• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chlidonias Goes To Asia, part three: 2013 (1 Viewer)

My next destination after Ruoergai and Songpan was a place called Labahe, sort of south-west of Chengdu, and once again up in the mountains. When Richard Webb went to Ruoergai after Tibetan foxes he also went to Labahe after red pandas (see the last couple of entries if you've already forgotten about Richard Webb). From his trip report he made it sound like Labahe was positively overflowing with red pandas and so that and Ruoergai became the top two spots on my trip list. There's a very narrow window for good red panda viewing, basically from late October to mid-November, when the trees are losing their leaves and the pandas are actively foraging in the canopy on berries so they are easy to see. And that's pretty much why I started the trip at such a terrible time of year for birds in South Korea and Russia, because I had to fit them in before the optimum time for red pandas in China! I actually didn't think I was going to get to Labahe because not long before I was due to leave the Chinese government went and closed both of the two top red panda sites, Labahe and Wawu Shan. I had a back-up site called Longcanggou, but I didn't really know how to get there and I only had a vague idea of where it even was – I was going to figure all that out on the spot – but fortunately Labahe re-opened while I was travelling (in September I think), so I got to visit after all.

When I was a young lad I had the book version of David Attenborough's The Living Planet. Actually I had (still have) two book versions, the large-size one and the mid-size one. The first chapter talks about the Himalayas and in the mid-size version there is a full-page photo of a red panda sitting in a tree. When I think of red pandas, that picture is the one that comes into my head. When I was growing up I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever be going to look for red pandas in the wild!!

From Songpan I caught the 7.30am bus to Chengdu (127 Yuan, 8 hours). It terminated at the Chadianzi Station, and I transferred via subway and taxi to the Xinnanmen Station where I caught the 5pm bus to Ya'an (50 Yuan, 2 hours). I had no clue where to stay in Ya'an but there was a local hotelier waiting for customers at the bus station there and her hotel was just round the corner, so I got a room there for 100 Yuan. The next town to get to was Tianquan. Most independent travellers seemed to take a taxi from Tianquan to Labahe, but I had found two (older) reports which said there was a bus. One said it was at 10am and you need to get the 7.50am or earlier bus from Ya'an to Tianquan to make the connection; the other said the bus was at 1pm. I didn't know if there even still was a Labahe bus given that the park had only just reopened, but I got the earliest bus from Ya'an to Tianquan anyway, which as it happened was the 7.50am one (12 Yuan, one hour). When I got to Tianquan I found that the Labahe bus was at 12.30 (and also cost 12 Yuan), so I had a three and a half hour wait. (There's also an 8.30am bus but to get that one you would need to be staying in Tianquan the night before). Also the bus isn't actually a Labahe bus, it is a bus to Angzhouhe which is a nearby area. You get dropped at the reserve's entrance gate, which is 22km before the reception area, and then the staff there arrange a car for you for 20 Yuan. I didn't have to do this because we happened to pass one of the Labahe staff in his vehicle on the main road en route so the bus driver off-loaded me onto him (which meant we drove straight through the entry gate up to reception without stopping, so I never paid the entry fee, which I think is about 60 Yuan). I got a room in the chalets by reception for 200 Yuan per night; not cheap but not Tangjiahe prices at least!! (Just as an aside, on the way back I discovered that there is a direct bus from Chengdu to Tianquan and vice versa, so you don't need to change buses in Ya'an, but the Chengdu station for that bus is Shiyangchang which is a very inconveniently-located station in the southern outskirts of the city, so I wouldn't be doing that again). It's probably worth pointing out too that there are currently only two places to stay in the reserve now, at the reception chalets and at an expensive hotel a kilometre further up the road past reception. The other set of chalets up past the hotel seem to now be used just for staff and the other hotel even further up the road is under reconstruction. Why they need so many accommodations I don't know – according to a publicity booklet I saw the expensive hotel has 600 beds!!!

It was about 3pm-ish when I arrived at Labahe. As per usual with the nature reserves set up for tourism in China, nobody speaks any English, so my first job to tackle was trying to sort out how the place worked (meal times and things like that). The area where the red pandas are found is up a jeep track which runs from the reception area. The jeeps take visitors up and down, and there are a few trails and boardwalks up there. It isn't an extremely long track, about 8km to the start of “the panda zone” so to speak, and then maybe another 10km right to the end if the park map is to be believed, but it is all uphill and very steep so it doesn't make sense to try and walk it (at least not upwards!). The jeeps are priced per group, at 50 Yuan per person, which means that if you're alone you need to sit around waiting for others unless you want to pay the whole 400 Yuan yourself (about NZ$80). Fortunately there was a group going right that very moment and they said I could join in, and also kindly waited for me to get my cameras and everything organised. We stopped at about the 8km mark at a circular trail made up mostly of stone steps up a forest-covered hill and back down. This was right at the “panda zone” (there was even a red panda on the sign by the trail) so I kept my eyes peeled but no luck this first afternoon. There didn't even seem to be any birds around. I saw a couple of laughing thrushes which were probably hwameis, but the fog was so thick I couldn't really tell. Still, the ride gave me a good idea of what the road was like, what the forest was like, and just a good overall idea of things for the next few days.

Before I go any further I should probably describe the forest so you all have an idea of what it is like there. It is all mountainous of course, and a mix of conifers and deciduous trees. At the moment all the deciduous trees are in their red and yellow autumn colours. It is what I imagine the temperate forests of Europe or North America to look like at this time of year. The forest floor is covered almost everywhere in a waist-high carpet of bamboo (which makes it very hard to see a lot of the birds!) but elsewhere there are just sheets of moss, or big tumbly thickets of wild roses and sometimes a rhododendron or two. The roses are in fruit, and there is a particular type of tall deciduous tree which has lost most of its leaves but is covered in little red berries. It is this tree in which the red pandas feed and why this time of year is the best for seeing them (i.e. in winter they probably won't be in those trees and in summer they will be hidden in leaves).

That first evening I had dinner at the restaurant of the expensive hotel a kilometre up the road from reception. The group I had shared the car with was there (it was one of theirs birthday) and they convinced me to join them for a free meal. The real reason for eating at the restaurant there however, is that the dining room overlooks a salt-lick where sambar deer gather after dark. They even have a special viewing area just for deer-watchers! There were about ten sambar that night. I've seen sambar in the wild before, but never as well as this. They were maybe ten metres from the window, under lights, and through the binoculars it was as if it was day-time viewing. It was pretty special watching them that close. I suspect other kinds of animals also come to the lick later in the night after the lights are out, with only the sambar brave enough in the early evening. Later I walked further up the road for a few kilometres spot-lighting but found nothing. Returning to the reception chalets though I spotted a Himalayan tawny owl which was nice because I don't see a lot of owls.

Breakfast is included with the price of the room, so the next morning I performed my patented “stealing boiled eggs from the buffet so I don't need to pay for lunch” routine, and then sat around for over an hour waiting for enough other people to finish breakfast and get round to coming to reception for a jeep ride up the road. The area where Richard Webb saw his first panda was just past the start of the circular trail from yesterday, where there is a couple of toilets on the left of the track and a fenced area on the right. He says this is 6 or 7 km up the track, one of the park maps says it is 8km, and the dodgy map on the jeep ticket suggests it is about 10 or 12km (which it totally isn't!). You would know it when you saw it anyway. The fenced area is for red deer – I don't know why they are here but they are, all with ear-tags and the stags with their antlers sawn off. The toilets are now used for storing dried grasses for feeding the deer. Richard Webb saw his first red panda in a tree on the left of the track just passed the toilets. I looked carefully in all the trees but no pandas. I then took what I thought was a side-trail (but which the next day I learned was actually the main track to the long boardwalk) but there wasn't much happening there, so I returned to the jeep track and continued along what I thought was the main track, which curled up right round the deer pens and then coiled its way up the mountain. I never went all the way to the end of this road but it leads to where they are constructing a huge building which will be at the base of a cablecar system to the top of a nearby mountain – at the very summit of which they are going to be building yet another hotel!!

I know I shouldn't have been expecting finding red pandas to be easy but Webb's trip report was so full of pandas that I couldn't help it. And when you're expecting to find an animal easily and you don't do so quickly then you start feeling like you're wasting your time. Then, I saw a red panda! And despite my low mood up till then, I had only been looking for two hours and no matter what anyone says two hours to find an animal like a red panda is no time at all! He (or she; I'll just say it was a male) was sitting curled up in the open on a tree branch, looking remarkably like one of the big lumps of reddish moss which grow on all the trees here, but when I stopped to look at him through my binoculars he lifted his head and stared right back at me. Because he was up in the tree against the sky the photos were all pretty rubbish because he always ended up silhouetted. There was a narrow path cut through the bamboo right past the tree along which a water pipe was running, so I went along that and tried unsuccessfully to find a better vantage point where the panda wasn't against the sky. Never mind, I was just happy to see one!! The tree was one of those full of little red berries which had attracted not only the panda but also a variety of birds, the first ones I saw being a flock of chestnut thrushes which are black and red. Then a Darjeeling woodpecker turned up, which is black and red and white and fulvous. It was like this tree was reserved just for animals of those colours. A bird wave passed by under the tree through the bamboo as well, containing amongst others black-faced laughing thrushes and brown parrotbills (I'm just mentioning them because they were lifers). The panda seemed totally unfazed by me staring at him, just watching me right back for a while and then eventually deliberately turning his head away and going back to sleep! I figured he was going to be in the tree for a while, so I left him to his sleep and continued up the road to see if I could find any others. I kept going slowly up the road for a couple more hours but there wasn't much to be seen. I did see a Swinhoe's striped squirrel (the first of several) and, remarkably, managed to get some good photos of it! If you've ever seen a striped squirrel – or, indeed, any of the smaller squirrel species – you'll know how tricky that is to do when they are awake! Back at the panda tree the panda had awoken and started moving round a bit, feeding on the berries. I still couldn't get any very good photos but I stayed there for quite a while watching him. When I got back down to the deer pens, I was surprised to find a second panda, once again just sitting in the naked branches of a tree completely un-hidden. Because this one was right where Richard Webb had seen his first panda I would guess this was quite possibly the very same individual, perhaps even in the very same tree. This one was feeding on berries too, but wasn't quite as relaxed as my first one. After maybe five minutes she (I'll call it a she because I called the first one a he) adopted a very interesting pose, where she stretched her body out vertically behind a thick branch, head-downwards, and froze. I think this must be a defensive “hiding” posture, because from the point of view of the predator (me), the black belly fur creates a disruptive effect behind the branch. If I didn't know the panda was there I would probably have walked right on by and not even seen her. She stayed like that until I left. (I didn't stay too long because I didn't want to keep disturbing her, so I don't know how long she would have stayed in that position otherwise). After dinner I went spotlighting for a bit along the main road past the expensive hotel, and saw a bunch of sambar and a Reeves' muntjac. The muntjac also displayed an interesting reaction to the torchlight which I hadn't seen before. When the torch was on her she turned her head away and just stared in the opposite direction, as if knowing that her glowing eyes were giving her away. When I moved the light off her she immediately swivelled her head back to look at me. Light on her, look away, light off her, look back, and so on.

I was the only person at breakfast the next morning. This meant there was no buffet, just my own individual breakfast, and I had to pay to get some extra food to take away for my lunch. It also meant there was nobody else to share a jeep with to get up the top of the road. The woman at the reception said it would cost me 300 Yuan for the car by myself, an amount I didn't really want to pay. I went away and got my gear and then hung around the reception for a bit in case someone did turn up. As far as I could work out (i.e. with her speaking no English and me speaking no Chinese) there was nobody else staying at the park right then. Eventually I said I would just go in the jeep myself. She got on the phone and then said “50 Yuan”. I thought that was nice, they had taken pity on poor old me and were just charging me the part-rate and not the full-rate. I took the ticket and waited, and waited some more, and then I kept on waiting. Also I waited a bit. No car came. Then a girl turned up who did speak a little English who explained things to me: there was no car, I would have to walk after all. This was slightly confusing to me given that the woman had already sold me the ticket for the car. But no, there was no car and the woman would refund my 50 Yuan, which she did. A jeep arrived right then. What about that one? No, that one isn't going up the mountain. Well what about that one, or that one? I mean, there are three jeeps all just sitting there doing nothing. Nope, none of those are going up the mountain, I would have to walk. You can walk to here, I was told, with the 6km mark being pointed out. But I'm going to the 18km mark I say. This caused some consternation because this was a long way to walk up the mountain. Well.....there is that mini-bus right there which is taking a group of people up, in which you can ride! Sometimes I really don't understand China!

The group going up in the mini-bus were about ten nature photographers who, as it happened, were staying at the chalets. They were going to the boardwalk at the end of the road which was also where I was planning on going so it worked out well. The boardwalk runs for several kilometres up and round a mountain and then steeply downhill before ending up at the road again, although several kilometres down the road from where you start out of course. The boardwalk isn't in the best of shape anymore, but at least it is still mostly in one piece. It is a very nice walk too. The first part is through forest, the second through an open expanse of the waist-high bamboo. There are obviously a lot of takin around here because their trails were regular through the bamboo fields, and there were often deposits of dung on the boardwalk where-ever their trails crossed it. I didn't see any though. In fact I didn't see much of anything. I really made a poor show of birding the whole time I was at Labahe. I don't know why, because looking for pandas and looking for birds was basically the same activity (walking along the roads looking in the trees). I really was trying because there are some beautiful birds there which I did want to see, especially in the babbler department, but I just couldn't seem to find any. But funnily enough I didn't really care because Red Panda!! Speaking of red pandas, I saw one from the boardwalk, up a valley in the top of a tree feeding on berries. There were only two of the photographer group at the spot so I pointed it out to them and they were extremely happy! It didn't stay around long so nobody else got to see it. Back at the road the group all left in their bus back to the chalets for lunch, but I walked back up the road until I reached the start of the “panda zone” again. The one from yesterday afternoon by the deer pens wasn't there, so I continued on to where I had seen my original one. Just before I got to the spot I happened to look up a rough bulldozer track to my right, and there was a panda sitting curled up in an isolated tree. The funny thing with the pandas is that while they are fairly obvious sitting in the open branches you could still easily miss them if they are curled up because they look like balls of moss or knots in the branches – but they have the habit of lifting their head when you pass and staring straight at you, and then their bright white faces immediately give away their position. This panda was in a far better position for photography than the last three I had seen because I could get up on a bank opposite the tree and then there was a mountain in the background behind the panda instead of sky, so it wasn't silhouetted. It stayed curled in a ball looking at the camera. I couldn't tell if it was calm or stressing out – their cuddly faces don't give much away! – so just to be safe I didn't stay too long. Three or four minutes further up the road was the tree where I had seen the first panda the day before, and sure enough he was still there. I watched him for a bit, then carried on even further but there were no more pandas to be found so I returned the way I had come. I passed Panda Number One, and when I came to the one in the other tree I saw he had become active and started feeding. I got back up on the bank again and got some really good photos. However this time it was obvious that after a little while, maybe ten minutes or so, he was starting to get stressed by my presence (he started doing the stretch-out-and-hide-behind-the-branch trick) so I began to make my departure. But first, not sure why, I thought I'd have a quick scan of the hillside further up the bulldozer track – and there was another panda in a tree! The fourth for the day, with three of them literally within a few minutes walk of one another. Just outstanding. I'll tell ya, I am loving Sichuan!!!

Back at the reception/chalet area I ran into the photography group and showed them my last panda photos (the good ones!). They were stunned that I had seen four in one day. In fact they thought they were misinterpreting what I was saying. One of the women started berating the leader that the reason I had seen the pandas was because I had stayed up there, having taken my lunch up with me, and not wasted time going back to the chalets for lunch which was probably true enough. Being a charitable sort, and because it would get me a ride back up the mountain the next day, I said I would go with them in the morning and show them where to look. (I should probably point out that all the group only spoke Chinese, so when I write about conversations what happens in reality is that every couple of sentences takes about ten minutes of complex back-and-forth involving mutually-unintelligible languages, hand signals, drawing pictures, etc, before we understand each other!).

After dinner I went out spotlighting up the main road past the expensive hotel. No owls or muntjacs this night, instead a leopard cat! I've seen leopard cats in the wild in Malaysia but I don't remember them being that small so I think it must have been a young one. It certainly didn't seem bothered by me shining a torch at it. It just sat on the bank above the road, in that hunched-up way that contented cats have with their feet tucked underneath, and only when I got too close, within maybe ten metres, did it slink away. On the way back a couple of hours later it was sitting up in one of the trees and just stared back at me, cool as a cucumber. That is what I like about spotlighting – you never know what you're going to get. Some nights you get nothing, other nights something really cool. (For those not familiar with what a leopard cat is, it is a small wild cat with spots like a leopard; it is not an actual leopard or I would not be so calm about waving a torch in its face!). I went several kilometres up the road but otherwise only saw sambar. Really apart for sambar, everything I saw when spotlighting was just in the one kilometre stretch between the reception chalets and the expensive hotel. I don't normally take flash photos of nocturnal vertebrates so when I go out spot-lighting I just take my little point-and-shoot camera for spiders and insects. However with the leopard cat he was just so unconcerned that I did take two photos with that little camera and he just sat there. They weren't great photos obviously, but word soon got round the reserve and for the next two days everyone kept coming up to me asking to see the photos. Everyone was very interested which was really good (at some parks the staff seem to have little interest in the wildlife). The photos also made the nature photographer group doubly jealous!!

The next day was my last at Labahe. The sky was blue as blue can be, not a cloud in sight, and the sun was surprisingly hot. Before going up the mountain for pandas, the photography group wanted to see the local Tibetan macaques get fed. One of the park staff blew on a whistle until the monkeys came swarming out of the forest onto the road, and then he threw a bucket-full of corn in handfuls out over the ground. The young Tibetan macaques are really cute, all round and fluffy like teddy bears with teeth (sort of like the Vulcan sehlat I guess), but the adults, especially the big males, are aggressive-looking things. Feeding macaques around tourist spots really is just asking for trouble and I'm surprised they do it here. Once that was finished we went up the mountain and I quickly found the group two red pandas (I can now legitimately say I have guided people to find red pandas!), one of which was probably one of the ones from the day before and the other probably not. After the group left I continued on up the road and found a third panda which was very skittish indeed, probably because it was in a low tree; it bolted down onto the ground as soon as it saw me and vanished through the bamboo. Back down the road the very first panda I had seen on day one was back in his tree – third day in a row, and again making four pandas in one day. Over the course of my three full days at Labahe I had made ten separate panda sightings, comprised of at least seven (possibly eight) individual pandas. Not too shabby! Almost makes up for completely failing to find even one Lady Amherst's pheasant whilst there!!! Richard Webb wrote in his report that he saw “up to twelve Lady Amherst's a day” there, but I think he made a typo and really meant “up to zero a day” because that is exactly how many I saw! I did find a single feather from a female lying on the road, but that was it. Pheasants really do hate me!

I didn't go spot-lighting on my final night because the weather turned to rain – not heavy rain, just that unpleasant misty rain that makes spot-lighting difficult because the water droplets reflect the light and everything is wet so you get reflections everywhere. The next morning was still rainy (all the rest of my time there was great weather luckily), so while I was waiting for my ride out to the main road where the bus was I chatted to the manager of the reserve who I had discovered did speak quite good English, with the added bonus of her being very attractive and having a fondness for wearing very short skirts. She had seen a giant panda by the road just near the expensive hotel in October. She also said that the reserve had not closed but had actually been open all year long! Not sure what to make of that.

And just to end this little panda tale, I will return to macaques and tourists by providing a transcript of a sign by the roadside at Labahe which did nothing to sooth my macaque worries:

Notice for visiting the ecological monkey area
Respected tourists:
In order to assure you can experience the fun of viewing the wild animals, please consciously abide by ecological monkey area notes as following, thank you for your cooperation!
1.Those who in gorgeous color such as red, yellow, green are not allowed to get close to the monkey, or else you will be attacked by them.
2.Don't scream, run, touch or make tricks the monkeys when you get close to them. Please specially remind the old and the young how to view them in safe.
3.In order to keep the monkey healthy, please do not feed them with the food you bring with; you can feed them with the feed which the scenic spot specially offered.
4.Because the monkeys are greedy, you shouldn't feed them with all your food on hands but little by little, please feed them by the guide of keepers.
5.If you are grasped or bitten by them, please don't be panic, you should wash the wound with soap water, then go to the hospital to inject Rabies Vaccine immediately.

BIRDS:
(I messed up the numbering in the last list from Ruoergai/Baxi so the total appears to have gone down a bit)

234) Himalayan tawny owl Strix aluca nivicola*
235) Grey-hooded parrotbill Paradoxornis zappeyi
236) Chestnut thrush Turdus rubrocanus
237) Darjeeling woodpecker Dendrocopos darjellensis
238) Black-faced laughing thrush Garrulax affinis
239) Brown parrotbill Paradoxornis unicolor
240) Three-toed parrotbill Paradoxornis paradoxus
241) Black-browed tit Aegithalos bonvaloti
242) Three-banded rosefinch Carpodacus trifasciatus
243) White-throated dipper Cinclus cinclus

*I'm not sure whether to split this or not. Either tawny owl or Himalayan owl would be lifers, but I'm not sure of the reasons for splitting nivicola from aluca and whether it is justified.

MAMMALS:

32) Sambar Cervus unicolor
33) Red panda Ailurus fulgens
34) Leopard cat Prionailurus bengalensis

Great reading. I would really love to see a panda in the wild. On average, what was the distance between you and the pandas?
if you imagine a tree with a few metres of shrubbery in front, then the panda would be in that tree (but usually up near the top). The panda I got the best photos of I could literally have stood under the tree it was in (but I didn't because that would have stressed it out too much). Some were further away -- the furthest would have been one or two hundred metres I guess -- but most were closer.

I have put some photos of various animals here: http://www.zoochat.com/gallery/china-wildlife

Amazing shots! If anyone else is tempted to follow in your footsteps, please drop me a line as I would love to visit some of these areas too! :)

skink1978 said:
What a fantastic few days! Who cares about pheasants when there's Red Pandas and Leopard Cats?!

Thank you for just a wonderful travel report.

Traveling in countries without speaking the language or knowing the customs takes real moxie.
From the safety of our armchairs, we salute you!

Indeed!

I'm so pleased that the red pandas appeared for you. They are one of my favorite animals, and its great that you had increasingly better views of quite a number of them. I hope I'll get to see them in their native habitat some day too.

Magnificent shots of the panda - and congratulations on so comprehensively naiiling two of your top targets. My luck with Lady A's is similar - just fleeting views of a single female while all around me have to fight of swarms of males with a stick!

Cheers
Mike

Amazing shots! If anyone else is tempted to follow in your footsteps, please drop me a line as I would love to visit some of these areas too! :)
if you don't want to go it alone, you could always contact Sid (China Guy on Birdforum) who is a guide there. Have a look for Richard Webb's trip report on Mammalwatching which has costs etc for a guided trip.

Magnificent shots of the panda - and congratulations on so comprehensively naiiling two of your top targets. My luck with Lady A's is similar - just fleeting views of a single female while all around me have to fight of swarms of males with a stick!
it's funny how animal-watching goes isn't it? Sometimes they are everywhere and sometimes nowhere; and some people see certain animals everywhere and others see them nowhere. And then there's that weird happenstance where have to search for ever for a certain animal but then once you find it, suddenly you start seeing it regularly.

For everyone else who has posted as well, thanks very much for reading, and yes Labahe is magnificent. If you have the opportunity to go someday then definitely do so!

You may have noticed, if you have been paying close enough attention, that I cannot find exotic pheasants. The sum total for the trip up to this point has been two species, namely a pair of blood pheasants at Wanglang and lots of ring-necked pheasants all over the place. At Tangjiahe I missed golden pheasants; at Wanglang I missed koklass and blue eared pheasants; at Baxi I missed the same; at Labahe I missed Lady Amherst's pheasant and Temminck's tragopans. So it was with some misgivings that I stuck to my plan of going to Balang Shan. The sole reason birders go there is to see gamebirds, in this case white eared, blood and koklass pheasants, Chinese monals, Tibetan snowcocks and snow partridges (and lower down at Wolong, golden pheasants). You may start guessing now as to how many of those species I saw whilst there.

Balang Shan is a mountain some way out of Chengdu (“shan” means mountain, hence the proliferation of Sichuan place names like Emei Shan, Wawu Shan, Erlang Shan, etc). The place for the pheasants is actually the pass which crosses the mountain, and there are two towns for which to base oneself for the search. Wolong is on the east end of the pass and Rilong is on the west end. Wolong was the site of the most famous giant panda breeding centre in China but it was destroyed in the 2008 earthquake and all the pandas were moved to Bifengxia by Ya'an and to the Chengdu Panda Base (the latter is where all the tourists now go to hug a panda). The town sort of collapsed a bit after that because of the total loss of tourist revenue but it still exists and you can still stay in hotels there. There is some good forest right near Wolong as well in which golden pheasants can be found. I had been planning on staying at Wolong because it is quite close to Chengdu (hence less travel time) and then hiring a driver to take me up to the Balang Shan pass, but with some last-minute reading I found that the town of Rilong, at about 3200 metres altitude, appeared to be much closer to the pheasant area (although actually it is about the same distance in reality) and I figured that would mean less expense to get to with a driver. So the day before leaving Chengdu I changed my mind from Wolong to Rilong, and quickly found out the bus routes. The helpful girl at the reception of my Chengdu hostel, Mr. Panda (that's the hostel name, not the girl's name), rang the bus stations and we found that currently there is just one bus per day from Chengdu to get to Rilong, but that bus goes first to a town called Xiao Jin and from there I had to get a second bus to Rilong. The person on the phone stressed that you cannot get direct to Rilong on the Xiao Jin bus.

The bus left the Chadianzi bus station in Chengdu at 6.30am. I asked at the bus station before leaving if I could get to Rilong direct but the answer was no, there was no direct bus, I had to go to Xiao Jin and then get another bus to Rilong. I knew that the bus went through the Balang Shan pass to get to Xiao Jin so I guessed Rilong must lie down a side road or something. It took nine hours to get to Xiao Jin. The pass is incredibly winding and really is insanely high. It tops out at 4600 metres and the mountain peaks around are up above 5000 and 6000 metres. And it is all completely open, no forest, so you look out the bus window and all you see is a straight drop a couple of hundred feet to a lower part of the road you came along earlier. The bus got into Xiao Jin just after 3.30pm and I found a bus to Rilong which left at 4pm. Much as I had suspected really, the bus then went for two hours back along the very road I had just come in on and stopped in Rilong which was one of the very towns I had passed through four hours before. Just a little annoying!! However the bus driver dropped me at the Riyue Youth Hostel where the staff speak some English which was a great help in then arranging a driver for the next morning to get to “the pheasant zone”, so silver linings and all that. The hostel was closing for the winter in a couple of days so I could only stay two nights, but that was alright because I was planning on staying in Rilong two nights for Balang Shan, and then transferring over to Wolong for a couple of nights just for golden pheasant. The downside to the hostel closing for the winter in a couple of days was that they didn't have much in the way of food left for their restaurant!

The cost of getting a car from Rilong to Balang Shan was 260 Yuan (about NZ$52), considerably less than what I had been told for the cost from the Wolong side (about NZ$160!), so that was good. The driver picked me up early in the morning so I could get up there by dawn. Rilong is at around the 140km mark on the S303 road and the stretch of road where everyone goes for pheasants is at the 94-92km mark. Handily, there are prominent kilometre markers all along the road. Less handily, I found out later in the day that the kilometre markers have all changed position so the 94-92km in the older bird reports are apparently no longer the same as the 94-92km markers on the road today! Anyway, as the sky lightened it was as clear as could be and I was glad it wasn't raining or snowing or foggy or any of those other things which hamper mountain birding. Then we got to the 100km marker and entered the thickest fog layer I have been in in a long time. We got to the 92km marker and the visibility was about twenty feet. Nevertheless, being mountain fog, it came and went in waves, so a hillside would be clear for a few minutes and then obscured again, then another hillside might be clear for a few minutes, and so on. I walked down the road for about a kilometre, then back up the road to about km96. Nothing! Literally nothing. Except yaks but they don't count. Heading back to the van, at about km93 I saw my first birds for the day, a pair of white-cheeked starlings which hopped on up the road ahead of me, as starlings do. Not a happy morning for one of the starlings though: out of nowhere a Eurasian sparrowhawk came screaming in and ended its life. Then just below me on the slope I saw a pheasant scuttling across the grass. From the shape and the patch of white I caught, I thought it was a Chinese monal, but when I got my binoculars on it it turned out to be a male koklass pheasant, one of the species I had missed at Wanglang. Then the fog came back and the pheasant was gone.

I debated whether we should drive back up the road where I knew there was no fog, or keep heading down where it may or may not be clear. I decided to go down for a bit first, and then go back up. Good choice as it turned out. There's a tunnel at about 91 km, currently blocked at either end so you take a side road around the hill, and on the other side we stopped so I could have a scan of the slopes. There was less fog here than higher up but it was still thick, and there was nothing there but large-billed crows. As I was about to get back in the van I saw someone non-Chinese walking up the road towards us. His first words were “you must be Israel” – and indeed I was. It turned out to be Sid (Birdforum's China Guy)! I had been wondering if I was going to be running into him at some point. And that is how I found out that the kilometre markers have been changed, and that in fact the pheasant area where the monals and white eared pheasants are best seen is right here on the opposite side of the tunnel from Rilong (although it is well worth pointing out that Jens Thalund from Birdforum saw his monal, snowcocks and white eared pheasants between the current 92-94km markers earlier this year). Sid had actually just seen a Chinese monal before I arrived, way up the slope, during gaps in the fog but of the white eared pheasants there had been not a peep. We waited a while, then Sid and his client went off after snowcocks. I saw a gorgeous male white-winged grosbeak really well, perched on top of some pine trees just down the slope, which made me happy. The fog never cleared from the place where the monals were, so after a bit I headed back towards Rilong. At km96 where the fog had started to dissipate, I sent the van ahead to km99 and walked those three kilometres to see what I could see, the entirety of which turned out to be one lammergeier, one Himalayan buzzard being attacked by one common kestrel, two hill pigeons, and a small group of yellow-billed choughs (which I had been hoping to see, because I had so far on this trip only seen the far more common red-billed choughs). At somewhere around about km113 we caught up with Sid again at a hillside where the snowcocks are usually seen. Not today they weren't. It was a pretty bad morning for gamebirds all round really. There were flocks of what Sid said were plain mountain finches there too but I never got a proper look at them except in flight so I didn't count them. On the way back to Rilong I stopped at a spot with pine trees which I think was the one Sid said was good for crested tit-warblers and Przewalski's nuthatches, two species I haven't seen. I didn't see them, but I was rather surprised to see a Siberian chipmunk! I didn't think they were here but it certainly wasn't a Tamiops and some googling shows they are found at Mengbi Shan which isn't a world away so it must have been one. This was the first chipmunk I had seen in China, and means that I have now seen them in all three of the countries of this trip so far (South Korea, Russia and now China).

Back in Rilong in the early afternoon I stopped for some food back at the hostel. I knew that right in Rilong there was the entrance to a reserve called Changpinggou which I thought I might go to for a couple of hours birding. I knew (from John and Jemi Holmes' 2006 trip report) that from the entrance you have to take a bus for 7km to the start of a boardwalk and that there is apparently some good birdy habitat up there. At the hostel they told me that the entry fee was 90 Yuan and that the last bus back from the boardwalk was at 5.30pm, so I figured I would have about two hours up there. The entrance, very conveniently, was only 400 metres from the hostel! I went to the ticket office and asked what time the next bus was. They said 4.30pm. I looked at my watch and it was only 3.20pm. I went back to the hostel instead.

My plan for the second day was to go look for the alpine pheasants again at Balang Shan in the morning and then go straight from there to Wolong where I would stay for a couple of nights to look for golden pheasants. There is no bus in or out of Wolong any more due to the condition of the road. Instead there are shared taxis, the cost per person being 150 Yuan (NZ$30) from Rilong. However there is only one per day, at 9am, which didn't fit in with me wanting to look for pheasants first. The other option was just to pay for a whole car for one person which is 500 Yuan (NZ$100). This was a lot of money for me but I would have been paying 260 Yuan for the Balang Shan jaunt anyway, plus the 150 Yuan for the shared taxi would make 410 Yuan, so I figured 500 is not much more and it would allow me to stop where-ever I wanted along the way.

The same driver picked me up in the morning, except this time he didn't have his blue van, he had an ambulance. And that's not some local slang term, it was an actual ambulance with lights and everything. It's probably the best sort of vehicle for me to be travelling in anyway. First stop was the snowcock slope at c.km113. Sid had said the snowcocks and snow partridges come out here when the morning sun hits the slope. The morning was much colder than the previous one, and there was a lot more snow everywhere. I hopped about on the side of the road trying to keep warm, not very successfully I may add! It was bone-numbingly cold. It was a good thing all my stuff was in the ambulance because it meant I could get a second pair of woollen socks to put on. And still my toes felt like they were going to fall off! Alpine accentors buzzed around nearby (my fourth accentor of the trip) and the flocks of plain mountain finches were back except this time they obligingly kept landing near the road enabling me to look at them properly (and even get some photos!). It was a bit better when the sun poked high enough over the opposite mountain to hit the road and take the chill off me, but still no gamebirds showed up. After an hour and a half I was just too cold, despite the sun, and I gave up. There were still the other pheasants to look for after all.

We drove over the pass and saw the same thing as yesterday morning – a great mass of fog lower down the mountains. This fog layer just seems to sit right at the “pheasant zone” – not above, not below, only right where I want to look for pheasants! At km95 I got out and sent the ambulance ahead to km92. In this stretch was where Jens saw his pheasants and I saw the koklass yesterday, so it was worth a walk. The fog began at about km94 and was far thicker than the morning before. There was literally about ten feet of visibility. It was so thick that the headlights from cars and trucks just thirty feet away were invisible, which didn't make me feel very safe, especially with some of the drivers going at the same speed they would have been in clear conditions! And unlike yesterday, there were few gaps in the fog; it was pretty much just a 3km walk through pea soup. I did see the white-cheeked starling from the morning before, now all alone which was sad, and then about thirty metres further on the sparrowhawk sitting on a powerline. Once back in the ambulance we drove to the other side of the tunnel and parked once more. There's a good viewing point just along the road from the tunnel and from here I could hear white eared pheasants calling to each other to keep in contact in the fog. A fat lot of good that does me!! But then the fog just all vanished from that particular area, leaving the whole hillside below me clear. Of the pheasants there was no sign, and they had stopped calling. I wandered around the edge of the viewing spot looking down everywhere I could; no pheasants. Then I thought I might walk up the road a little more and maybe I could see some different bits of the hillside. I did that.....and there was a party of white eared pheasants! They were quite a long way down the hill but through the binoculars I could watch them foraging about amongst the bushes. There were about ten or so of them. I got some distant “record shots” with my camera, but they aren't very good (by which I mean they are really bad). The pheasants actually weren't far above a lower stretch of the road and I wondered if I should drive down there and try to see them closer, or whether I should stay up here and keep looking for the monals. Tough decision, but the monals won out. Not for too long though, because the fog never got any better and the high areas above the road where the monals were never became clear at all, so after another half an hour I made the call to give up on them. I did see a peregrine falcon though, perched on a tree, so that species is finally on my life list!! I had mentally noted the spot on the lower stretch of road closest to where the white eared pheasants were, which due to the extremely winding nature of the road turned out to actually be about seven or eight kilometres drive, and once there I headed up the slope to see if I could sneak up on them. Here was where I discovered that trying to scramble quickly up a very steep mountainside at an altitude of 4000-odd metres is a little exhausting! The driver, still down on the road, spotted the pheasants moving off across the hill towards the bushes and called out where they were. Then I had to move even faster, and by the time I saw the birds I was puffing so hard I couldn't focus the camera!! I managed to get a lot of very blurry photos and maybe a couple of average ones. But I saw them a lot closer than before so I was happy.

Next stop: Wolong. I found a hotel with a room for 50 Yuan. There were collared finchbills in the trees outside my window. Behind the town is a steep hillside covered in scraggly pine plantation and scrubby forest. This was where golden pheasants were supposed to be common and why I was here. I wandered along the main road until I found what seemed to be an access trail and headed in. What I found was not a lot! Under the pines moving around was easy because there was no undergrowth, but all the other trails seemed to be very rough indeed. Some were obviously used but others not so much. Basically I did what I often do, and found what appeared to be trails and then treated them as if they were trails! What then happens is that I spend a lot of time worming through vines and thickets and not really getting anywhere bird-wise. For three hours I struggled about all over the hill, with the only birds seen being a few babblers (streak-throated fulvettas, Elliot's laughing thrushes and a group of Chinese babax – the last one was a lifer so I was happy with that one at least). Then I got sick of it and decided to go back to the hotel. I found the trail I came in on and when almost back at the road I made a split-second choice to try a little trail which I had ignored coming in because it had appeared to head down towards the road again. I walked along it and it petered out and disappeared after just a couple of minutes. Up the slope I saw some small brown bird bobbing behind the base of a small tree, probably a laughing thrush of some sort digging in the leaf litter. I had a look through my binoculars – and discovered the “small bird” was actually the end of the tail of a female golden pheasant! And behind her was another female golden pheasant! I don't think they had seen me but they knew something was wrong, because they put their heads up and flicked their tails, and then walked quickly up the slope and into the undergrowth higher up. They didn't run, just walked in that brisk way you have when you feel like there's something creepy happening but don't want to freak out and run just yet. I clambered up the hill after them but I was a lot slower than they were. It was the sort of steepness where if someone was standing a couple of feet in front of you, their feet would be level with your eyes. The pheasants had gone by the time I got up there of course, but I found myself back on a higher part of the trail I had just come down from. That's the kind of hill this is, where a bird the size of a pheasant can be literally a couple of metres below you and you have no idea at all that it is there. I went back to the hotel extra happy. They may not have been male golden pheasants but they were still golden pheasants, and that made three pheasant species in two days for me, which by my standards is downright astonishing!

Just near Wolong is a reserve called Wuyipeng. The entrance is only 5km up the road so the next morning I walked there. It was a bit of a late start (9am) because of having to wait for the hotel's restaurant to open for breakfast and some food for lunch. Along the way I saw some more Chinese babax and other common birds. Wolong sits at about the 45-ish km mark on the S303, and Wuyipeng is dead on the 50km mark. There's a little foot-bridge across the river on the left of the road, although the way to get to the bridge took some finding because you have to wend between people's houses to get there. On the other side of the bridge take the rough foot-track directly to the left which soon leads to a paved road and about 50 metres to the right along the paved road is a narrow track (on your left) signposted for Wuyipeng. There's actually a larger bridge (able to take cars) further along the river and the paved road connects to that, so you could come that way as well. There are a couple of signposts at the entrance to the track saying something like “Nature Reserve Core Area: No Unauthorised Entry” but I ignored them given that there were vegetable plots on either side. If people can farm there with no permit then I can enter with no permit! That's my philosophy. Up the track a little bit next to a cabbage plot there was a barrier of branches but I climbed over it and continued. There were two trails then, one going left downhill and one straight ahead uphill, so I took the uphill one because if there's an easy trail and a hard trail my brain stops working and I always take the hard trail.

It wasn't really that hard, just upwards. There were a couple of slips to negotiate but nothing major. Coming back down was more difficult than going up because some bits were so steep. The forest is really nice there, mostly pine at the bottom, then turning to bamboo higher up. Not many birds though. I saw some black-faced and Elliot's laughing thrushes, and a flock of the lovely sooty tits which I haven't seen since Tangjiahe.The only new bird for the day was barred laughing thrush, which are gorgeous birds. I really like laughing thrushes. Some are a bit plain – like the plain laughing thrush Garrulax davidi – but most are very attractive birds, not always brightly coloured but always very elegant and smartly-attired. But I was mainly at Wuyipeng to find a male golden pheasant to go with the females from the day before. About two-thirds of the way up I paused at a bend, and just as I did so I saw a male golden pheasant just inside the bamboo at the next bend. Shockingly brightly coloured. How they don't get eaten by everything in existence I don't know. Like the females yesterday I don't know if he even knew I was there, he was just stalking slowly through the bamboo, pecking here and there. There was no point trying to get a photo where he was, behind all the bamboo, but I could see him easily enough with the binoculars. I have seen probably hundreds of golden pheasants in aviaries but nothing compares to seeing a male one in the wild slipping through a bamboo forest on a Chinese mountainside!!

Earlier in this post I mentioned how it costs so much more to get to Balang Shan from Wolong than from Rilong. Walking back to Wolong from Wuyipeng I was offered a lift, for 100 Yuan. “Get off mate, it's only 5km!” was along the lines of my reply. He put the price down to 50 Yuan but I'm not desperate to throw money away so I continued walking. A few minutes later someone else offered me a lift for 50 Yuan. The moral of the story is that if you are an independent birder who needs to hire a driver to get to Balang Shan, then stay in Rilong and not Wolong!!

To get back to Chengdu from Wolong you take a 4WD shared-taxi for 50 Yuan to the town of Dujiangyan two hours away, and then a half-hour bullet train to Chengdu's North Railway Station or a one hour bus to the Chadianzi Bus Station (I took the bus because the taxi stop is just round the corner from the bus station). Most of the way to Dujiangyan looks like the earthquake happened yesterday. Many parts of the road are simply one-lane tracks bulldozed through rubble. There are a few long tunnels along the way and it is a bit freaky going through them and seeing boulders and other debris lying along the walls. Even five years later you can still get an idea of the magnitude of the quake from the results on the landscape. What is really sobering though, is that somewhere like Labahe is spending millions on completely unnecessary and superfluous hotels while just a couple of hours away there are towns without even proper roads connecting them to the outside world.

244) Koklass pheasant Pucrasia macrolopha
245) White-winged grosbeak Mycerobas carnipes
246) Himalayan buzzard*
247) Yellow-billed chough Pyrrhocorax graculus
248) Alpine accentor Prunella collaris
249) Plain mountain finch Leucosticte nemoricola
250) White eared pheasant Crossoptilon crossoptilon
251) Peregrine falcon Falco peregrinus
252) Chinese babax Babax lanceolatus
253) Golden pheasant Chrysolophus pictus
254) Barred laughing thrush Garrulax lunulatus

*I know the Himalayan buzzard has been split from the common buzzard but I'm confused by the scientific name for it now. Is it Buteo burmanicus or Buteo refectus, or is it that other one, Buteo hodgsoni? I found the thread here on Birdforum about it (in the Taxonomy department) but that didn't clear it up for me at all!

Great you got the pheasants!

On the buzzard guess depends on the authority but at least as far as IOC is concerned (which I follow for the most part) then Himalayan is burmanicus and the list has an explicit comment saying refectus is not a valid name for it.

Hi Chlidonias,
you are really picking up speed now after a rough start to your trip back in late summer. Congrats on your Red Pandas at Labahe. Being a birds-only kinda guy myself, well mostly, Red Panda is one of those mamals that really could make me consider straying from 'my path'.
I wasn't aware that the KM markers at Balangshan had been altered that much, but that might explain why I couldn't hear any Wood Snipe displaying there in May, at what I thought was the right place.
I found the Golden Pheasants to be quite common around Wolong, judging by the number of calling birds at least, but only managed to connect with a single bird, which thankfully was a male, at around the same place you got yours, and they truly are spectacular creatures.
I also had quite a few Lady A's at mid level on Emei, but again they were far easier to hear calling than actually get to see, but I chanced upon a male next to the track, when it was moving about in low bamboo.
Are you going to try your luck at Temminck's Tragopan next somewhere?

More on your recommendation about staying in Rilong rather than Wolong. It was explained to us by Sid, that the guy who owns the main western-style hotel in Wolong town also monopolizes all of the transportation for foreigners in the area. So most foreigners are stuck paying his outrageous prices and using his less than cooperative drivers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back