• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Have occasionally seen a wandering Hazel Grouse before, but still was a shock and a half - was just admiring a buddleia that I had planted, now a near dozen species of butterfly frequenting its glowing flowers, when a whole load of whirling of wings and up flitted a posse of young Hazel Grouse and mama! perched in birches a while as they all decided what to do, then one by one cruising off towards another patch of birch.

Family of Golden Orioles also nice.

102. Hazel Grouse

I have seen my only Golden Orioles in Lithuania. Nowadays it is a rarer and rarer around here. I know one place where they have been nesting every year, but again this year I somehow forget to go there when the singing time was on... :-C

In almost 2 months, I have seen one new bird from my garden. July 9th a

#67. Common (or Red if you prefer so) Crossbill flew over and "ticks".

Rain has been also very rare sight in our garden. After June 22nd it has been raining once, last Sunday. But I'm not moaning... (even the apples keep dropping on the trees due to drought.)

Luckily they sing also at autumn. I hear them almost every morning.

Edit: Oh! You have seen it already. I should read all posts before make a comment.

No worries Wari, it wasn’t singing but wasting a lot of its time chasing off the local Robins, have you (or anyone else) noticed how aggressive W Warblers can be? Our apples and plums are also falling before they are ripe because of the dry summer.
Eight species of raptor from the garden yesterday (including Griffon Vulture and Lamergeier which may not technically count as birds of prey), not bad for a location off the migration route south.

I've just realised that the

Yellowhammer

that flew past a few days since was a garden year bird!

I won't say what score that puts me on - still in the minor league!

Overnight and early morning fog had created a bit of a fall of Warblers, when I went down for breakfast, in the garden there were 8 – 10 Willow Warblers, 2 or 3 Chiffchaffs and a single …

90. Sedge Warbler

A real surprise this morning in the garden pond.

92. Water Rail

Attachments

• Water Rail 1.jpg
    Water Rail 1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Water Rail 2.jpg
    Water Rail 2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 36
Hello,
Since some weeks see a young brown bird with beak rather like a woodpecker. When see it is always on the same part of the grass in my garden. First time saw it was very young. I feel sure its a woodpecker .
Since some years have two green woodpeckers mostly see from my garden the woodpeckers up in my nieghbous tree but quite often in mine on the grass.

Rewarded with Moorhen and Water Rail in the last two years, hoping for a Crake next time.

You were right the pun was poor.

Sorry, I get your points and promise to stay on track from now on.

Brenda, it probably is a young Green Woodpecker, try and see if it’s starting to get red feathering on the crown, we had one on our grass last week looking for ants and its head was just beginning to show red.

Sorry, I get your points and promise to stay on track from now on.

Brenda, it probably is a young Green Woodpecker, try and see if it’s starting to get red feathering on the crown, we had one on our grass last week looking for ants and its head was just beginning to show red.

Havent seen the bird today , will try to have a good look at its crown next time.

Was at a street party today when news of a Fea's Petrel came through dashed home, but dipped although did get a year bird.

93. Sooty Shearwater

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back