• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best readily available 6x30? (1 Viewer)

Brock,
On the other hand, I have also been using the 6x30 Opticron Savannas a lot lately. There is just something about that relaxed 6x Porto view. Even used them the other night while waiting to see the northern lights.

...and did you see the northern lights? :smoke:

I decided to give the Viper HD 6x32 a try. Will get them Thursday and have them for the 4th of July weekend. Looking forward to testing them out! :t:

B :)

The Viper HD is my current main bino. I love it. When I compared it to my son's Zeiss Victory 8x32's it held it's own in all respects, other than it had very slightly more chromactic aberration.

Whenever I meet with my bird pals, I always let them take a look, and they immediately get wowed at both the brightness, field of view, and overall viewing comfort.

Some pics to wet the appetite:

bin1.jpg

bin2.jpg

bin3.jpg

New 2015 Opticron BGA Traveller In Black

I had both Vortex Viper 6x32 regular and HD. While they are great I was getting blackout with both. Next up was the Steiner 7x flavors and while they were great I did have a little blackout with it. I think the Steiner 7x are still a strong contender in the 6 and 7x category. For these out West 7x Steiner may be a good choice.
I also see the Opticron 6x32 the 2015 model. I wonder if anyone has it and can comment on it.
I also tried the Leupold 6x30 porro these are nice.
I feel that 6x and 7x are like the forgotten small diameter tires. I remember while in college most cars (at least what I could afford) were 155SR13 or 155 by 13 inch rim. These days it starts at 16 inch minimum so that manufactures can charge higher prices for their 16 and 17 and 18 inch tires.
I feel the same with 8x binos. If that is what manufacturers make then we have no choice.
I would like to comment on the Opticron 2015 6x32 Traveller in Black. ..... I recently purchased Opticron's(most recent model) 6x32 BGA Traveller in Black from proudpapa(Gordon). First let me say Gordon's price was very good, as low if not the lowest I have seen & shipped directly to me in 2 days(super fast). Having said this , I have owned all the 6x32's that have been available these last 5 yrs. & this 6x32 Traveller in Black is the 2nd one I have owned, the first was the older version bought here used from a member. I can say at least to my eyes it is at least as sharp or sharper as any of the Vortex 6x32 HD or Non HD binoculars I have looked thru or any other 6x32 roof prism binocular. They are truly a compact 6x32 unlike the Vortex. Made in Japan like the 6x32 Viper & a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I know the Viper advertises HD glass but does it really make the view any better in a 6x binocular ? At one time I did but after using the updated Opticron 6x32 Traveler in Black I am now not so sure. Opticron does not use the words HD or any other to reference any type of "ED" glass when describing the Traveller but the glass they do use is of high quality which is apparent when one puts these to your eyes. I am not trashing the Vortex, I really like it but the Traveller is one I would recommend if one is considering a 6x in a 30 or 32mm objective roof prism binocular. .... gwen

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back