• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Death Of The Alpha? (4 Viewers)

Anyone can be intentionally provocative, it takes no skill and adds nothing to the conversation or this forum. Jerry is right on here.

Did you see the post by ChosunJuan? That's the longest sarcastic post I ever saw anywhere. It seems she really enjoyed it. See what Dennis provide? Looks like a punching bag to me.;) Sorry Dennis, no disrespect.

Did you see the post by ChosunJuan? That's the longest sarcastic post I ever saw anywhere. It seems she really enjoyed it. See what Dennis provide? Looks like a punching bag to me.;) Sorry Dennis, no disrespect.

Hi Summer Blue,

Welcome to Bird Forum! I see that the above is your 4th post. I noticed from the attachment after your name showing the "Recent Posts" on the first page of Bird Forum that you have 13 attachments here on Bird Forum.

How did you do that with only 4 posts and without putting attachments in them?

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Summer Blue,

Welcome to Bird Forum! I see that the above is your 4th post. I noticed from the attachment after your name showing the "Recent Posts" on the first page of Bird Forum that you have 13 attachments here on Bird Forum.

How did you do that with only 4 posts and without putting attachments in them?

Bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the welcome. I have no attachment when I check my profile. you may be mistaken the 13 attachments belongs to this thread.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the welcome. I have no attachment when I check my profile. you may be mistaken the 13 attachments belongs to this thread.

Actually I did check a couple of them and one was in #319 of this thread. The cartoon of the people standing in line. The other was the Zeiss Logo in #317. They may not show in your profile but they did show after your name on the Recent Posts shown on Page 1 of Bird Forum. I just checked and the attachment is still there. It could be part of the thread.

Last edited:
Sorry Bob, can't see any attachment follow anybody's name. Only attachment after some thread. Is that a problem?

No, no problem. Attachments show after the thread name when the new posts on are shown on page 1 of Bird Forum. Not after the name of the poster. I never noticed those attachments during the 10 years or more I have been here and, of course, it makes sense. Sorry about that!

Bob

Hi Chuck

I was barely outbid on EBay a couple of times on the 10X42 EDG, when I've seen those and the Noctivid, I can truly say I've experienced all the top glass.

Robert...
If you are going to get curiosity let the best of you, I'd go a different direction. Have been using my EDG 8X42 a lot lately and....pretty easy to tell the difference optically and operationally between it and the Tract and Maven 8X42s. In fact the EDG may be becoming one of my top two. It's quite the binocular. I don't know why I waited so long to purchase one. It took me a while to warm up to it. Objective covers are a joke, ocular adjustment completely strange, hinge-tension a little to light... Focus adjustment is IMO the ONLY 10 out there. It IS a 10. Relatively small frame for a 8X42 as well. Optics...VERY pleasing to the eye.

Tract vs Endeavor ED II...
I probably am Not going to keep the Tract 8X42 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II is the reason why. This is the binocular I keep in the truck and it gets a LOT of usage! I can find NO situation where the Tract is a better binocular. FOV is exactly the same. ED II focus adjustment is smoother. ED II has a locking diopter adjustment, Tract does not. ED II comes with a nice case, Tract comes with no case. Optically the ED II is as good or better and certainly has a flatter field. Warranty-same. And if I were buying now...ED II is about $300?? No brainer....

No, no problem. Attachments show after the thread name when the new posts on are shown on page 1 of Bird Forum. Not after the name of the poster. I never noticed those attachments during the 10 years or more I have been here and, of course, it makes sense. Sorry about that!

Bob

Of course, what you were likely thinking is still liable to be correct...;)

I am masochistic.;) I don't mind her sarcasm because I know her intent is humorous.;)

Last edited:
I've had and still have all alphas (Swaro, Zeiss, Leica as well as high-end Nikons), and I had both Tract and Maven and presently have neither. De gustibus non est disputandum----so there is nothing to argue about, but one thing is clear to me: it's naive to believe that alphas will die, some of these companies have been around for 100 years, they know how to adapt if needed.

I've had and still have all alphas (Swaro, Zeiss, Leica as well as high-end Nikons), and I had both Tract and Maven and presently have neither. De gustibus non est disputandum----so there is nothing to argue about, but one thing is clear to me: it's naive to believe that alphas will die, some of these companies have been around for 100 years, they know how to adapt if needed.
I don't really think the entire company will die just their alpha binoculars because they will no longer be competitive with these newer less expensive competitors like the Maven or Tract. I don't envision Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski or Nikon dying as a company just their alpha binocular production. I think it is already happening with Nikon and Leica. I don't really believe either sells very many alpha level binoculars and I could easily see that small part of their company dying.

Judging by how many Alpha`s I see around Birders necks here in the UK, plenty of people are willing to spend big money on their optics, seriously I `m baffled why you persist with your claim, the majority of posters here disagree with you, you`v made your point very well, time to let it go I think.

Happy New Year! And, here's to hoping we get fewer threads that are intentional wind-ups in 2017. I'm not even sure how serious the OP is here - I'm thinking its more about getting the hits and response and attention.

And, yes, I should stop posting in it, but since I have been on the OP's ignore for ''years'', no harm. ;]

Judging by how many Alpha`s I see around Birders necks here in the UK, plenty of people are willing to spend big money on their optics, seriously I `m baffled why you persist with your claim, the majority of posters here disagree with you, you`v made your point very well, time to let it go I think.
I agree there are still quite a few people willing to pay for an alpha binocular but I feel the trend is changing because there is becoming less and less of a gap in performance between the alpha's and the newer direct marketed binoculars. That is my point and I will stick with it and quite a few people agreed with that. There used to be a BIG gap between the alpha roofs and the min-tiered roofs but I feel the roof prism binoculars around $1000.00 are getting closer and closer in performance to the alpha's so it gives people more of a choice for top notch performance for less money and it really is a benefit to the people who can't afford to spend 2 to 3 thousand dollars on binoculars.

Last edited:
Nope i was out this afternoon, and Alpha named bins Rool ok, there is such snobbery in "Brit Birding", having the right gear, just gets you accepted, plus the feel good factor of owning the best helps enormously, its not the right attitude, but its our attitude unfortunately....

And, yes, I should stop posting in it, but since I have been on the OP's ignore for ''years'', no harm. ;]

Hello James,

If the OP has subscribed to this thread, then he will receive your postings in his email, even if you are ignored.

Happy bird watching and happy new year,
Arthur :hi:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back