• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (18 Viewers)

Certainly is Dave.... a lovely winter visitor. Watch out for others now. Last winter I had a female turn up and 2 days later she came back with another.

Today of note:
6 Redpoll
Grey Heron
Blackcap (which now seems to be regular and is unmoved by the bedlam around it)
2 GS Woodpecker together.. both males.
Pied Wagtail

Lots of Blackbirds, with an especially aggresive female under the feeders keeping everything else on their toes

My mum sent me this pic today, in order to show me how busy her feeder is. "Even a woodpecker came to the garden today..."
Indeed, a nice woodpecker, this one!

Attachments

• MSW.JPG
    MSW.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 58
  • MSW-2.JPG
    MSW-2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Another busy weekend in the garden - all the usual birds and the 4 Chaffinch are almost in/around the garden the whole day. We had half a dozen Blackbirds too and a Great Tit, which I haven't seen that much of recently.

On the way to the White Rose Shopping centre this morning there must have been 60+ Redwings in the bushes by the road - never seen so many in one go!

Brilliant stuff!

A little happening around my way today again, The waxys have arrived! A c30 count viewable from my garden with a scope, Cheeky one that! I like em to be well with in me boundaries but were great birds non the less!

Also pied wagtail briefly made it to the back garden and promptly got shown the way out by a bloody tom cat! So the orrible hound showed him the exit:)

Cheers

Karpman

Must be great to see so many waxwings Karpman, unfortunately my gardens only big enough for 1 Cotoneaster and 1 Holly tree which the local blackbirds deal with before any passing waxwings coukd see.

Just got some quick record shots of the Bramblings to share as far as the garden went today. Too busy elsewhere!

Rest assured I'm going to make more of an effort soon, although it's a hell of a time to run out of Birdfood and Sunflower Hearts!

Attachments

• BramblingBF1.jpg
    BramblingBF1.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 58
  • BramblingBF2.jpg
    BramblingBF2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 49
  • BramblingBF3.jpg
    BramblingBF3.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 47
  • BramblingBF4.jpg
    BramblingBF4.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 55
My mum sent me this pic today, in order to show me how busy her feeder is. "Even a woodpecker came to the garden today..."
Indeed, a nice woodpecker, this one!

Thought it was A lesser spotted for a momnent. That would be a garden bird!

Great stuff everyone. Keep em coming. :t:

Last edited:
Hi Guys, been a while since I have logged on here, but thought I'd come along and say hi and give a little update.

Lovely pics of Bramblings, I must admit, I have been looking out for them as well as Redpolls but I don't think we get them in the South-east. Or so my Dad says.

What I have been getting latly is a large number of Greenfinch which I am pleased with. When they first arrived 5 was the figure, I can now say there is at least 26 that visit daily and squabble with themselves for a perch on the feeder. Chaffinch numbers have gone up from 2 to 6, getting more brave going on the feeders. A Robin that has learnt to get Hearts from the feeder and will feed on there confidently for up to a minute at times, female blackbird which has returned since vanishing in mid summer and keeps chasing off her "old" mate, 3 Dunocks, half dozen woodpidgeons, 3 Collard Doves, 4 or 5Sparrows, pair of Magpies, pair of Jays, Bluies Greaties and Coalies, which have also increased in numbers.

No Goldfinch return yet aside from a brief appearence by one 2 weeks ago or so. The odd young Starling from earlier in the year has been coming in a bit today. Amazing how the speckles have increased over the last few months. Where they have been for the last 4 months?

Had the privilge to have a fly over from a Green Woodpecker earlier this week and saw a GSW flying from tree to tree calling away. Still hoping for an appearence from him in the garden. I have the fat on stand by :)

Well thats my little bit of input. Certainly interesting times with the weather being the way it is at the moment. Better have ur binoculars at the ready :) ;)

Last edited:
Ahh well, now that explains my confusion with that Woody. I thought your home was here in the UK but I now see where you actually mean by home.
An MSW as a garden bird here in the UK would be even better than an LSW wouldn't it. :-O

I personally think you'll miss the climate more than the birds. ;) But just think with your rekindled enthusiasm for birding I'm sure you will find home just as exciting as you rediscover all those wonderful German birds. :t:

Didn't see anything in the garden but the trees on the end of the street were full of Blackbirds, there is a lot of them around at the moment! On the road by work (my second home |>|) I came within a couple of feet of a female Grey Wagtail before she realised I was there and flew off!

There are some lovely pictures and sightings posted at the moment. You are all very lucky. I have been watching my little garden and apart from the usual sparrows and blue tit clan, I have 2 female and 1 Male blackbird. They have taken a liking to sunflower seeds in the tray on the feeder. I have 2 pairs of chaffinches, 2 great tits, 1 newly resident goldfinch and 2 that come visiting. There is a pair of very frisky collared doves charging around. There are a few jackdaws and magpies around but not really coming into the garden much and the seagulls are circling. I am watching a big thrush sitting on the fence and a pied wagtail trying to get water from my water fountain. Can anybody suggest a good type of food for either of the last 2. We are putting out soaked chopped raisins in this cold weather as well as all the usual suet and fat balls, seed, nyger and sunflower seeds.:t:

Mr Blackbird has just had a fight with a starling and the blackbird won. Our robin has just caused chaos on the feeders and chased everything off. It is really busy out here. It is snowing here but so far we have had very little. Everywhere is frozen solid though.

GSW in the tree outside my bedroom this morning, pecking away at the branches then flew back off to the woods. He is getting closer :p

Also the Green Woodpecker flew out of the tree when I looked out again earlier. I think they are now just teasing me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back