• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

So there I was at 08:28, counting Curlew when I notice a large white (non-Swan) bird in the background. Knowing that it wasn't a Little Egret, there then began a few minutes of trying to remember which (out of Cattle and Great White) was the big one! To cut a very long story short and thanks to Gert Cortfield, John "where are my effing trousers" Belsey and Brian Stretch I was happy that I'd got a Great White Egret. Actually I'm even happier for Dave as in my panic to let him know and allow him to secure the Reserve Year Species Record I had phoned his office number (I wondered why he didn't answer!). Luckily JTB and/or Gert got the message to him - Well done Dave Walker, Birder Extrordinaire -143 species and we haven't started December yet!
Just getting the photos off the memory card, so I'll post a few when I've darkened the bird sufficiently to turn it into a Heron! I'll start the excuses early - the light was cr*p!

Last edited:
Oh good. Let's hope it stays around and the light improves for someone else to get some shots as mine are very noisy...

No, photos are not up to much as far as image quality goes - let's hope the light's improved for somebody to get some gooduns. Here are a couple...
This is the closest the bird came to the hide diring my stay.
The second shot was the first glimpse I got of the bird. Whether it flew in or came from the other side of the island, I really don't know!
A flight shot.
A picture showing its size compared with its more common cousin.

Attachments

• GWE1.jpg
    GWE1.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 127
  • GWE3.jpg
    GWE3.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 101
  • GWE4_resize.jpg
    GWE4_resize.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 112
  • GWE5_resize.jpg
    GWE5_resize.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
No, photos are not up to much as far as image quality goes - let's hope the light's improved for somebody to get some gooduns. Here are a couple...
This is the closest the bird came to the hide diring my stay.
The second shot was the first glimpse I got of the bird. Whether it flew in or came from the other side of the island, I really don't know!
A flight shot.
A picture showing its size compared with its more common cousin.

Great shots what a stunning bird sorry I missed it :t:

dip, tick, run

Well done to Sy for the find :t:
Congratulations to Dave on the record B :)

Arriving at the Moors just as the Bird left I had that feeling of 'Spoonbill Syndrome' :-C and feeling rough as a badgers backside was inclined to head back to my sick bed.
However headed for the Flashes with Des.We were casually informed by the occupants of the feeder hide the bird had headed to the right side. Well, I coudn't keep up with Des, don't know what he is on but it ain't Beechams !

We viewed the bird through the fence thankfully, shortly joined by Trace and Jared..before it headed off for a while.

Couple of pics on my flickr page.

Seems I contrived to be at UW for precisely the time the GWE wasn't :-C

But thanks to John for the notification and congrats to :king: Dave. If I'm ever half as good as you or the other Warren regulars I'll be happy. But for the moment I'm obviously going to have to find a way of getting work out of the way of the birding more often.

Thanks Sy for the photographs so I can see just what I missed |=(|

Paul

So there I was at 08:28, counting Curlew when I notice a large white (non-Swan) bird in the background. Knowing that it wasn't a Little Egret, there then began a few minutes of trying to remember which (out of Cattle and Great White) was the big one! To cut a very long story short and thanks to Gert Cortfield, John "where are my effing trousers" Belsey and Brian Stretch I was happy that I'd got a Great White Egret. Actually I'm even happier for Dave as in my panic to let him know and allow him to secure the Reserve Year Species Record I had phoned his office number (I wondered why he didn't answer!). Luckily JTB and/or Gert got the message to him - Well done Dave Walker, Birder Extrordinaire -143 species and we haven't started December yet!
Just getting the photos off the memory card, so I'll post a few when I've darkened the bird sufficiently to turn it into a Heron! I'll start the excuses early - the light was cr*p!

Well Done Sy:t: on behalf of all the lads and lassies that saw the bird today..a new reserve bird for all of us. My 212th for the reserve.B :)

For anyone who wasn't fortunate enough to connect, then the wait may not be that long. Still a great rarity in the county but becoming increasingly regular as the previous records show:

Westwood Pool 11/09/99 to 12/09/99 (first county record)
Grimley 08/09/07
Upton Warren 01/10/07
Gwen Finch Wetland 01/10/09 to 04/10/09
Upper Bittell Reservoir 18/11/10

Brian

Well done to Sy for the find :t:
Congratulations to Dave on the record B :)

Arriving at the Moors just as the Bird left I had that feeling of 'Spoonbill Syndrome' :-C and feeling rough as a badgers backside was inclined to head back to my sick bed.
However headed for the Flashes with Des.We were casually informed by the occupants of the feeder hide the bird had headed to the right side. Well, I coudn't keep up with Des, don't know what he is on but it ain't Beechams !

We viewed the bird through the fence thankfully, shortly joined by Trace and Jared..before it headed off for a while.

Couple of pics on my flickr page.

From my cornish retreat.
A year older today and running like a spring chicken.

Des.

From my cornish retreat.
A year older today and running like a spring chicken.

Des.

Nice one Des, it was good to see you earning that tick.;)

For me, it was a great way to break through to 143 species for the year. My first GWE for the reserve and my 3rd for Worcestershire. My photo attached (not as good as Sy's, but he deserves it more than me). Cheers.

Attachments

• Great White Egret 261111.jpg
    Great White Egret 261111.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 96
Nice one Des, it was good to see you earning that tick.;)

For me, it was a great way to break through to 143 species for the year. My first GWE for the reserve and my 3rd for Worcestershire. My photo attached (not as good as Sy's, but he deserves it more than me). Cheers.

Well done, Dave. It is brilliant that you should break the record with an Upton first.

Peter

Also on the reserve today
Moors:
Shoveler 15, Teal 70, Snipe 8, redpoll 9

Flashes (water level 0.28) - still very dry around periphery.
Teal 2, Lapwing 400, Snipe 12, Linnet 20+, Lesser Redpoll 7

I must admit I didn't do the usual counts today, for some reason:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back