• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 1DX User Issues..Need Help (1 Viewer)

I had a trial with the Auto Iso plus EV feature today and to be fair it worked OK but really, dialling in EV is no different from increasing or decreasing the ISO isn't it ?
When it comes to AF point selection it also depends on which lens I'm using but today using the 300mm f2.8 plus 2.0xTC I found nailing focus with expanded centre point was impossible but zone AF worked for me.The subject was pretty small in the frame, the attached shot is a 60% crop.
I have set the camera to equal priority between release and focus for the first shot, focus priority +2 for the second. I also used mode 6 today, still not sure which works the best for whatever scene or circumstance I'm in.
The exif reads f8 1/2000th second which were set manually, the auto ISO with +2 EV was ISO 4000.
The shot was slightly over exposed which was what I wanted and I have tweaked it in PP.
cheers Dave

Attachments

• Cormorant  17568.jpg
    Cormorant 17568.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 97
Nice one - dark coloured birds are always difficult to expose for.
I use the setup that I mentioned because it is faster for me as I can see exactly what compensation I am using without removing my eye from the viewfinder to find the appropriate buttons!
When I was at the Weston Super Mare airshow recently I found that I could set several different exposure setting on one pass to adjust for the differing light.
I note your comments on Zone AF, I haven't used it much so far - I will have to give it a proper try.

I had a trial with the Auto Iso plus EV feature today and to be fair it worked OK but really, dialling in EV is no different from increasing or decreasing the ISO isn't it ?
When it comes to AF point selection it also depends on which lens I'm using but today using the 300mm f2.8 plus 2.0xTC I found nailing focus with expanded centre point was impossible but zone AF worked for me.The subject was pretty small in the frame, the attached shot is a 60% crop.
I have set the camera to equal priority between release and focus for the first shot, focus priority +2 for the second. I also used mode 6 today, still not sure which works the best for whatever scene or circumstance I'm in.
The exif reads f8 1/2000th second which were set manually, the auto ISO with +2 EV was ISO 4000.
The shot was slightly over exposed which was what I wanted and I have tweaked it in PP.
cheers Dave

Looks pretty damn good to me - love the detail even in a heavy crop, wish I was still working and a 1DX would be on the way!

Phil

It certainly is different Dave, especially if you were using auto ISO in manual mode without invoking that special feature about Ev and auto ISO in manual that only the 1DX has got. Without using this feature, when you change anything in Manual mode the auto ISO just changes to zero the exposure all the time. On the 5D3 you can not apply any Ev comp while in Manual and auto ISO which is a real pain for me :C
If you are working in AV or Tv mode you can apply Ev comp while using auto ISO but not in manual mode.

Last edited:
It certainly is different Dave, especially if you were using auto ISO in manual mode without invoking that special feature about Ev and auto ISO in manual that only the 1DX has got. Without using this feature, when you change anything in Manual mode the auto ISO just changes to zero the exposure all the time. On the 5D3 you can not apply any Ev comp while in Manual and auto ISO which is a real pain for me :C
If you are working in AV or Tv mode you can apply Ev comp while using auto ISO but not in manual mode.

I don't think I have explained myself Roy.
I was using manual mode as I usually do plus auto Iso and I dialled in +2 EV which overexposed the subject slightly. Just as I wanted it. The resulting ISO was 4000.
I must admit I paid no attention to the light meter which I normally use to judge my settings.
My question is, If the sun had suddenly beamed down on the bird, the ISO would have reduced automatically but the +2 might no longer be appropriate and over exposed the subject more than I wanted ? I would have to adjust EV but isn't this the same as changing ISO ?
I was using evaluative metering incidentally.

I don't think I have explained myself Roy.
I was using manual mode as I usually do plus auto Iso and I dialled in +2 EV which overexposed the subject slightly. Just as I wanted it. The resulting ISO was 4000.
I must admit I paid no attention to the light meter which I normally use to judge my settings.
My question is, If the sun had suddenly beamed down on the bird, the ISO would have reduced automatically but the +2 might no longer be appropriate and over exposed the subject more than I wanted ? I would have to adjust EV but isn't this the same as changing ISO ?
I was using evaluative metering incidentally.
Yes I see your point Dave, you are lucky to be able to use Ev comp and auto ISO in Manual with the 1DX Dave (with the special setting invoked) as you cannot do this with any other Canon Camera. If I tried to do this in manual on the 5D3 the auto ISO would just change the ISO and cancel out any Ev comp - Just wish they would allow this on the 5D3.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back