• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better beamer (1 Viewer)

M Collard

Hi,

I do some badger photography but in order to obtain more some depth of field it seems that a purchasing a Better Beamer could the trick.

Not knowing the product too well am I right in thinking that if I decide to stick camoflaged tape all over it it will not do what is is intended to do!

As the rest of my stuff is covered in green to have a white bit sticking out would not be good.

Would appreciate help by anybody who has successfully used a Better Beamer.

My thanks/ Mike

With regards the flash giving you away to the badgers. At my local set, i have for a while been using a sony f707 and its nightshot, but really wanted to attempt to get better photos, I dont have an external flash, I just use my 30d, iso 1600 00mm at f2.8, once they are busy feeding, i then choose that moment and i did not disturb the badger at all, to my surprise. Taken from 20ft (ish)

026.jpg

024-2.jpg

If you've got badgers in a regular set position each night you could always try more creative lighting - one or two speedlites with radio remote releases (Pocketwizards are the standard, but there are cheaper ones like Cactus wireless triggors).

That way you can slightly lose that "I used flash" and try to avoid the redeye effect by positioning the flashes a little higher up. It also has the bonus that you the won't be spooking the badgers from your position (with the light) so running a little less risk (since when you shoot you might also move that might spook them more than the flash of light)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back