• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In an Island garden (1 Viewer)

The Birds what I saw in November

* Those seen in, or over the gardens
** my keyboard wont type the letter alphabetically after 'y'

Did I say my list was up to 45!... whoops

1, Gannet
2, Shag
3, Cormorant
4, Little Egret*
5, Grey heron*
6, Mallard* not sure quite how wild these are, they live on the 'duckpond' and come in a range of designs.
7, Sparrowhawk*
8, Common Bu**ard*
9, Kestrel*
10, Pheasant
11, Moorhen
12, Oystercatcher
13, Woodcock*
14, Turnstone
15, Herring gull*
16, Lesser-black-backed gull*
17, Greater-black-backed gull
18, Feral pigeon Not sure if these count, they belong to the Seigneur.. as part of his ancient feudal rights
19, Wood pigeon*
20, Collared Dove*
21, Meadow pipit
22, Rock pipit
23, Pied wagtail* I've been on the look out for white wagtails.. but none so far...and the pieds seem to have moved on.
24, Grey wagtail*
25, Dunnock*
26, Robin*
27, Black redstart* A few around at the beginning of the month
28, Blackbird*
29, Fieldfare*
30, Redwing
31, Blackcap* one female possitively ID'ed
32, Chiff-chaff* Quite a few!
33, Goldcrest
34, Firecrest* my favourites!
35, Long-tailed tit* my second favourites!36, Blue tit*
37, Great tit*
38, Wren*
39, Magpie*
40, Carrion crow*
41, Raven
42, Starling*
43, House Sparrow*
44, Brambling one in a flock of chaffinches.
45, Goldfinch*
46, Bullfinch
47, Chaffinch*

Last edited:
A really nice list Quercus

Don't think you can count the Mallards though;)

Been trying to think of solutions for your missing letters - have you taken the plastic covers off the keys and given it a blow inside - may be just some dust or something in there.

You could try downloading the (free programme) PhraseExpress, copy and paste (from somewhere) the missing letters then use the programme to put them in. May help until you find out what's causing it.

On the other hand... it's fun watching you struggle with them:-O

D

I tried taking the keyboard covers off... and broke it further... the back-space is now hanging off!

The Mallards stay... right!... and so do the Big-man's pigeons!... any quibbles and my 'red jungle fowl' go on! ;)

Attachments

• chicks.jpg
    chicks.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 112
Great list, Querks. I had a problem two weeks ago with my keyboard, a couple of keys were catching and not working. My OH (who works in a Software Company, and therefore has in-depth arcane technological secrets like this;)), advised me to take a vacuum-cleaner, turn it on, and whoosh it over the entire keyboard. I did, and it worked. Might be worth a try. A life without "z" and "?" could get complicated.......

Lovely photo's Quercus, it looks like paradise. I enjoyed reading your report & your bird list. Firecrest, brilliant & amazing, one of my favourite birds also & I have only ever seen one. Actually in my garden too.

Lovely photo's Quercus, it looks like paradise. I enjoyed reading your report & your bird list. Firecrest, brilliant & amazing, one of my favourite birds also & I have only ever seen one. Actually in my garden too.

I was watching firecrests last winter it the srcub at the back of Slapton Ley... it might be worth A trip down there to see some more,Val!

I'm scared of Hoovers... it's a man thing.. I might ask for help!

Yersterday's highlight... a wee Chiff-chaff flitting through the Camellias, sheltering from a force 7 Northerly

It's been a quiet week!... If this wind ever drops I might get out more and see more.

Highlights were more Firecrests, a Chiff-chaff or two, and a flock of Fieldfares hanging around.

I had a wonderful moment in the bushes (Oo er Mrs.).. a mixed flock of Firecests, Goldcrests, Long-tailed tits, Chiffchaffs, Blue tits, Great tit's and a Wren... I do like the wee ones best!

I still haven't seen a Song Thrush, which concerns me!

The wind hasn't dropped ... but the sun has come out! I took a walk up to the North end of the island, the sea was dramatic!

I'm not really a sea watcher, but I passed a happy hour sitting on a bench in the sunshine watching the tide go out... and the gulls playing in the wind!.... Herring gulls, Greater black-backed gulls, Cormorants, Shags, juvenile gannets, a fulmar, and a wee flock of auky type thingies, too far off to ID with any certainty. ... and a new Island tick (for me).....

48, Peregrine

The pics... stormy seas... the Island of Herm in the distance of pic 1

Attachments

• rough1.jpg
    rough1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 77
  • rough2.jpg
    rough2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I think I saw a Merlin this morning... a small grey BoP, but it disappeared over the cliff before I got a good view..

It's been a while since I added to the Island list... but.....

49, Stonechat, two, one of each, I knew they were here, and I'd seen a few , but not certain enough to be sure. Here was me looking for them in the gorsey, rabbit nibbled turf bits of the coast... when all along they were in the grassy paddocky bits in the middle!

The most common birds here (apart from Herring gulls, which are everywhere and magpies.... one for sorrow, two for joy...... but what about 15!!) are those birds which thrive in bushy, hedgey, thickety, thorn bush sort of places, there are really good numbers of;- Wrens, Dunnocks, Robins, Blackbirds numerous flocks of Long -tailed tits.. and my favourites,.... which I will keep going on about......Firecrests, I've got the ear for them now... and there are hundreds of them!..well, I saw 7 today!

Last edited:
Just a thought Q..........is Sark (or the CI's for that matter) considered to be on the British list?

Have you seen the possible merlin again?

z = Alt 122 ( numeric pad ) Hold the Alt key down and type 122 on the numeric pad ( on the numbers above the alpha keys ) then let go of the Alt key, Z is Alt 090 .

Just a thought Q..........is Sark (or the CI's for that matter) considered to be on the British list?

Have you seen the possible merlin again?

No... and no!

We're considered to much a part of (geographically speaking) France... which is why Short-toed treecreepers aren't on the British breeding list dispite being common on the larger Islands. It's also why we're underwatched, British birders wanting to stay within the British recording area... or if they're going overseas, going further afield. I don't think we're on the French list either!

z = Alt 122 ( numeric pad ) Hold the Alt key down and type 122 on the numeric pad ( on the numbers above the alpha keys ) then let go of the Alt key, Z is Alt 090 .

Thanks Alan... I'm a self taught computor idiot..with a broken keyboard.. I tried it.. but the page (on the screen) jumped all over the place!.. I'll stick with cutting and pasting when I really need to....and until i've saved up for a new lap top.. I'll make do!

In the meantime.. I'll not be discussing Buteo buteos

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back