• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID, Northwest Territories (1 Viewer)

kuips

Hi all.

Here is a picture of a bird (the large one on the left), which I believe is a ______ (I'm not telling, for fear of skewing answers).

What do you think it is? Those smaller birds are either crows or ravens.

Attachments

• 545157_10150835738191138_569851137_12324763_936128470_n.jpg
    545157_10150835738191138_569851137_12324763_936128470_n.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 84
Sure looks like a Turkey Vulture to me also from this angle.

The one big problem is that Wheeler's Western Edition Range map doesn't show them anywhere near the Northwest Territories. Furthest north is due east of Edmonton. The text says that in historical times there were about 100 pairs in Alberta and Saskatchewan and North Dakota. The book was printed in 2003.

Bob

Thanks folks.

The official bird list of Northwest Territories lists the Turkey Vulture as 'Rare/Accidental'.

Ha. I didn't take the picture. I was asked to confirm it as a Turkey Vulture from a friend of a friend, up in the Northwest Territories.

And yes, that's what I think it is. Birding up here is quite fun. It's very easy to find new species for geographic areas. No one lives this far north, and even less people care about birds enough to classify them.

I added a new species to Alberta's provincial list earlier this year (Rock Ptarmigan), and a couple of weeks ago added a new species to Wood Buffalo National Park's list (Townsend's Solitaire)

Birding up here is quite fun. It's very easy to find new species for geographic areas. No one lives this far north, and even less people care about birds enough to classify them.

I know what you mean--Nevada's a bit like that also. A couple of winters ago I added no less than 2 new species to the state list and I don't claim to be that much of a field man. There are several other Nevada birders who have done even better in recent years.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back