• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10d deals? (1 Viewer)

peteh

hello,

Just before I take the plunge, has any noticed any better deals than
Park Cameras who have the 10d at £1099 and the £100-400 at £1198?

ta
Pete.

That's the best price for the 10d that I've seen in last few weeks...not sure on the 100-400 i.s. lens though, sure I've seen that slightly cheaper lately. I'll have another look.. but Park are a good company, so you may be better off buying from them anyway.

Hi Pete,
It might be worthwhile checking the AJ Purdy website as in the past they have claimed to be the cheapest in the UK. I would also suggest at least looking at the Canon-fit Sigma 80-400 OS Ex lens before committing to the Canon 100-400 L IS lens as the zoom adjustment is less ungainly & the focus ring is in a better position -allowing quick effective manual focus-which you'll need when using the 10D with one of these lenses and a 2x convertor (-> effective magnification of x25.6 @ 400mm lens setting). The Canon lens has slightly better optical qualities but as the 10D effectively crops the lens image from the centre this difference becomes irrelevant unless you go on to buy a full-frame digital camera.You'ed need to suss out how good the Sigma OS system is compared to Canon's IS as "vibration reduction" can make a huge contribution to getting a good image. The Sigma lens is cheaper at just under £900. The money saved will be needed for a good tripod & head. ;)
Cheers,
Steve

That is a good price for both the camera and the lens. I was considering this lens, as it is the one a friend has bought for his 10D, but opted for the Sigma 50-500 instead, as I wanted to keep costs down a little. I've ended up paying £1160 for the 10D from Jacobs.

I notice that the Park Cameras website says the 10D is in stock, which is a surprise as everywhere I rang the other day said they would have to order it or they would be getting some more stock in January. Mind you, I have bought my camera and lens on a 'buy-now-pay-later deal, which Park do not appear to do.

Yes I had also noticed everywhere (apart from parks)were out of stock of the 10d Diane.
I suppose it might be best If I wait for the others to get stock and see what price they fire out.

Definately sticking with the 100-400 though. I've made my mind up on that :)

Found one main place in the Uk doing that lens for £1429!! bonkers.

Thanks
Pete.

ps. Michael I have not got a clue what your talking about, I think I am too young to understand :p

I know it's a bit difficult for Pete over there on the I.O.M., but for anyone thinking of getting a camera + lens at the same time ....go to shop in person and haggle, you'll generally get a fair bit knocked off if they think you'll walk away and buy elsewhere. I know some people find it difficult to haggle in a shop but 9 times out of 10 you'll save money.
When I purchased my dslr a few weeks ago I wanted a 70-300mm lens to play around with... the starting price was £270 and they came down to £200.

Finally ordered my gear today from Park cameras.
I even sort of haggled and got another 50 quid knocked off.
:)

For those of you who are not aware, the likes of Jessops will price match anything they stock as long as you can produce a screen capture or the like showing the company offering the product (and obviously the price). I imagine that would have been far preferable for you in particular Pete and may avoid the risk of losses/postal charges, not to mention the ease of sorting problems when you need repairs.
Jessops is only one of the companies doing this, but if you don't ask you won't get. Anyone paying full price at the likes of Jessops needs to have their head examining.

Thanks for that Max
but it really annoys me when places try and cheat people out of money.
If one shop are offering the camera at xxx price and it is below another shop
I will go with them as they have had the balls to offer it for the lower price.
In my view Jessops (and other shops like them) are doing a completely wimpy thing and should not be rewarded for it with my custom!

grrrrr ... glad I got that off my chest!

I saved £130 off my Canon G3 using the Jessops price-match offer. I wasn't sure if the same thing would be possible with the recent purchase of the 10D, as the camera was pretty much a rarity at any shop just before Christmas.

I believe the item has to be in stock at the place you're asking them to match. When I bought the G3 the assistant went to phone Amazon to make sure.

I appreciate what you say Pete, however principles don't help you much when you encounter problems and you can't just simply take your camera to your local major retailer. Lets face it, the likes of the local Jessops staff couldn't give a monkeys if your getting a cracking deal from them as they don't set the prices and they get paid whatever you do. By the way, Nomatica.co.uk currently have the 10d for sale for £1050 and Jessops will match. I guess it's too late for you though (or is it?).

Canon deals

Hello All
Just thought I would add my bit..just been looking at that outfit in the Channel Islands..Canon 10D body £999 free postage. The 300d is also discounted. I am pleased to see someone could be starting a price war. I am still going to wait until at least November this year before I buy. I may buy in the Caribbean £770 unless the price reductions continue.

A question for Andy Bright about lenses. If I go for the 10D I would be looking for something to start me off. What do you all think to the Canon EF 75-300 f/4.56 IS USM just as a starter. I purchased an E20 just 14 months ago I will will be keeping that, I just need to reach parts my fix lens E20 will not do. I am still digiscoping and I think I will have to be satisfied I dare not go down that road of DSLR of expensive prime lenses.

Roy.

I've just been told that the new Olympus digital SLR is able to take existing OM lenses with an adapter which can be obtained free of charge from Olympus on proof of purchase of the camera body.

This means that the Tamron adaptall lenses can also be used with the appropriate adapter - sounds good to me! Save having to buy all new lenses.

RoyH said:
A question for Andy Bright about lenses. If I go for the 10D I would be looking for something to start me off. What do you all think to the Canon EF 75-300 f/4.56 IS USM just as a starter. I purchased an E20 just 14 months ago I will will be keeping that, I just need to reach parts my fix lens E20 will not do. I am still digiscoping and I think I will have to be satisfied I dare not go down that road of DSLR of expensive prime lenses.

Roy.
Hi Roy, I think there are far beter people to ask than myself (especially as I'm a Nikon user)....in fact a dedicated thread may be in order.
It does sound a bargain for an IS lens, though you'll always be hankering for something longer.
Regards,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Hi Roy, I think there are far beter people to ask than myself (especially as I'm a Nikon user)....in fact a dedicated thread may be in order.
It does sound a bargain for an IS lens, though you'll always be hankering for something longer.
Regards,
Andy

Thank you for your comments, I am sure you are right but I have a few months to think about what I am putting up front but I thought the same about the above lens being a bargain.

Regards,

Roy.

RoyH said:
Thank you for your comments, I am sure you are right but I have a few months to think about what I am putting up front but I thought the same about the above lens being a bargain.

Regards,

Roy.

I ordered at Canon 10D last Thursday from 7dayshop.com - arrived on the Saturday morning. Total cost was only £919 - inc VAT, free p&p!

Camera appears to be very good, although I'd like some feedback on the pros/cons of RAW vs JPG - as a digiscoper, I'm used to JPG - never had the opportunity to use RAW format - anyone got any tips/recommendations?

John

John Malloy said:
I ordered at Canon 10D last Thursday from 7dayshop.com - arrived on the Saturday morning. Total cost was only £919 - inc VAT, free p&p!

Camera appears to be very good, although I'd like some feedback on the pros/cons of RAW vs JPG - as a digiscoper, I'm used to JPG - never had the opportunity to use RAW format - anyone got any tips/recommendations?

John

Hello John,
Pleased to see you got a good deal from 7dayshop, I purchased my 10d two weeks ago for £979 from uk.cameras. Although I had been monitoring 7day for ages plus many others on Ebay I did not trust them but I see 7day have now moved their goal posts with doing the job right and adding the VAT. I am very pleased with my purchase I also bought the Canon 100-400L USM IS lens at the same time. Sorry I can't help you with Raw vs JPG I have tested the RAW mode but I would like to know the benefit of using this mode so perhaps the experts will explain. I wonder what you have in front of your 10d ?.

Brilliant piece of kit, good luck with the pictures.

Regards

Roy.

Hi John
RAW is brilliant if you have time to spend ages in front of the pc
fiddling around.
But if you take hundreds and hundreds of pics in a day I could see RAW being a right pain.
As it takes longer to preview the pic (on the pc) then after you have changed WB or exposure or whatever you then have to transfer the file into a photo program and this also takes about 10-20secs each.

The benefits of RAW is that you are taking what they call a "digital negative"
When you first get it on your pc you can change many of the settings without it affecting the quality of the shot so this means you have a lot more control on how the photo comes out. (If you shoot Jpg your camera would do this as you took the pic depending on the in-camera settings you have selected.)

For example you could have accidentally got your exposure wrong on a pic.
With RAW you can amend the exposure compensation (on the PC) to get the correct exposure. Without any drop in quality. (Obviously this works to a point, theres no bringing back a super overexposed shot or vice versa)
If you had shot this on JPG you would have to change Brightness and Levels and when you change them the quality of the photo decreases.

After I got my 10D I shot for about 2 months in JPG then switched to RAW and have never looked back.

Hope that helps.
Pete.

Last edited:
peteh said:
Hi John
RAW is brilliant if you have time to spend ages in front of the pc
fiddling around.
But if you take hundreds and hundreds of pics in a day I could see RAW being a right pain.
As it takes longer to preview the pic (on the pc) then after you have changed WB or exposure or whatever you then have to transfer the file into a photo program and this also takes about 10-20secs each.

The benefits of RAW is that you are taking what they call a "digital negative"
When you first get it on your pc you can change many of the settings without it affecting the quality of the shot so this means you have a lot more control on how the photo comes out. (If you shoot Jpg your camera would do this as you took the pic depending on the in-camera settings you have selected.)

For example you could have accidentally got your exposure wrong on a pic.
With RAW you can amend the exposure compensation (on the PC) to get the correct exposure. Without any drop in quality. (Obviously this works to a point, theres no bringing back a super overexposed shot or vice versa)
If you had shot this on JPG you would have to change Brightness and Levels and when you change them the quality of the photo decreases.

After I got my 10D I shot for about 2 months in JPG then switched to RAW and have never looked back.

Hope that helps.
Pete.

Thanks very much for the advice - my 100-400 IS arrived today (seems to be an excellent lens!), so I now look forward to finishing nightshifts and getting out in the field for some serious practice!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back