• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bookmarks not working (1 Viewer)

Stranger

Help please
Switched on the computer this evening only to find that the bookmarks tab does not appear to be working on BT Yahoo.
It looks as though I have lost all my bookmarks and cannot edit or add new bookmarks.
It is something that has happened in the past and rebooting or restarting the computer usually puts it right.
I have tried all the usual ploys i.e pleading,swearing and threatening to chuck the damn thing out of the window, all to no avail.
I suppse my next option is to reload the startup disc (if I can find it) unless any of you computer wizards out there have a solution

I'm guessing you're using Internet Explorer - If so, try this...

On the menu bar at the top of the browser go to File/Import and Export.../Check "Export to a file"/Check "Favourites"/ continue on and save to a place you'll remember.

Now do the same but this time Choose to Import from a file/Check Favourites andnavigate to where you initially saved.

Might work and definitely worth a try.

As a general rule of thumb it's always wise to back up your favourites in this way at regular intervals, say once a week. Takes up very little space and the peace of mind this provides is worth it.

Good luck.

Gordon.

I'm guessing you're using Internet Explorer - If so, try this...

On the menu bar at the top of the browser go to File/Import and Export.../Check "Export to a file"/Check "Favourites"/ continue on and save to a place you'll remember.

Now do the same but this time Choose to Import from a file/Check Favourites andnavigate to where you initially saved.

Might work and definitely worth a try.

As a general rule of thumb it's always wise to back up your favourites in this way at regular intervals, say once a week. Takes up very little space and the peace of mind this provides is worth it.

Good luck.

Gordon.

Tried it but just get an error message.
Thanks anyway.
My wife`s machine has the same problem so it looks as though the fault lies with BT Yahoo.

Bt Yahoo is only your Service Provider, I thought you were talking about bookmarks (favourites). Where are these "bookmarks", in your browser? If so, what browser are you using? IE, Firefox or another.

Gordon.

Bt Yahoo is only your Service Provider, I thought you were talking about bookmarks (favourites). Where are these "bookmarks", in your browser? If so, what browser are you using? IE, Firefox or another.

Gordon.

BT Yahoo browser,the bookmark button is on the toolbar and on the menu bar
Reading the link in another post it looks like other people are experiencing the same problem

The BT Yahoo browser is just a re-badged IE I'm afraid. The problem stems with IE I fear.

There's more than one way to skin a cat - try installing another browser and during install choose to import your favourites from IE. If it works and your favourites (bookmarks) show up in the new browser then the problem is definitely with IE.

Gordon.

Have found my bookmarks at http://bookmarks.yahoo.com
Don't know if this will work for everyone, but worth a try. I see the help page 'Service Status' is now blank. The usual BT Yahoo resonse- when there's a problem, bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away! They spend too much time trying to add all sorts of rubbish to the service that most people don't want anyway.

Have found my bookmarks at http://bookmarks.yahoo.com
Don't know if this will work for everyone, but worth a try. I see the help page 'Service Status' is now blank. The usual BT Yahoo resonse- when there's a problem, bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away! They spend too much time trying to add all sorts of rubbish to the service that most people don't want anyway.

Thanks Mary
That worked as far as finding them goes.
Any idea how I get them back under the bookmarks tab in the toolbar?
Fully agree with your comment about BT Yahoo.
My wife managed to save some from the sidebar this morning, only to find that they had dissappeared when she swithed on tonight.

Thanks Mary
That worked as far as finding them goes.
Any idea how I get them back under the bookmarks tab in the toolbar?
Fully agree with your comment about BT Yahoo.
My wife managed to save some from the sidebar this morning, only to find that they had dissappeared when she swithed on tonight.

Well had another mail from BT today, and they have given this 'remedy'! (I'm not going to do it, hubby will give it a go later, so if you want to wait til after then, I'll let you know what happens! Also, oit, our son's reappeared of their own accord, but not ours!)
QUOTE BT-
Unfortunately, whilst the BT Yahoo! Browser has continued to be available to our customers, it has not been supported by software upgrades for some time now and this is largely due to the introduction of improved software such as Internet Explorer 8 (IE8).

Just recently some of our customers who continue to use the BT Yahoo! Browser have experienced some difficulties in accessing their Bookmarks and we do appreciate how frustrating this can be, however the good news is that you should be able to retrieve this information by upgrading your browser but first you will need to uninstall the BT Yahoo! Browser from your machine.

To do this please click on the Start button in the bottom left hand corner of your PC, select Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs
Select 'BT Yahoo Applications' from the list and then click on 'Remove BT Yahoo Browser '.

We recommend that you download IE8, to do so you will now need to log into your BT Yahoo! Account @ www.bt.yahoo.com.

Please note, that if you already have the Yahoo Optimised version of IE8 you can retrieve your bookmarks by following the process outlined below. If your machine does not support IE8 then you should download an alternative browser of your choice & compatible with your operating system, which should have such software preinstalled

Once you have entered your username and password, you should select the My Account link which can be found at the top right hand corner of your BT Yahoo! Homepage.

You now need to select the link to ‘Get BT Yahoo Software’ which is the first item listed in the Resources section found midway down the page on the right hand side. You should now be presented with a software download page from which you can select the option to download Internet Explorer 8.

Once you have completed the download process you should then be able to retrieve your bookmarks by visiting www.bookmarks.yahoo.com where you will once again be asked to sign in with your BT Y! email address and password.

You will be presented with a list of your bookmarks. You now need to scroll to the bottom of the page and select Tools and then Export Bookmarks, making sure that all the bookmarks required are selected.

Next you should check to ensure that the option to Select Export Format is set for Internet Explorer and click Export. Save to your desktop.

We now need to import your bookmarks to IE8. Open Internet Explorer and click on File and then Import, select Favourites and click Next.
Finally, you will now need to browse to the "Bookmarks" file that you saved to your desktop and click Next .

Your Bookmarks should now be in the favourites tab in Internet Explorer.

I trust that this advice will resolve the difficulties you have experienced and apologise for the inconvenience caused in this matter.

Yours sincerely

Conan
BT THD

END QUOTE

Mary
Had the same reply after I posted yesterday,so I will be following the instructions this afternoon.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Mary
Had the same reply after I posted yesterday,so I will be following the instructions this afternoon.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Well, I hope you do better than we did!! Those instructions only enabled you to use the 'Favourites' in IE,which we knew about anyway, they didn't 'mend' the Bookmarks item in BT Yahoo. I sent another email, and an 'adviser' phoned this afto. Hubby went online with him, and he went through the procedure. The upshot is-we've all got the same 'Favourites' list in IE :eek!::C:-C
It would appear that we can't use the old BT yahoo Home Page, but can only access the net via IE directly. It's all a mess.
Going to spend the w/e looking elsewhere, though I'm tempted to give up and go down to the library (except they've started charging!)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back