• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski EL (2 Viewers)

My apologies, sometimes I miss something or I read too quickly, I must’ve missed the comment about the brick. I don’t really know anything about Swarovski using Portuguese , or if you mean Leica glass. I was just trying to share some of my experience over the last four or five years and owning a few dozen of the binoculars being discussed here on the daily basis.

This is very true , and I humbly (and without snarkiness ) concede that I spend way too much time on my iPad. I’m more of an equipment guy in my multiple hobbies, binoculars to me are more of an all around observing tool than just for birding, which I’m a beginner.

Sounds like a great place. Memories definitely count when somebody in the know has tried out some optics and can give a general feeling of its capabilities and its optical level. Not so much when we compare them to Binoculars years apart.

No need, I can get peoples opinions on multiple destinations on YouTube. Much appreciated that you’re reserve those memories, maybe start another discussion in another sub forum, i’m sure we’ll all jump over there with you 😏.

I own most of the ones you’re talking about and the ones I don’t anymore i’ve compared extensively side-by-side. My opinion is that the all the EL’s are on a similar optical level as the Noctivids , except for some slight differences in CA correction in the 10’s, your mileage may vary. I’m not hurt by your opinion, there may be others here that are 😜.

Again sorry I didn’t know that you were so new to the forum you didn’t know some of the long time members MO’s. Dennis and I and a few other members have a tendency to give digs to each other , but it’s mostly for fun and no disrespect is ever intended. Dennis is a wealth of knowledge and I agree with him more times than I care to admit. ✌🏼. Please don’t confuse sarcasm with criticism. I think you’re reading way too much into my insecurities 🙏🏼.
As a matter of introduction, I am a birder first and foremost, with a keen interest in binoculars. I have been actively birding for over 30 years and joined BIRDFORUM for the birds. On the binocular side, over time I have assembled a nice collection of both new and vintage binoculars. While I may lean on the alpha/near alpha glass for serious study, I also enjoy using the vintage glass. For example, I own a near mint pair of LECIA 8x32s from the late 60s/early 70s which I acquired used. Pre red dot, the box logo indicates the model year. I owned and sold a Zeiss Dialyst 7x42 largely due to the ergonomics not being a good fit for me. I rely on the Swaro 8x25 when backpacking for 10 or more miles. Its a great little glass and the eyecups are very close to standard size. I also own the NIKON SE CF 10x42 poro. It's easy on the eye and one of Nikon's best optically, but it is not nitrogen purged, so it stays home in bad weather. Then there are the vintage binos from Japanese factories (mostly 8x30s or 6x30s) post WWII. While I favor the Nippon Kogaku, I also own binoculars made by Katsuma (B2), Fuji (B8) Tamron (B45) and Yoko Sango (B191). Recently I picked up an absolutely pristine SWIFT 7x50 BCF Skipper in the original box, unmarked, original leather case, unmarked., with all paperwork and accessories. The binoculars were kept in the box and appeared to never have been used. These are really nice for astronomical observation. Ditto on my SWIFT Plovers 8x40 W.A. And I also own a first generation VANGUARD Endeavor 8x42 and Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. Then there was the Habicht 10x42 WB and Opticron MG black. Lastly, I have owned Zeiss Conquests but returned them due to eye piece issues. I also had blackout problems with the Victory 8x32. I owned Terras for a couple of hours years back. And Vortex 8x32s. One that I sold that I would like to get back is the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32, the version with the OWL on the box. That glass was like having your eyes magnified, the bino disappeared and there was zero eye strain. Made in Czechoslovakia. A little short on magnification.

So as a birder, the way a binocular handles in the field, its fit and finish, the way my hands wrap around it and steady it matter. Obviously the vintage stuff did not benefit by today's coating technology, and many of them were not waterproof. But great glass is great glass, and some vintage came down to design and craftsmanship, prior to lazer technology. I try to match the performance expectation to the price point. As I discussed in a previous thread that you weighed in on, I do like the 8x42 Trinovid HD in the field. Perhaps the Zeiss Conquest resolves a tad clearer, but it just doesn't handle like the Leica, in my hands. And I have come to appreciate the view that is relaxing and detailed...color and contrast over the enth degree of resolution. That extra bit of resolution is certainly there with the Noctivid, but at a substantial increase in price. I may purchase the Noctivid down the road. I can hold the 10x42 quite steady due to its superior weight distribution. I will concede that the Swarovski Pure is an amazing binocular optically, the shape doesn't work for me. As for Zeiss, I flirt with the brand on and off, but past experience gives me pause. A friend who traded up to the SF from the Conquest used the SF for a year and had to send it in for a repair, which took it out of his hands for quite some time. He didn't drop it. I do believe the LEICA build quality and QC, Portugal or Germany, is superior to the rest. That is only my opinion.

Now this collection of binoculars with the exception of the recent additions have spent a zillion hours in the field. Some have worked better than others, but the keepers are keepers. They have allowed me to develop technique for stealthfully finding and tracking birds of a couple thousand species. I meticulously maintain all of them, sable brush and microfiber cloth.

I was an obsessive/compulsive audiophile. Now I listen to music and enjoy it. Birding for me is the reason I own binoculars. I have an interest in the equipment and am here to learn more from guys like you. But remember that a mule is moved forward by the carrot as well as the stick. And keep in mind that stats are wonderful as directional information, but they don't tell the whole story. If they did, there would be no reason to try on a pair of shoes before you buy them!

By the way, I am also blessed as a throat cancer survivor. 30 radiation and 6 chemo sessions later, with lots of side complications, I am still patrolilng the marshes in search of birds. My family and friends helped me through those difficult times, but I had no intention of cutting my birding career short...expecially when I owned so many pairs of binoculars. And this is my third year, cancer free.

To quote Forrest Gump, "And that's all I have to say about that."

Last edited:

Now you’re talking my language, vintage and classic binoculars . All sniping a side, you and I have a lot in common. I’m humbled and envious by your birding experience. it sounds like you had a rough go there for a while, I’m glad you’re fully recovered.

I’ll keep my reply short In respect to the OP. I’m going to send you a PM, sometimes people on the forums get a little testy when we deviate or hijack the thread from the original OP.
As a matter of introduction, I am a birder first and foremost, with a keen interest in binoculars. I have been actively birding for over 30 years and joined BIRDFORUM for the birds. On the binocular side, over time I have assembled a nice collection of both new and vintage binoculars. While I may lean on the alpha/near alpha glass for serious study, I also enjoy using the vintage glass. For example, I own a near mint pair of LECIA 8x32s from the late 60s/early 70s which I acquired used. Pre red dot, the box logo indicates the model year. I owned and sold a Zeiss Dialyst 7x42 largely due to the ergonomics not being a good fit for me. I rely on the Swaro 8x25 when backpacking for 10 or more miles. Its a great little glass and the eyecups are very close to standard size. I also own the NIKON SE CF 10x42 poro. It's easy on the eye and one of Nikon's best optically, but it is not nitrogen purged, so it stays home in bad weather. Then there are the vintage binos from Japanese factories (mostly 8x30s or 6x30s) post WWII. While I favor the Nippon Kogaku, I also own binoculars made by Katsuma (B2), Fuji (B8) Tamron (B45) and Yoko Sango (B191). Recently I picked up an absolutely pristine SWIFT 7x50 BCF Skipper in the original box, unmarked, original leather case, unmarked., with all paperwork and accessories. The binoculars were kept in the box and appeared to never have been used. These are really nice for astronomical observation. Ditto on my SWIFT Plovers 8x40 W.A. And I also own a first generation VANGUARD Endeavor 8x42 and Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. Then there was the Habicht 10x42 WB and Opticron MG black. Lastly, I have owned Zeiss Conquests but returned them due to eye piece issues. I also had blackout problems with the Victory 8x32. I owned Terras for a couple of hours years back. And Vortex 8x32s. One that I sold that I would like to get back is the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32, the version with the OWL on the box. That glass was like having your eyes magnified, the bino disappeared and there was zero eye strain. Made in Czechoslovakia. A little short on magnification.
I’ll reply to some of this in my PM, I don’t think anybody here, or at least in this discussion wants to hear my rant about 50 to 70 year old binoculars.
So as a birder, the way a binocular handles in the field, its fit and finish, the way my hands wrap around it and steady it matter. Obviously the vintage stuff did not benefit by today's coating technology, and many of them were not waterproof. But great glass is great glass, and some vintage came down to design and craftsmanship, prior to lazer technology. I try to match the performance expectation to the price point. As I discussed in a previous thread that you weighed in on, I do like the 8x42 Trinovid HD in the field. Perhaps the Zeiss Conquest resolves a tad clearer, but it just doesn't handle like the Leica, in my hands. And I have come to appreciate the view that is relaxing and detailed...color and contrast over the enth degree of resolution. That extra bit of resolution is certainly there with the Noctivid, but at a substantial increase in price. I may purchase the Noctivid down the road. I can hold the 10x42 quite steady due to its superior weight distribution. I will concede that the Swarovski Pure is an amazing binocular optically, the shape doesn't work for me. As for Zeiss, I flirt with the brand on and off, but past experience gives me pause. A friend who traded up to the SF from the Conquest used the SF for a year and had to send it in for a repair, which took it out of his hands for quite some time. He didn't drop it. I do believe the LEICA build quality and QC, Portugal or Germany, is superior to the rest. That is only my opinion.
The Nocs in 8x are my favorite binoculars, simply breathtaking and the elegance and build quality is truly second to none, and that’s not just my opinion.
Now this collection of binoculars with the exception of the recent additions have spent a zillion hours in the field. Some have worked better than others, but the keepers are keepers. They have allowed me to develop technique for stealthfully finding and tracking birds of a couple thousand species. I meticulously maintain all of them, sable brush and microfiber cloth.
How many days is a zillion hours 😝.
I was an obsessive/compulsive audiophile. Now I listen to music and enjoy it. Birding for me is the reason I own binoculars. I have an interest in the equipment and am here to learn more from guys like you. But remember that a mule is moved forward by the carrot as well as the stick. And keep in mind that stats are wonderful as directional information, but they don't tell the whole story. If they did, there would be no reason to try on a pair of shoes before you buy them!
I prefer a Bo staff to demotivate unwanted personal attacks 😜. I agree the stats are wonderful information to have, but nothing beats trying out the equipment by yourself, I’ve sure did learn that the last couple of years
By the way, I am also blessed as a throat cancer survivor. 30 radiation and 6 chemo sessions later, with lots of side complications, I am still patrolilng the marshes in search of birds. My family and friends helped me through those difficult times, but I had no intention of cutting my birding career short...expecially when I owned so many pairs of binoculars. And this is my third year, cancer free.

Another quote from Forrest Gump , life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get. It’s just like posting on a discussion in BF😝.

Ill ad a little something about the EL’s for the OP. I’ve had extensive experience with both 42 mm and 32 mm Swaro EL’s and I find all to be the top 3-4 best binoculars being made today. The image in all of them is as sharp as any other binoculars on the market, and maybe the sharpest of any binoculars today, and I’m including the NL’s. Imo. But my favorites are the Nocs in 8x and the UV’s.

Paul

To clarify numbers which I showed in brackets, previous post... "In the early 1980's, Japanese binoculars manufacturers marked their binoculars starting around 1959 to identify the assembly and frame/body manufacturers of binoculars, as part of the quality control and inspection export standards. JB codes represent assembly factories, JE codes represent manufacturing factories. These codes were stamped into the binocular housings. If only one code appears, then in all likelihood, that factory both manufactured and assembled the binocular. The Nippon/Nikon factory code is J-B7. The Nippon/Nikon Kogaku series preceded the E series. Many of those were the Swaros of their day, featuring wide FOV and excellent glass, sans modern coatings. Clean, compact Kogaku 6x30 and 8x30s are great to throw into a glove compartment. The best still command a price in excess of $100. If you want to find one of these on the cheap, then look at the JE/JB numbers on non-Nippon branded binos. For example, the YORK brand name (Australia) often manufactured their imports in the Japanese NIKON J-B7 factory using NIKON J-E7 parts. These often go unnoticed and are a steal on Ebay. Check the Js before you buy a YORK.

Paul, For the OP, please clarify what comprises your extensive experience. Do you own any of these? Have you used them in field, and if so, how so? Are you aware that Swarovski changed the focus mechanism on the NEW 8.5x42? Do you see that change as an improvement?

Last edited:
My apologies, sometimes I miss something or I read too quickly, I must’ve missed the comment about the brick. I don’t really know anything about Swarovski using Portuguese , or if you mean Leica glass. I was just trying to share some of my experience over the last four or five years and owning a few dozen of the binoculars being discussed here on the daily basis.

This is very true , and I humbly (and without snarkiness ) concede that I spend way too much time on my iPad. I’m more of an equipment guy in my multiple hobbies, binoculars to me are more of an all around observing tool than just for birding, which I’m a beginner.

Sounds like a great place. Memories definitely count when somebody in the know has tried out some optics and can give a general feeling of its capabilities and its optical level. Not so much when we compare them to Binoculars years apart.

No need, I can get peoples opinions on multiple destinations on YouTube. Much appreciated that you’re reserve those memories, maybe start another discussion in another sub forum, i’m sure we’ll all jump over there with you 😏.

I own most of the ones you’re talking about and the ones I don’t anymore i’ve compared extensively side-by-side. My opinion is that the all the EL’s are on a similar optical level as the Noctivids , except for some slight differences in CA correction in the 10’s, your mileage may vary. I’m not hurt by your opinion, there may be others here that are 😜.

Again sorry I didn’t know that you were so new to the forum you didn’t know some of the long time members MO’s. Dennis and I and a few other members have a tendency to give digs to each other , but it’s mostly for fun and no disrespect is ever intended. Dennis is a wealth of knowledge and I agree with him more times than I care to admit. ✌🏼. Please don’t confuse sarcasm with criticism. I think you’re reading way too much into my insecurities 🙏🏼.
Paul, your Dennis explanation holds no water with me. You were using him as a third party punching bag. It is one thing to "dig one another...mostly for fun, person to person. When Dennis is used as a case study in how to do a poor review with another member, outside of your speaking directly to him, that makes him your punching bag. You wouldn't like it if members used your name in a mocking manner, especially to other members who don't even know you. That is bullying, its wrong, it violates the spirit of this Forum, and I strongly suggest you refrain from doing it again.

Paul, your Dennis explanation holds no water with me. You were using him as a third party punching bag. It is one thing to "dig one another...mostly for fun, person to person. When Dennis is used as a case study in how to do a poor review with another member, outside of your speaking directly to him, that makes him your punching bag. You wouldn't like it if members used your name in a mocking manner, especially to other members who don't even know you. That is bullying, its wrong, it violates the spirit of this Forum, and I strongly suggest you refrain from doing it again.
No you’re wrong. It’s not bullying at all. And I don’t think,you should be accusatory. It’s having fun with one another because we’ve been here a while and we know most everybody and who we can can fun with. And a lot of people do it to me as well, and soon with some of your posts they’ll be doing it to you as well. Toughen up , or there’s always the ignore button if you don’t like someone’s posts. Opinions are like that body part, I don’t have to finish the sentence. I don’t think Forrest Gump said that though.

No you’re wrong. It’s not bullying at all. And I don’t think,you should be accusatory. It’s having fun with one another because we’ve been here a while and we know most everybody and who we can can fun with. And a lot of people do it to me as well, and soon with some of your posts they’ll be doing it to you as well. Toughen up , or there’s always the ignore button if you don’t like someone’s posts. Opinions are like that body part, I don’t have to finish the sentence. I don’t think Forrest Gump said that though.
Lets have some of that one another fun! I read a thread that you take pride in having the cleanest Swaros on this Forum. Now who was trying to convince you, Mr. tough guy, that those Swaros were tough enough to actually use? 😂 You may want to take up online Sky Diving…keep that parachute clean son. Now in deference to that body part whose sentence you don’t have to finish, and in high regard for your passive/aggressive, sage advice, I press the IGNORE BUTTON without remorse.
Dennis, wherever you are,may God bless you! 😉 🙏🏼

Last edited:

Congrats on your recovery, may you have many more enjoyable years in the marshes, avoid the greenheads.

Truly appreciate your kind sentiment, and I believe that people like yourself contributed to my survival.
Paul and Dennis chide each other, nothing serious they both have a passion for the glass as I do. If you stay here long enough, you will see the passion. Here there are a mixture of birders like your self, and other optic fans as well as gear heads, so a diverse crowd. There are a few like your self who delve into the vintage Japanese glass with much knowledge as well as the binocular forum on Cloudy nights.
Hope you enjoy it here.

It is one thing to chide each other, back and forth. But using a member (Dennis or anyone else) as a poster boy for how not to review optics with a new member when Dennis is not involved in the post? That’s wrong. Passion for glass doesn’t make it right. If Paul has something to say, do it when the man is in the room. And don’t infect a new member by putting that member in the same boat with Dennis. Who elected Paul as the gatekeeper?
Birding is relaxing, going back and forth with a prima donna is not. I’ll spend my time in the field rather than online. Binoculars are tools, not collectibles. Thanks for reaching out.

Last edited:
Paul and Dennis chide each other, nothing serious they both have a passion for the glass as I do. If you stay here long enough, you will see the passion. Here there are a mixture of birders like your self, and other optic fans as well as gear heads, so a diverse crowd. There are a few like your self who delve into the vintage Japanese glass with much knowledge as well as the binocular forum on Cloudy nights.
Hope you enjoy it here.
Andy

So here the new guy is the arbiter of what is right and wrong and actually does what he accuses me of doing in a post. It’s obvious when he doesn’t know how things work and that most of the people we’re talking about are reading in the discussion. We’ve seen dozens of times righteous girly men like that come and go all the time. What a shame , when somebody can contribute good knowledge and because of being a mental midget many will ignore. I tried to be nice , but it’s just some people have to ruin the party.

Paul

Gentlemen,
I am appreciative of those members who have considerately reached out to me regarding the profile I posted on this site. Even more so for the well wishes regarding my battle with cancer. When you are brought to the brink by a life threatening illness, each and every day of life becomes a blessing. Perspectives change. You are not so much worried about yourself, but for your family, if the disease takes you. And your family is worried that they may lose you. Self interest disappears.

From the time I was a little boy, I loved to hike through the woods. Where we lived there was an entire block of land between two blocks of streets that we patrolled. Growing up, those horizons expanded to hikes along the AT, and a appreciation of the natural world.
I always delighted in watching birds. 30 years ago I purchased a Nikon 7x50 and the game was on. Through experience and time on the trail, I streamlined my carry. And through experience, I became more adept at finding and tracking birds. The benefit of 30 years in the field provides insight into what makes for a good binocular. It’s not how much you pay for it or what is written in a marketing brochure. Once you set a base line for optical quality, the best binocular is the one that work’s best in your hands In the field. It is an optical tool, not a collectible. And because each of us is different, what may work best for one might not be best for another.

Environmental conditions also play a role on what is the best binocular, day to day. On a 20 mile day hike, a hip pack, two 12 oz Zorushi canteens, bug spray, a brim hat and the little Swarovski 8x25s work best for me. On a rainy day, I am leaving the Nikon SE or vintage Leica 8x32 Trinovid circa 1969 at home And choosing a Nitrogen purged bino.
One thing for sure…the next best binocular that comes along is not always the best choice for actual field use on a 95 degree day after hiking 10 miles through the marshes! And I have to smile when birders tell me they own the Alpa of Alphas, but leave it home because they fear it might be lost or stolen. You may have overspent for the Alpha that you take out of the box to resolve the numbers on your neighbor’s mailbox a block away, if it stays in the box! 😉

30 years in the field does guarantee expertise in binoculars or in life. It does provide valuable experience, a good teacher. Eyes wide open thru the 10x42s, the mind must remain open to learn. One year fighting cancer taught me more than those 30 in the field. I looked back at the 30, appreciated what I had and have, and hoped for more time hiking trails, binoculars at the ready. It also taught me tolerance, to be less judgmental and be less critical of others. I realized that no one in this life is an expert holding a monopoly on truth. We chart a course but the outcome is not always in our hands. Appreciate each and every day. Be kind. Relax and enjoy the view!
Leaving this site. Will stay in touch. Thanks to all!

So here the new guy is the arbiter of what is right and wrong and actually does what he accuses me of doing in a post. I tried to be nice , but it’s just some people have to ruin the party.
I can't believe how gracious you are with rude posters and it's always struck me that you value making the forum peaceful, oftentimes letting them run over you. You're an exemplary member here and that newcomer is totally out of control. Most other forums would probably have already gotten rid of him and his closing line "It also taught me tolerance, to be less judgmental and be less critical of others. I realized that no one in this life is an expert holding a monopoly on truth." is pure, unadulterated crap in light of what he's dominated this thread with.
The forum is a better place with you, and without him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back