• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (3 Viewers)

Wednesday Wanderings In August - Part 1

Two Wednesday wanderings have occurred since my last report. The first, a week ago yesterday, saw us (Stonefaction (Barry) and I) heading for the Tay Marshes in a downpour. Barry had tried to head me off by texting a later start due to the weather forecast, but due to my resistance to mobile phone use, I didn't pick the message up until I arrived at the normal pick up point at the original pick up time. Barry had guessed it would be hit or miss as to whether I picked up the text, so not hearing from me, he arrived at the original time anyway.

Rather than head straight for the marshes, we stopped off at Riverside NP to scan the trees around the car park area. There was little to see in the heavy rain, so we headed to Errol, where we parked up and waited for the rain to abate, as forecast. It took about twenty minutes, but from that point on it was a fine day.

The main target at the marshes was Bearded Reedling. I had already made four or five attempts this year to find this bird at this hotspot for them, but with no success.

We explored the area in front of Tay Lodge initially. No Beardies here, but we did get good views of Marsh Harriers. A Sparrowhawk over the reeds did not fill me with confidence that our target would make a showing, however, we soldiered on towards Port Allen along the woodland path, scanning over the reeds where there were breaks in the trees. On the way, we did find a surprise Little Egret.

There was little at Port Allen, and certainly no Beardies, so we were soon making the march of the defeated back to the car. From Errol we headed back to Dundee, over the bridge and into Fife.

Our next stop was Boarhills. Parking in the village, we headed down the rough farm tracks to the pond. On the way, we found few birds, though noticed a large group of diving Gannets just off the coast. What we did find on our walk though, was a multitude of Painted Ladies. Approaching the pond, Barry spotted a Great Skua heading along the coast. This was the only real highlight in this area, so after moving around the pond to the little salt marsh for a quick scan of the birds on the rocks, we retraced our steps to the car.

Heading back North now, we were soon parked at the driving range just outside St Andrews. A quick hike along the coastal path where it cuts across the golf course, saw us at the Balgove Hide. We had hoped that the now receding tide would draw some waders onto the newly exposed mud flats. There was little action, although three Greenshank were seen at distance.

Last stop of the day was a quick visit to the Eden Centre. This produced two more Little Egrets, and this time they were close to us, as they sauntered up the bank on our side of the river.

Not a prolific day's birding, but an enjoyable one, with some good birds seen. Leaving Barry to catch the bus at Guardbridge, I headed home, but could not resist dropping in at the Wilderness for a quick scan . Here I found my first Ruff of the year and also three Green Sandpiper. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN2885.jpg
    DSCN2885.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2892.jpg
    DSCN2892.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2986.jpg
    DSCN2986.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2906.jpg
    DSCN2906.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Wednesday Wanderings In August - Part 2

I was out the door at first light yesterday. As is my custom, I made a quick drive by scanning of the Wilderness and Lewtham Pools, on my way through to pick up Barry (Stonefaction at Dundee. There was nothing out of the ordinary at either of the Fife sites.

With westerly winds having been prevalent all week, we had decided to head North to the Speyside area, as nothing new was expected on the coast. Our targets for the day were Ptarmigan, Golden Eagle, Crested Tit and Slavonian Grebe. Also, Hen Harrier would be gratefully accepted.

Leaving Dundee, we took the scenic route; heading for Alyth, then over the moor to Glenshee. There were large numbers of Meadow Pipits seen on the moor, but no raptors other than a single Kestrel. Our first stop was the ski station car park at Glenshee. Stepping out of the car was like stepping into a fridge. The windy conditions certainly were producing a chill factor, and earlier talk of possibly walking up the mountain was quickly dismissed. We settled for extensive scanning of the surrounding slopes in the search for Ptarmigan. None were found among the Red Grouse and Mountain Hares. A Ring Ouzel was a bonus spot.

We moved on down the glen and through Braemar before taking the Tomintoul road over the mountains. It was along this road that we made a stop that produced a number of Raven, Buzzard and a Peregrine.

Descending down to Nethybridge, we headed for Loch Garden. I had visited here a few times previously, but never found our target Crested Tit. Pulling into the car park, we walked up to the reception hut, and there on one of the feeders was a Crested Tit.

Half a minute later, the bird was gone. We hung around for twenty minutes or so to see if it would return, but there was no further sign. With my lifer in the bag, we decided to push on.

From Loch Garten, we made our way to the A9, and headed North until we reached the turning that took us up the Findhorn valley. There was much scanning along the way in search of Golden Eagle, but it proved fruitless, so we took the Farr road over the tops toward Loch Ruthven. I use the word road here with no real commitment. It was basically something a rabbit would make if it could use tarmac, but it got us there. Soon we were near to Farr.

Leaving Farr far behind, we reached our destination of Loch Ruthven. Making our way down the path from the car park to the RSPB hide, we found a few butterflies that were new to both of us, in the form of Scotch Argus. Reaching the hide though, we were were soon watching our main target here, as a family of Slavonian Grebe showed well on the windswept waters of the loch. Not the first time I've seen Slavonian Grebe, but the first time I've seen them on fresh water and in summer plumage, not to mention relatively close quarters.

From Loch Ruthven, we made our way back to the A9 before heading South. We made one last stop for the day by diverting to Loch Insh Marshes. It was very quiet there though, however, we noted from the hide observations log that there had been Hen Harriers there in the morning.

Soon we were heading home again with another successful Wednesday wandering behind us.:t:

Attachments

• DSCN3080.jpg
    DSCN3080.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN3057.jpg
    DSCN3057.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Joe, if you like walking, the Fife Coastal Path goes through Rosyth. You could walk either direction along it for some easy birding. It is waymarked, good surface. It may be a bit urban near Rosyth. Depends how far you can walk.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I did, but security was extremely tight around the dock. They REALLY didn't want me just walking out of the restricted area. Walked part of the path in the morning. In the afternoon, took a free shuttle to the train station in Inverkeithing and then walked down to the public path from there. Got lost several times, but it didn't matter. Didn't know where I was going anyway.

I made a trip to the Eden Estuary Centre yesterday, calling in at a couple of spots on the way. Letham Pools was very quiet, probably due in part to the maintenance work that was being carried out on the overhead power cables.

The Wllderness was also quiet, however, just as I was about to leave, a couple of other birders put me on to a flock of Crossbills, so it was well worth the visit.

Moving on towards the EEC, I diverted to a known Goshawk viewing point. I was hoping the warm sun would maybe encourage a bit of soaring above the wooded hill. There was a raptor up there, but before I could get scope or camera on it, it dropped down behind the hill.

Moving on to the Eden river, I took time to check out the stream from a small bridge. It proved worthwhile as a Grey Wagtail popped up, soon to be replaced by my first Fife Dipper. The Dipper, as you'll see from the photo has been previously ringed.

I arrived at the EEC at about twelve. I was hoping for Spotted Redshank, but there were very few Redshank at all, let alone Spotted. Still plenty to keep me happy though, with Little Egret, Osprey, Greenshank, Kingfisher Black-Tailed Godwit, and a Grey Heron with a slippery challenge (see last photo).

Attachments

• DSCN3109.jpg
    DSCN3109.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN3115.jpg
    DSCN3115.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN3123.jpg
    DSCN3123.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN3189.jpg
    DSCN3189.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN3202.jpg
    DSCN3202.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 54
found a long tailed duck on the elliot water at arbroath today first i have seen this winter,spent a couple of hours before dark at riverside nature park,no flocks of redwings or fieldfares which everyone else seems to be enjoying and only 1 pinkfoot circling the bay :eek!:great sunset tho

Attachments

• ltd.jpg
    ltd.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 44
  • inverg.jpg
    inverg.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 37
A Wet Wednesday Wandering

A very wet and gloomy day was brightened considerably by the finding of the pictured little fellow. It had been reported as present at the Montrose Basin since Monday, so we were very pleased that the arrival of wet conditions had not driven it off before we caught up with it.

It had been forty years since I last saw a Hoopoe (Gower Peninsula, Wales), but it has been well worth the wait, however, I hope I don't have to wait so long for the next one.

Attachments

• DSCN3933.jpg
    DSCN3933.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN3941.jpg
    DSCN3941.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN3943.jpg
    DSCN3943.jpg
    647.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Waxwings

There has been a flock of Waxwings in Kirkcaldy for a few days. They have been hanging about in the trees around a car wash centre. I don't understand it, as they don't appear to have a car. 3:)

Attachments

• DSCN4116.jpg
    DSCN4116.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 41
There has been a flock of Waxwings in Kirkcaldy for a few days. They have been hanging about in the trees around a car wash centre. I don't understand it, as they don't appear to have a car. 3:)

As people wash their cars, they'll have easy access to plenty of wax? :)

It's a few years since I've seen Waxwings... but have a wee flock arrived this morning - a lovely late Christmas present!

Don't know why they always seem to come here when the skies are so dull, but there you go. Got a few pics though.

Happy Christmas and New Year to all readers of this thread.

Attachments

• BF Waxwing S0090052.jpg
    BF Waxwing S0090052.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ooooh!!! Thanks so much for that Paul!;)

Hope you had a grand time yesterday.

Wednesday Wanderings (on a Thursday)

Yesterday saw me meeting up with Barry (Stonefaction) at first light in Dundee. Due to the festive holidays, I had not been able to get out on our usual Wednesday, but as Barry was off work on the Thursday, we had rescheduled our regular wandering.

Our plan gave us five main targets. Arriving at Riverside Nature Park, we did a quick warm up wander that gave us a Snipe among other more common birds, before heading to where we could look down onto the river mudflats. Our target here was Spotted Redshank.

We changed position a few times as we scanned the Redshank flock below until eventually, Barry picked the bird out. With a year tick for me in the book, and with a tight schedule, we were soon on our way back to the car.

Next stop was Arbroath, although we managed a drive by spotting of a known flock of Waxwings as we passed through Dundee. Pulling up at Arbroath sea front, we hopped out of the car, walked a few dozen paces, then stopped as Barry called, "There it is". And there it was indeed. A lifer for me in the form of a Black Redstart.

We spent some time at this spot trying to get photos of what was a very mobile bird, but were soon on the move again. Our next destination was Carnoustie. The target here was a resident Green Parakeet. The exact location was at the gates of a school. We had decided to give this bird a miss earlier in the year, as men wandering about with cameras and binoculars at a school gate might not have been popular with the locals. As the school was closed for the Christmas holidays, we decided to grab our chance.

Once on location, we spent some time scouring the little tree lined park next to the school, but despite getting a tip from a dog walker as to where the bird normally hung out, we drew a blank.

Moving on, we now headed for Barry Buddon, where we parked up at the railway station. From here we hiked the couple of miles to the beach. At the beach we then started the energy sapping walk north, inspecting the seaweed and driftwood strewn high tide line, as we made our way along the soft sands.

As we approached the end of the beach, I noticed that the grass bearing dune line at the back of the beach had dropped at this point to just a few feet above the beach level. I decided to head towards it, with the intention of climbing onto the edge to get a view across the dune grasses inland. As I approached the tide line however, a bird flew out from the assorted debris and landed on the sands. A quick scan revealed our target bird, and my second lifer of the day with a Shore Lark.

The bird returned to the debris, and was quite happy sprinting about from patch to patch. We grabbed some photos, then left it to its inspections. We hiked back the route as we had come, and were both relieved to get back to the car. It had been a lot of effort, but had been well worth it.

Our last target was located in St Andrews. It was going to be tight with the available daylight, but arriving at the Golf Museum car park, there was still enough light to start scanning the huge assembly of offshore sea ducks. With thousands of Common Scoters, liberally sprinkled with Long-Tailed Duck and Scaup, it was going to be some job to pick out our target Surf Scoter. With the light rapidly failing, we scanned the flock back and forth several times. Eventually, I suggested we call it a day. It had been a good day, but Surf Scoter was obviously not going to be for us. Thirty seconds later, Barry found one. Then there were two.

And that was our day. I hope any readers have enjoyed the accounts of our wanderings over the last year. I look forward to doing it all again next year. :t:

Attachments

• DSCN4185.jpg
    DSCN4185.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN4186.jpg
    DSCN4186.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN4196.jpg
    DSCN4196.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I always enjoy your reports Paul.

What a grand day you both had. Well done guys.

Thanks for all your accounts

Just a note to thank Paul and Barry for their interesting writing over the year. I look forward to more in 2019.
Best wishes for the New Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back