• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (122 Viewers)

Is it an Intermedius then, Dave? I read up on the fuscus being the darker but had it been cross refferred to Baltic I would not have even mentioned it!

I think the angles of the wings and the sunlight are making it look very dark, got any photos of it perched?

Had a five hour stay at the Moors this morning. Thirty-eight species, no show stoppers. Here are a few pictures hastily resized...

I included the Tufted Duck as that's the closest I've seen one in ages,
I have the Gull down as 3CY LBBG fuscus but I'm happy to be re-educated.
A couple of shots of contrasting Cormorant (adult Vs, Juvenile) plumage and,
strange bevaviour that lasted about 30 seconds by a Little Grebe, really lucky that it chose to do it right in front of the hide!

As Dave has said, Baltic is mega in Britain, but probably over looked and difficult to prove, even though adults have a distinctive rakish profile with very long primaries.

There is one proven record that I can recall: an adult was the first for Britain just down the road at Gloucester landfill site in April 2007. However, it was the bird's Finnish ring which sealed the deal.

Brian

This bird is far from rakish, and if I may reiterate, it was never a claim.
Here's a perched shot... there are more if in the unlikely event that they are required...

Attachments

• LBBG Fuscus_resize.jpg
    LBBG Fuscus_resize.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 60
This bird is far from rakish, and if I may reiterate, it was never a claim.
Here's a perched shot... there are more if in the unlikely event that they are required...

I'd say that is a pretty typical Larus fuscus intermedius - a very podgy chap he is too. :t:

I regret to announce that the replacement of the main hide at the Flashes will now not be completed until the 9th December. If anyone has any queries regarding this please contact the Trust direct on 01905 754919.

Phil

I'd say that is a pretty typical Larus fuscus intermedius - a very podgy chap he is too. :t:

I'd go for more graellsii I think, no offence to Sy, that the effects in photoshop have created a darker look in this bird, a quick bit of lightening shows the 'true' mantle shade of this bird and how much it contrasts with the primaries. intermedius or even fuscus would show a completley different body shape being far more elongated and show a lot less contrast between the mantle shade and primary colour. Have a read of Martin Garner's Birding Frontiers Blog to see how much digital images can change the shade and hue of a birds colouration.

If were delving into dodgey gulls here's one I'll dig up from Upton. Seen on 30th March 2010 at the Moors, was sure it was something better than Herring at the time, but no one seemed interested. Having gained a lot more experience I thought I'd have another look at the photos, it now looks a lot more obvious 1w Yellow-legged Gull!

Photos attached below, have labeled onto one of them what features make it a Yellow-legged Gull and not a Herring or a Lesser.

Attachments

• YLG.JPG
    YLG.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 56
  • H.YLG.JPG
    H.YLG.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 36
  • H.YLG 3.JPG
    H.YLG 3.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 40
  • H.YLG (2).JPG
    H.YLG (2).JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 45
  • H.YLG (3).JPG
    H.YLG (3).JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 26
I'd go for more graellsii I think, no offence to Sy, that the effects in photoshop have created a darker look in this bird, a quick bit of lightening shows the 'true' mantle shade of this bird and how much it contrasts with the primaries...

Tim, your feedback is never likely to offend me mate. I love these in-depth discussions, even if I know the "√ of FA" about anything.
I'll post another frame of the bird without any Photoshopping (which is easy, 'cos I don't use it) then you won't have to lighten it to see the true mantle shade.
I see what you mean, in my attempt to pretty-up the original picture I've inadvertantly darkened the bird. I'll have to watch out for that - especially with Gulls.
I'll also add a distant photo of a Reed Bunting with a strangely coppery head, which I'll readily admit to having thrown me initially.
A shot of a Curlew that pleased me as there are certain species that I find harder to get a decent shot of than others - I've always struggled with Curlews for some reason.
The Shovelers are looking their resplendant best now, so they deserve inclusion.
And judging by his facial scar tissue I'd wager that this fellah has survived a recent dose of Myxomatosis - either that or he's been scrapping.

Attachments

• LBBG1.jpg
    LBBG1.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Reed Bunting.jpg
    Reed Bunting.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Curlew.jpg
    Curlew.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Shoveler 1.jpg
    Shoveler 1.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Myx.jpg
    Myx.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Great White Egret Moors Now!!!!

That's an Upton tick for me and the record!

Many thanks to Simon for alerting us to it. :t:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back