• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

95% despair (1 Viewer)

mauricek

That's a rotten title but,as some may know,I can only get out in a wh/chair and I decided that it was such a lovely afternoon I would go on my favourite two mile tour and pause where I pleased. I was so disappointed.Not one bird did I see until three swallows were"hawking" the bowling green, almost at the end of my adventure.There were lots of buddleias in full flower but nary a butterfly on any of them.Just like my own.Hydrangers were magnificent. Very aptly named of course.B.T.W.there is a neighbours Kerria flowering for the second time this year.In over 2hrs I saw just 3 b/flies.2 white and a very brief glimpse of dark,poss. r/admiral,inthe shadows.
Most endemic shrubs have almost doubled their normal annual bulk in hedgerows and many larger trees have excelled themselves.This green unripened growth could affect next years blossom severely.If you are not fed up now it gets worse.With virtually no thrips,so few ladybirds,lacewings hoverflies,wasps etc.,where will our breeding stock be next year?What will have happened to our pollinators too?I've heard that many apiarists have given up their hives as a dead loss.
I was so happy to get home and find my own flock gorging as usual.It must be almost impossible to dip so very badly.Still theres always tomorrow.Will it put me off? not on your nelly
Not much humour in this thread is there but,like nature, I will probably bounce back so you needn't send any get well cards.

maurice

Not much humour in this thread is there but,like nature, I will probably bounce back so you needn't send any get well cards.

maurice

Not much humour Maurice I agree, it is reality though isn't it! A topsy turvy summer for sure!

No get well card from me...just good wishes to you Maurice!

All the best

Hi Maurice,

You really didn't help yourself much by your choice of when to go you know. Afternoons are nearly always the 'slowest' times for birds and just now is starting into the 'slowest' season, the post-breeding moult. Pretty well nothing is singing and as you observed foliage is at it's peak and hides what little is about anyway. Try again on a nice mid-late September morning.

I do agree with you about the shortage of Ladybirds etc but overall we have had plenty of Bees of various kinds, ditto Hoverflies, and a Wasp's nest in the angle of the roof (that hole will get blocked up later) so I think that most of the stuff in the garden has been pollinated, I know that the conker tree was because it's loaded and both the Holley and the Pyrocantha seem to have their normal load of immature berries; I'll withold commenting on the Blackberries in the Lane for another couple of weeks. I will agree that there seem to be less Butterflies this year but there have been some hatches, especially (here) Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns.

Cheer up mate, it could be worse, you could be under 4 foot of water like some of the unlucky people.

Bill.

Hi Maurice,

I know the feeling! For the first time for a fortnight, I was able to walk for an hour without my dogs (long story!). My walk was from about 9.45 this morning over some of the beautiful Dorset Downs, but the lack of birds was very noticeable. The only two species in evidence in large numbers were Rooks.....probably a couple of hundred....and Pheasants. Trouble is that the Pheasants are reared ones for the local shoot. A few Chaffies, the odd Blue Tit and a couple of Swallows made up my list.

I did do better on the butterfly front though, with several Peacocks, Red Admirals and Large White. The most plentiful were the groups of Gatekeepers all along the hedgerows, must have seen well over 50.

Don't despair, I certainly shan't! ;)

I was out and about today too Maurice and persuaded my friend who I had arranged to have lunch with to visit a couple of my favourite birding spots. He's no nature buff but seemedto enjoy himself. It was very quiet indeed with the pools almost clear of birds although I got myself a Little Egret. I was out in the afternoon and as Bill says it's not the best time especially on a hot day and of course as I'm sure you know not the best time of year. A lot of the wild flowers are going back too now and I noticed in the local reserve the other day that the meadow which had been full of colour only three weeks ago was now looking a bit dull. I look on the bright side however and think that the less there is around helps you take in more of what is about and every day is a day to learn something new.

Butterflies have been pretty scarce for much of the summer, but I do notice as soon as the sun shines they are out in number and I managed to find a couple of Emperor Dragonflies today along with Common Blue Damselflies and a Lacewing. Meadow Browns are all over the place still.

I believe in making hay while the sun shines and I shall be out again tomorrow if the the weather forecast is correct. Maybe down to the coast where there are often birds a plenty at this time of year and Roseatte Terns starting migration.

Keep watching Maurice and ye shall find. Keep smiling. Nature has a habit of fighting back.

Take care
Your Geordie marra

Hi Maurice.
I've got Goldfinches, Blackbirds, Dunnocks, Collared Doves and a few Starlings on my patch: not many of any species but it shows a bit of promise for the coming months. My Buddleja has only come into flower this past week, and the only things I've seen on it are a couple of Cabbage Whites. I did liberate another Comma from under the netting on my greenhouse windows. Bees have been plentiful, and there are still a good number about, as well as Hover flies.
Your feelings just go to show what a miserable world it would be without our fauna of all descriptions.

Keep smiling my old china.
Baz.

I believe in making hay while the sun shines and I shall be out again tomorrow if the the weather forecast is correct. Maybe down to the coast where there are often birds a plenty at this time of year and Roseatte Terns starting migration.

Keep watching Maurice and ye shall find. Keep smiling. Nature has a habit of fighting back.

Hi maurice

Sometimes you get days like the one you have had.

It must feel although you have had a slight off day at the moment. I would say to yourself tomorrow will be different, and there will be lots to see once again. Nature is always busy, one way or another.

It has been exceptionally hot where I stay today (I assume it will varied from place to place). I always notice that the birds seem to go into hiding when it is hot. They are probably trying to keep cool somewhere.

I am pleased to see that we have a resident Song thrush, and he is not a shy one at all. I was adding food to my feeders/dish on the floor, this afternoon, and he shot passed me within inches of my feet. He then sat along beside me for quite a while. He is lovely to look at.

I have noticed him around over the past week or so, and he is getting used to me now. The other morning, one of my local juv blackies stole some food straight from the Song thrush's bill. I have never seem Blackies do this and never though of them as 'grabbers' as such.

All in a day in my back garden. and it is amazing what we can see without going out anywhere.

The more observant we are, the more we appreciate what we see, and when we see it.

The main is that there are lots more opportunities tomorrow, and they will not pass you by either.

Peewit

Hi Maurice,

A sad tale, but as always with a touch of humour thrown in, that's what I really like about you Maurice, no matter how bad things are you can't help but see a humorous part somewhere.

I love Kerria, but twice in a season! We had thrips (well, thunder flies) just once and I've only seen 1 Ladybird and he was a black one - matching your mood maybe? Not a bad amount of Bees down here, a few Hoverers too, plus a good year for Scribes as you know! ;) Blackberries up the track are just about right with a few quite delicious; many still red so plenty to go round.

Things do look particularly bleak after the summer we've had, but we have to hope that next year, miraculously, things will be better and hopefully they will be, but no amount of worrying will push it one way or tother. Get on out there the next good morning that you get and see just what the difference is with the Birds alone.

How about thinking up a dittie for "dolphinbride's thread, either one about the worst side of things or one on the way things have been, go on Maurice you might even give us all a laugh, either that or...food for thought.

Til I'm with you again, keep on taking them there tablets like Moses!o:D ;) That one REALLY made me giggle.

The bright side is the best side,

Sue.

Hi Maurice,
Like you I havent seen butterflies about this year but, on the plus side, the bees dont seem to be doing too badly, although I havent spotted a single ladybird yet. I've noticed the Rowans, Elders and Hawthorns round here are loaded with berries, and I'm looking forward to taking my pail up the woods in a couple of weeks time to gather some brambles (blackberries) for a jam making session;) They're prolific up there so theres plenty for me and the birds..lol.
The rain has made everything all lush and green (mind you ~ the grass is growing like holy wildfire, the only down side;) still....I hold on to the hope that we'll get some sunshine before long.

Best wishes Maurice ~ and dont worry too much, things will sort themselves out ~ you'll see.

Hi Maurice.

We had torrential rain yesterday (Tuesday) and flash flood warnings everywhere. Some areas in Cleveland had seven FEET of water and cars were floating down the streets! Luckily I was not in one of those cars.

Today was very sunny and all the wires were filled with doves, starlings, sparrows, swallows and others as they looked like they were just trying to dry themselves. Ahhh. Poor dears. We were late setting out seeds for the birds this morning. Apparently I did not put out enough nuts because this fellow was waiting for another serving.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/chickadeedeedee/k23057.jpg

Lydia 100% with you! :t:

It's a strange summer all round, isn't it. A couple of villages near here were flooded due to downpours a couple of days ago for the first time ever, though hopefully the last, too.
Compared with last year, the butterfly population is next to nothing -much the same species as you're all getting there and the only unusual species I've seen this summer has been a White Admiral. The rest have been Meadow Browns, Walls, Gatekeepers and the like though plenty of Brimstones and Cleopatras as always. No blues, no Fritillaries - it's really strange.

Hi Maurice Im sure you will bounce back, struggling with this comp so wont say much,we are in Hertfordshire at the moment,lots of Moths and Butterflies, but except for sparrows ,Blackies and Pidgeons there appears to be very little bird life down here, quite disappointing in fact. Had a super day at a Spifire flying day, so guess they will have to do,great fliers and very spectacular..
Take are Mate PeterK

Not much humour in this thread
maurice

That's what this forum is for Maurice - tell your friends what you have seen/not seen, and how you feel. It doesn't all have to be wonderful reports.
There's not much in my garden at the moment, but putting most of it down to the fact that the feeders ran out while I was away, and the birds have probably gone off in a huff. I didn't get many Goldfinches this summer, and left a clean fully filled niger feeder out. It has gone down a few inches in my absence, so that's heartening.

It's a pity, certainly, but I am actually waiting for autumn/winter to set in for the "action" myself lol! It's been a crazy summer! You will bounce back, Maurice, once nature finishes her siesta!

There's not much in my garden at the moment, but putting most of it down to the fact that the feeders ran out while I was away, and the birds have probably gone off in a huff.

That's what I reckon happened to me too, Renee! They are beginning to realise that this feeding station is back in business again....three weeks on...stilll not many, but it is that time of year, as this thread demonstrates so well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back