• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lincolnshire Wolds (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I visited the Lincolnshire Wolds a little while ago when researching some family history. I had never been there before and found it to be a sparsely populated area with rolling farmland and some wooded areas. I did not have time to really look around from a natural history point of view but because it was so quiet I felt that it must be a good area for birds etc. Does anyone have any advice as to areas to visit in the Wolds for any species, both birds and otherwise. I will be returning for more family research but with more time to take a longer look at the natural world therein. Thanks in advance.

Hi Colin, just noticed your message. Been on here a while unanswered probably for the simple reason that the Lincolnshire Wolds really are quiet. Lots of intense industrial level agriculture with few areas left with much in the way of wildlife. I walk the Wolds from Louth most Sundays and wouldn't recommend anybody coming up here just to go birdwatching. But having said that, if you are coming here anyway then try the River Bain valley around Donington on Bain and Stenigot. Quite a bit of organic farming going on so a few interesting birds.

Colin said:
Does anyone have any advice as to areas to visit in the Wolds for any species, both birds and otherwise. I will be returning for more family research but with more time to take a longer look at the natural world therein. Thanks in advance.

Just noticed this also. There are a few nice reserves with adders, grass snakes and slow worms run by the Lincs Wildlife Trust - details should be on this site as there was a thread a while back. It is a bit barren for birds, though, if you've gone that far continuing to gib point might be an option.

Could try Kirkby on Bain gravelpits and Kirkby on Bain Woods, a couple of miles apart from each other near Woodhall spa. Bit further north - but Worlaby Carr (near Brigg) good for raptors of all kinds inc Short eared/Barn Owls this time of year - good to do in conjunction with Far Ings near the Humber Bridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back