• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Nikon ED50 which eyepieces are suitable (1 Viewer)

I was worried that there might be an american eyepiece and a european one but my mind is now at ease.

I need to buy my scope still but I cannot decide yet on straight or angled, this is largely down to the fact that I have not chosen my adapter yet. Seeing Ricks photo's I can see that hand-holding can give good shot's but I am doubtful about my own abilities to get shots like that hand held.

If I was to get a ring type adapter like Kevin's then I would need an angled scope, If I were to get a SRB griturn swing type adapter it might be better if it was angled (does anyone know if it locks in position), and Rick you say this will not fit my zoom EP.

But If I could manage to get some sort of adapter that connected to the 52mm thread of my canon A590IS maybe I would be able to get a straight ED50 in which case I could locate birds quicker as well as potentially have a more stable set-up maybe could even use in conjunction with a beanbag.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Nikon FS1?

Ron Did you try the Olivon adapter with your zoom EP?

many thanks Pete

Ron Did you try the Olivon adapter with your zoom EP?

many thanks Pete
Hi Pete. Yes I did use the adapter with the zoom. This link shows a thread which includes some photos showing it fitted to the scope with the zoom eyepiece (post no. 11).

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=90115&highlight=Olivon

However, I would like to stress that the Olivon adapter does not fit the ED50 without a fair amount of modification. This was my own idea, which I cobbled up, and I cannot guarantee that it will not put stress on the eyepiece mounting and cause damage. (It uses the eyepiece to clamp the attachment ring in place.) I wouldn't want anybody to follow my example, damage their scope and blame me for it!

The ED50 is not the easiest scope to attach a camera to, unless it is an approved Nikon camera with the relevant Nikon adapters. The main advantage of the Olivon adapter for me, was that I could swing the camera out of the way, focus the scope and then flip it back into place. I found this easier than trying to focus using the camera's lcd.

Ron

Pete the issue with adapters is one of precision. To avoid any vignetting the adapter has to be able to align the camera lens with sub-millimeter precision. After building a handful of custom adapters for their cameras and fieldscope combos, Nikon apparently realized the futility of this endeavor as cameras only have a "shelf life" of a few months so now make the UA1 to fit any camera. But the UA1 will still only work with the DS eyepieces. The zoom cannot accomodate any brand of universal-type adapter because there is no room on the barrel to attach one and the twist-up eyecup cannot be removed.

Perhaps you should consider the Kowa 603/604 instead of the Nikon. The Kowa digiscoping system is very flexible and will accomodate your Canon A590 easily.

Rick

Last edited:
Clarification

well the good news is... the camera fits inside the eyepiece. but I'm confused, are there more than one Nikon MCII zoom eyepieces. See the attached photo's these are clearly different. But both are the MCII 13-40 zoom eyepiece part number 7467, aren't they????

Does anyone have the technical specifications for these eyepieces, are they different in terms of quality, field of view etc.?

And like others, I cannot understand the logic of Nikon applying the same model number to both eyepieces, I think Horokuru is correct when he says the 2nd photo is the latest '7467', but I remain confused as to why Nikon would change the body style of the eyepiece if it were only to give the appropriate magnification rating for the ED82, for Nikon it would have been so much easier just to change the mag markings on the eyepiece, I sense that there is more to this than meets the eye (so to speak).

Puzzling???, hope someone can provide the answers, bugs me this one.:stuck:

Last edited:
If I was to get a ring type adapter like Kevin's then I would need an angled scope...

Nope. I use the same set up with my ED82, which is straight, with equal ease.

The ring I made has a light press fit onto the rubber of a DS eyepiece. So, it stays put. The other diameter, where the lens of the camera goes in, is a close slip fit.

If you have a little mechanical aptitude it's not too hard to come up with something that will work, at least for testing purposes, before committing to a more permanent solution.

Hmmm that gives me something to think about. I am not technical myself and have no access to the machinery to make these but I know srb do custom fitted allignment collars although I have no idea how much they cost.

I am also trying to work out whether it is possible to attach my canon a series camera using FSA-1/2/3 plus a 52mm adapter either with or without step down rings.

Just thought I'd let you all know my ED50 arrived today. I am very pleased with it. I got the MCII zoom and the DS16 on the cheap (new and 2nd hand respectively). I bought the ROSE PINK :eek!: straight scope that is cheap at in-focus with a free stay on case which is actually pretty good. I was a little concerned that the zoom ep might not be much good (narrow fov/dim image etc) but so far I really like it.
I'll let you know how i get on digiscoping and birding. thanks to all for your advice!:t:

Last edited:
First digiscoping attempts

Just thought I would let you all know how I got along. As I said I struggled hand holding so I bought a cheapish adapter (the non swing out baader one) and my efforts improved dramatically. I took some shots of a pigeon and they came out better than I expected. The mallard is the sort of quality I was achieving before. Thanks for all your help. Pete

Attachments

• new digiscoping adapter 017.JPG
    new digiscoping adapter 017.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 159
  • new digiscoping adapter 001.JPG
    new digiscoping adapter 001.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 143
Ive made an adapter for my ed50 and Panasonic FX150. I have 16ds eyepiece and it seems to work great. Im a beginer so Ive not tried the manual settings yet. Im not quite sure how to post images so bear with me if it doesnt work first time. Here goes---------------

IMGP1148.jpg

IMGP1147.jpg

IMGP1146.jpg

IMGP1145.jpg

IMGP1144.jpg

Oh, well the links work but I was hoping the images would appear here. Anyone know what I did wrong?
By the way, to anyone interested ,the adapter is made of 3mm plywood all bonded with epoxy resin. The tufnol blocks are threaded for 3mm bolts to give precise alignment .The other 4 tufnol blocks were bonded to the base using the eyepice as a "mould" to make a perfect fit. It all fits firmly together using strong rubber bands.It is air release. I find I can locate and focus a subject entirely through lcd so no need to dismount camera. I will try and post a few pics I took today in dull weather and about 70 mtrs range.

Click the "Post Reply" icon below left. Under the Reply to Thread box you will see Additional Options. Click "Manage Attachements" button. A pop-up window will open where you can Browse for pics stored on your PC and Upload them. You will also see info about the kinds of files that can be uploaded and there max sizes.

hope this helps,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back