• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (5 Viewers)

Phil,
Birders should be able to sort out this bird on here, that's what forums are about, discussion, it's also a learning process. Keith asked for help or advice for this bird and that's what he has received.

Regards, John

Ahh but this is an UPTON WARREN forum. As a wide and varied thread I have no problem with members of the "Upton Warren community" posting photos from other locations for a quick ID. But this has now gone on for a good number of posts with no agreed conclusion (just the entrenching of opinions)

I have asked Keith if he would have any objections to me putting his Linnet ;) photo on the ID forum to garner a wider spectrum of views and give Keith the identification that he seeks.

I didn't get over to the moors side today due to lack of time and spending too long looking at the Stint. The garden warbler (just 1) was around the second metal gate as you walk towards the big hide. The reed warbler was in the reeds in front of one of the little hides. The yellow wagtail flew over but there was apparently one in front of the main hide just before I arrived.

(I hope) Here is a picture of the willow tit.

Mike

Thanks to the extra detail Mike :t:

Ahh but this is an UPTON WARREN forum. As a wide and varied thread I have no problem with members of the "Upton Warren community" posting photos from other locations for a quick ID. But this has now gone on for a good number of posts with no agreed conclusion (just the entrenching of opinions)

I have asked Keith if he would have any objections to me putting his Linnet ;) photo on the ID forum to garner a wider spectrum of views and give Keith the identification that he seeks.

Are you a moderator for Birdforum Phil.

Like when you suggested I put my Staffordshire and Warwickshire sightings of Middleton lakes on the West Midlands thread and even suggested I closed down those 2 County threads.

Regards, John

That was meant to be a helpful suggestion to keep all of Middleton Lake info in one place and prevent cross-posting, allowing you to "build the brand"

Why don't you put the Upton Thread on the West midlands Forum build the Upton brand on the West Midlands forum.

No John - the essence of the Upton Warren thread is that all information (sightings, photographs, stats, past history, management work etc) is all in one place and people can follow developments in a chronological order without having to dot around; there have been previous suggestions to split the Upton thread into various sub-divisions which have never got off the ground. FYI many of the UW regulars live in Birmingham and the Black Country and know exactly where to access information on the reserve.

Evening spent at the Flashes.

Little stint still there. Also....
4 redshank, 2 green sandpipers, 3 common sandpipers, 1 snipe, 1 ringed plover, 21 curlew, 34 lapwing, 11 shovelor, 53 teal, 26 stock doves, 2 peregrines on tall masts.

The highlight for me though was a high flying swift - heading north!

Upton WWarren

No John - the essence of the Upton Warren thread is that all information (sightings, photographs, stats, past history, management work etc) is all in one place and people can follow developments in a chronological order without having to dot around; there have been previous suggestions to split the Upton thread into various sub-divisions which have never got off the ground. FYI many of the UW regulars live in Birmingham and the Black Country and know exactly where to access information on the reserve.

Phil,
You should not be suggesting then that I post information of Birds on incorrect Counties.

Middleton lakes is in Staffs and Warks and Phil Andrews suggested all post to go in the West Midlands County. So what's the difference

No no no - you are para-phrasing my suggestion re Middleton which was that you concentrate all the postings into one of the three Middleton threads to bring all info together (focusing on the West Mids thread as by that hime it had the largest number of posts despite not having part of Middleton within its boundaries) and then just flag on the respective county threads as and when a rarity occurs.

If anyone still has the will to live I think we can conclude that Keith's bird was a Linnet with the additional feedback from the ID forum.

Upton Warrne

No no no - you are para-phrasing my suggestion re Middleton which was that you concentrate all the postings into one of the three Middleton threads to bring all info together (focusing on the West Mids thread as by that hime it had the largest number of posts despite not having part of Middleton within its boundaries) and then just flag on the respective county threads as and when a rarity occurs.

If anyone still has the will to live I think we can conclude that Keith's bird was a Linnet with the additional feedback from the ID forum.

Are you moderator on Bird's forum Phil

Middleton lakes is in Staffs and Warks and Phil Andrews suggested all post to go in the West Midlands County. So what's the difference

From my point of view? Upton is in Worcestershire and not any other county, so the suggestion is pointless.

There are three separate threads for Middleton in three different county forums, which does seem rather confusing. Do you post the same thing in all three? Or post in the relevant county depending where on the reserve a sighting was made?

Oh, I think it's a Linnet by the way. Legs don't look particularly pink or pale (darker than the cable on which it is perched), pale bill is an artefact of the light (but it looks grey to me anyway), buff colouring on flanks doesn't suggest Corn Bunting, no suggestion of coalesced 'splodge' of streaking in the centre of the breast and face/head markings more suggestive of Linnet... IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back