• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (63 Viewers)

I.D's

Pro Linnet 10 John 1

It's a Linnet innit ?;)

Got your name Israel hope to see you make some initail I.D's on this Forum.
The picture was of poor quality, Keith with his experience of Birding should have been able to id this bird in the field, bird in a flock and photographed a male Linnet, however Finches mix in flocks.
I quickley suggested Corn Bunting (note looks like) which then got the discussion going, I identify lots of Natural history on these threads most correctly, I can't be expected to go into detail straight away on every species.
Most of those on the I.D Forum have identified by gis with no back up, at least you tried to point out something on the tail but never said anymore, yes I did note the Bird had a tail.
I believe 2 on the I.D forum said a pale Grey bill which I can't see that myself and Wheateasrp said he can see pale Grey on the bill but the light has had an effect on the bill, usually light on the bill, colour would be bleached out.
If you see a rare bird and put into the relevant County Recorder or BBRC
reason for I.D -gis of the bird, the record would be thrown in the bin.
Hope to see some of the fence sitters on this site and other sites make a few initail i.d's and suggestion even if it's incorrect, to start things going, instead of putting in an I.D after several others have already suggested the same, like Sheep flocking for safety.
Views suggest now the bird probably is a Linnet, but on gis alone it appears. If I got the I.D wrong from the photo I am not bothered the most important thing is I had a go and put some input in, can you say that about yourself

Regards, John

Photographs

Sorry - what was the question again?

John - all i would say is beware 'soft part' colour and how this is represented on a computer screen jpeg?

Below- is a Funting montage for the terminally bewildered none of them are Verns;) They are not labelled as it should be obvious as to the species.........

Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie,
It's easy to I.D this with good photo's and when the Corn Bunting is side on showing it's huge bill.

Regards, John

I post sightings Warks in Warks forum and Staffs in Staffs forum and general chat on the West midlands, what others do it's up to them i'm not a control freak like Phil Andrews.
I expect you to make a few I.D's on this forum will keep an eyeout. If the Midlands lakes threads are to complicated for you I suggest you don't read them. Stick with Upton Warren.

Life is complicated, never mind multiple threads for the same site. I occasionally read other threads out of vague interest and will comment if I feel the need.

I doubt I'll be living up to your expectations and commenting any more regularly on ID issues than I have thus far. I'm notoriously bad at ID'ing birds from photos and I'm usually far too late to the party to do anything other than post an agreement to what has gone before. I thought I'd make an exception in this case as it was a) local and b) seemed to be causing some contention. Apologies for explaining my reasoning, but I thought it may help.

You don't, of course, have to agree with anything I've said, either re the ID or my opinions on geographical location or duplication. However they're my opinions and I'll stick with them.

Forget Grimley, forget Middleton Lakes, here at Upton Warren we can cram five different waders within the same square metre!!:t:
It was nearly six but the Redshank never got quite close enough.
From left to right: Little Stint, Common Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Lapwing.

Hope they all stay around for Saturday.;)

Attachments

• 5 uw.jpg
    5 uw.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 147
  • rs uw.jpg
    rs uw.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 65
Postings

Life is complicated, never mind multiple threads for the same site. I occasionally read other threads out of vague interest and will comment if I feel the need.

I doubt I'll be living up to your expectations and commenting any more regularly on ID issues than I have thus far. I'm notoriously bad at ID'ing birds from photos and I'm usually far too late to the party to do anything other than post an agreement to what has gone before. I thought I'd make an exception in this case as it was a) local and b) seemed to be causing some contention. Apologies for explaining my reasoning, but I thought it may help.

You don't, of course, have to agree with anything I've said, either re the ID or my opinions on geographical location or duplication. However they're my opinions and I'll stick with them.

Your entitileded put your view forward Wheatarlp the forums are for this purpose.

I made one of my all too infrequent early morning forays to Upton today (although I was there early Monday too). Excellent weather, good company and a few pics. Arrived today at 5.30am so still dark. As it got light I couldn't believe how many Canada's were crammed in front of the East hide. As they were mainly stationary and too dark for any serious togging I decided to count them. 182 with more disappearing into the mist, so over 200. At 6.20 they started to take off, wow what a spectacle. Heathrow could learn a few things I think. Next and still not great light a water rail came out onto the bank in front of the hide. Then a kingfisher settled on one of the poles. 4 little grebes swam around and a solitary lapwing cried for ages. ( Monday there were at least 20). By 10.30 the hide was packed so I decided to call it a day and let someone have a seat. Regards Dennis.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 79
I made one of my all too infrequent early morning forays to Upton today (although I was there early Monday too). Excellent weather, good company and a few pics. Arrived today at 5.30am so still dark. As it got light I couldn't believe how many Canada's were crammed in front of the East hide. As they were mainly stationary and too dark for any serious togging I decided to count them. 182 with more disappearing into the mist, so over 200. At 6.20 they started to take off, wow what a spectacle. Heathrow could learn a few things I think. Next and still not great light a water rail came out onto the bank in front of the hide. Then a kingfisher settled on one of the poles. 4 little grebes swam around and a solitary lapwing cried for ages. ( Monday there were at least 20). By 10.30 the hide was packed so I decided to call it a day and let someone have a seat. Regards Dennis.

Whilst often decried, Canada Geese can make a huge spectacle. Imagine the scene at the Moors Pool on the 29th September 2007 and again four days later when a staggering 750 were present (the reserve's peak count)! :eek!:

Last edited:
Calling All Uptoneering Togs

Does anyone have photographs of Reed Warbler and/or Sedge Warbler taken at UW? And/or any panoramic/atmospheric shot of the reserve and its reed beds which they are prepared to let me use in an online presentation?

I'm doing an extended (and hopefully illustrated) version of one of Phil's graphs and some additional info on Reed and Sedge Warblers.

Please Note:
(1) It will be published on the internet for the whole world to see.
(2) It is intended to show off a commercial web-design/multimedia product but we can't justify much budget as we could buy photo-library images online at £1 a pop. I'd rather use and promote Upton. So the best we can offer is £2.50 for each one we use (which I'd like to suggest is donated to the UW fighting fund). It will hopefully get the reserve some attention. We can also include a copyright credit and a link to any website/blog or flickr you want us to. Hope that seems fair and reasonable.

Please PM me with contributions or questions to avoid unnecessary posts here.

Thanks.

Paul

Cheers Des, the 144th species for the year. Did you manage any photos?

I do have some record-record shots, but JHWR has a better image which he might post.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Little Stint--------------Ringed Plover(2)
Redshank (2)------------Green Sand (3)
Common Sand (4)-------Curlew (20)
Snipe (1)----------------Meadow Pipit
Yellow Wagtail-----------Grey Wagtail
Raven-------------------Sedge Warbler
Reed Warbler------------L Whitethroat
Kingfisher---------------Teal (c40)
Shoveler (27)-----------Dunlin

MOORS:
Large gulls (c70) the vast majority being L B B Gulls.
Yellow-legged Gull(ad)--- Lapwing (95)
B H Gull (c1000)---------Hobby
Wigeon (3)--------------Greylags (14)
Snipe (1)

Des.

I do have some record-record shots, but JHWR has a better image which he might post.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Little Stint--------------Ringed Plover(2)
Redshank (2)------------Green Sand (3)
Common Sand (4)-------Curlew (20)
Snipe (1)----------------Meadow Pipit
Yellow Wagtail-----------Grey Wagtail
Raven-------------------Sedge Warbler
Reed Warbler------------L Whitethroat
Kingfisher---------------Teal (c40)
Shoveler (27)-----------Dunlin

MOORS:
Large gulls (c70) the vast majority being L B B Gulls.
Yellow-legged Gull(ad)--- Lapwing (95)
B H Gull (c1000)---------Hobby
Wigeon (3)--------------Greylags (14)
Snipe (1)

Des.

Not a bad list Des; throw in Pochard, Gadwall etc and we may have a fighting chance on Saturday. Steve N advises that Venus Pool may also be fielding a team :t:

Does anyone have photographs of Reed Warbler and/or Sedge Warbler taken at UW? And/or any panoramic/atmospheric shot of the reserve and its reed beds which they are prepared to let me use in an online presentation?

I'm doing an extended (and hopefully illustrated) version of one of Phil's graphs and some additional info on Reed and Sedge Warblers.

Please Note:
(2) It is intended to show off a commercial web-design/multimedia product but we can't justify much budget as we could buy photo-library images online at £1 a pop. I'd rather use and promote Upton. So the best we can offer is £2.50 for each one we use (which I'd like to suggest is donated to the UW fighting fund). It will hopefully get the reserve some attention. We can also include a copyright credit and a link to any website/blog or flickr you want us to. Hope that seems fair and reasonable.

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Couldn't work out how to send photos by PM (couldn't find the paperclip icon) 8-P.

You are welcome to use the following Sedge Warbler shot (free for use) but I suspect the proper togs have far superior examples.

Attachments

• Sdge Flshs May11.jpg
    Sdge Flshs May11.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 89

Please Note:

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul
Go to my Flickr link below. Got hundreds of UW photos a few of Reed and Sedge in the 'birds' set. Also stacks of moody Upton Warren landscapes! They're all downloadable and I don't want anything if you use any.
Cheers

Hi Gary - yes, this Saturday. Will you be doing an over-nighter to get us Tawny Owl? I suspect a few of the keener ones will be on site by 5:30am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back