• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shetland Vs Scilly 2010 (1 Viewer)

According to Lee Evans on his 400 uk rare bird alert website there's only been around 45 birders on Scilly so far.Compared to 160 on Shetland.

Last edited:
Some good stuff turning up on Shetland today 2 new Bluetails,2 BH Buntings,Pallas's Gropper,Dusky Warbler,Raddes'Warbler,Lanceolated Warbler.

Some good stuff turning up on Shetland today 2 new Bluetails,2 BH Buntings,Pallas's Gropper,Dusky Warbler,Raddes'Warbler,Lanceolated Warbler.

Nothing truely mega though - surely American Peregrine, Sharp-shinned Hawk & Eleonora's Falcon trump that lot.

Nothing truely mega though - surely American Peregrine, Sharp-shinned Hawk & Eleonora's Falcon trump that lot.
Yes it's just the usual Shetland rarities.As for the birds you have mention they are all unconfirmed sightings.That's the only trouble with Scilly it gets alot of unconfirmed sightings every autumn.I think alot of birders who go there especially the up and coming ones think every bird they see is going to be a rarity.

Last edited:
I think alot of birders who go there especially the up and coming ones think every bird they see is going to be a rarity.

Then they go to Shetland and think every bird there is a rarity! ;)

Anway, IMO this is shaping up to be a pivotal weekend - a flurry of new birds in Shetland and NE Scotland this pm suggests a real mega Sibe is waiting to be found tomorrow; however continued action in the South-west suggests a mega Yank could still be lurking undetected.

Twitchers: nearest airport - Aberdeen probably your best bet
Birders: Shetland, Orkney, Western Ireland, Cornwall..or even Scilly...

Have a good one!
a

There's been a few mis id birds on Shetland in the past few days. So i expect visiting birders will have made the mis id.Certainly wont be Shetland birders.

Last edited:
Of course there is something on Scilly... Cape Clear/Co. Cork, Skomer, Ouessant, Île de Sein (would be my choice destination if I had the time/inclination) all had American passerines in the last few days.

Of course there is something on Scilly... Cape Clear/Co. Cork, Skomer, Ouessant, Île de Sein (would be my choice destination if I had the time/inclination) all had American passerines in the last few days.
I would go to Ouessant that's another cracking place for megas and rarities.

Scilly seems to be fighting back today with Black eared Wheatear, Red Throated Pipit, American Golden Plover, 3 Little Bunting, 4 Red Breasted Flycatcher, Buff Breasted Sandpiper, 4 Wryneck, Icterine Warbler, 2 Yellow Browed Warbler, Short Toed Lark, Dotterel, Richard's Pipit and Lapland Bunting. Going next week and I have never seen any of these before. I can't wait.

Scilly seems to be fighting back today with Black eared Wheatear, Red Throated Pipit, American Golden Plover, 3 Little Bunting, 4 Red Breasted Flycatcher, Buff Breasted Sandpiper, 4 Wryneck, Icterine Warbler, 2 Yellow Browed Warbler, Short Toed Lark, Dotterel, Richard's Pipit and Lapland Bunting. Going next week and I have never seen any of these before. I can't wait.
Western Black eared Wheatear and Pied Wheatear today on Scilly

Anyone done the stats? Scilly still seems better for a suntan than rares ;)

a
Recently they have had RE Vireo,OB pipit,Pied Wheatear,BE Wheatear,Spotted Sand,BH Bunting.Grey Cheeked Thrush and Bluetail have been found today.Total of 8 rarities so far this autumn.Still miles behind Shetland and Fair Isle.

Last edited:
I like a nice balance. The weather is better on Scilly. Love that place when the sun's out. The food's better on Scilly too as long as you don't go for a wolfburger every night! A lot of you forget you're on holiday!

Rokermartin - You've got more chance of cleaning up on Scilly. Shetlands is a big place compared.

I like a nice balance. The weather is better on Scilly. Love that place when the sun's out. The food's better on Scilly too as long as you don't go for a wolfburger every night! A lot of you forget you're on holiday!

Rokermartin - You've got more chance of cleaning up on Scilly. Shetlands is a big place compared.

how true i went in 1990 (good year) 1997 (not bad) and 1998 (poor) for me anyway.
always had a great time even though ive always camped!!! even a poor day on scilly beats a good days birding in halifax:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back