one is some kind of wren I think. And the third shot is a Montane Woodcreeper, maybe.

The fourth shot is what I think is an Empidonax (Acadian?). It was also in the Western Andes, but in a garden setting along forest edge.

After many field guides and photos, I am still finding it difficult to identify them. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Attachments

• 20091101_022.jpg
    20091101_022.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20091101_028.JPG
    20091101_028.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20091101_034.JPG
    20091101_034.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20091107_003.JPG
    20091107_003.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 114
Good challenge! My guesses are:
1. Not entirely sure but...female Orange-bellied Euphonia because of shape and the yellowish front.
2. Maybe Mountain Wren.
3. Olive-backed Woodcreeper- Montane would have lighter colored spotting and narrower, slightly downcurved bill.
4. I can only think of Acadian Flycatcher for this one- eye ring, wing bars, fairly long primary projection, greenish upperparts.

Thanks MLoyko & Patrick. The Euphonia was one of my guesses as well. I did see a male that day in the same area. The wren is hard, no? I wish I had gotten a better picture. Agreed on the Woodcreeper - thanks. And thanks for the additional support of the Flycatcher.

Last edited:
First is one of the euphonias with olive-yellow underparts (i.e. not Orange-bellied, which looks like this near the Western Andes of Colombia). Exactly where was it photographed? The 2nd is a female Slaty Antwren. Agree with already suggested IDs for the last two.

Hi Rasmus,

The exact location is Dapa on the east slope of Western Andes northwest of Cali about 30 km. Elevation @ 2000 MASL. Very near to the ridgeline. The only euphonias I have seen in this area are Orange-bellied and Golden-rumped. Thick-billed is common below (up to 1700 MASL). Slaty Antren is an interesting call. The bill seemed too thin and decurved, but the angle of the photo is deceptive. Thanks for the re-stimulation Rasmus.

Thick-billed is common below (up to 1700 MASL).

... and that's what I suspected it was, although I was (and still am) uncertain about the possibility of Orange-crowned, even if the locality makes that less likely. The minor jump in altitude is well within reach for the Thick-billed. It should also be noted that female Thick-billed with a yellowish forecrown are seen with some regularity despite the fact that most field guides specifically mention the absence of this as a primary feature, and the whitish lores are not always easily seen. This specific case is not made easier by the fact that it possibly is an immature (notice absence of sharp border between pale base and dark tip of the bill), but the crown is too olive for imm. Golden-rumped.

Slaty Antren is an interesting call. The bill seemed too thin and decurved, but the angle of the photo is deceptive.

The Slaty Antwren identification is certain. Only species that are similar are its relatives across the Andes in the Amazon.

Thanks so much for the ID help Rasmus. It is always a pleasure to hear what you have to say.

Just a note with the Orange-crowned Euphonia: very rarely seen in the foothills 1000 meters in elevation lower and 20 kilometers away from this location.

I will definitely be looking out for Slaty Antwren again to get better looks (and hopefully photos) of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back