• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (2 Viewers)

I'm giving it a go this year. I retire in April and plan to spend much more time in the garden. I started paying attention on Garden Birdwatch weekend. Up to 28 so far with the best being Goldcrest, Bullfinch and Grey Heron.

Welcome aboard John! Are you close enough to the Severn Estuary to get flyover widfowl and waders?
Unlike Ken, I'm still waiting for the first House Sparrow here, they're wisely staying nice and cosy down the road at the nearest farm. I'm spending a lot of time scrutinising the Siskin and Goldfinch visitors in the hope of picking out a Redpoll or Citril Finch but no luck so far. A Pine Bunting mixed in with the half a dozen Yellowhamers would be nice...............................

Welcome aboard John! Are you close enough to the Severn Estuary to get flyover widfowl and waders?
Unlike Ken, I'm still waiting for the first House Sparrow here, they're wisely staying nice and cosy down the road at the nearest farm. I'm spending a lot of time scrutinising the Siskin and Goldfinch visitors in the hope of picking out a Redpoll or Citril Finch but no luck so far. A Pine Bunting mixed in with the half a dozen Yellowhamers would be nice...............................

Guys! I currently have between 8-12 Siskins visiting the niger daily since early November, arriving after first light, feeding up, squabbling, then gone for 15 mins. before returning to feed again. That's generally the daily routine, however a week ago I espied only my ''2nd ever'' Siskin with ''jewellery!'' despite much looking....I've drawn a blank on it's return, you never know you too might get one from a long way off!

My furthest recorded controlled bird was a Redpoll from Brussels!...so keep ''yer mince pies peeled'' :eek!:

Not near the estuary unfortunately a classic suburban garden but in a river valley so a few birds do go up and down. In the same valley, I’ve seen Osprey from my house, Black Kite over my sisters, Honey Buzzard past my dads and spoonbill from a friends house. 3 white stork must also have overflown one day when I was skywatching the next river valley over! I’m not expecting anything unusual but you never know.

Last edited:
I tought that GG Shrike would be my best garden tick 2018, but last friday I came home after successful twitch of Glacous Gull. I leave my scope at the veranda and put my binoculars at kitchen table, when I saw something interesting on neighbours fir: Small bird made clear for fir cones. "Common Crossbills are back (after two months of absence)." I thoght and rise binos to my eyes. "Sh*t, the binos are frost!" but I manage to see something what makes me quite exited: "What a h*ll! There is some white on the wings!" I ran into the veranda and turned to the telescope towards the bird. And there it was (Or actually two of them)...

#24. White-winged Crossbill - Lifer among other things B :) (Videolink on Lifer-Thread)

And later on that evening I saw one over flying...

#25. Goosander - male.

Attachments

• aIMG_7190.jpg
    aIMG_7190.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 31
I tought that GG Shrike would be my best garden tick 2018, but last friday I came home after successful twitch of Glacous Gull. I leave my scope at the veranda and put my binoculars at kitchen table, when I saw something interesting on neighbours fir: Small bird made clear for fir cones. "Common Crossbills are back (after two months of absence)." I thoght and rise binos to my eyes. "Sh*t, the binos are frost!" but I manage to see something what makes me quite exited: "What a h*ll! There is some white on the wings!" I ran into the veranda and turned to the telescope towards the bird. And there it was (Or actually two of them)...

#24. White-winged Crossbill - Lifer among other things B :) (Videolink on Lifer-Thread)

#25. Goosander - male.

Great stuff, it’s all happening in Finland!!

#25. Goosander - male.

Congrats. on that Wari!....a truly awesome grdn.tick. :t:

I dream of the day I get a lifer in the garden! What a bird Wari :t:

One new one for the year yesterday at home:

38. House Martin

On the down side, a neighbour has just cut down a tall Almond tree - while in full blossom - just this morning I was watching a delightful group of Linnets, with males just about in breeding plumage, sat preening amongst the dense blossom. Its (it was!) also the tallest tree close by and provided lots of perches - I've seen a number of garden firsts on this tree and I could see it well from my desk.....How can folk decide to wait till a tree is in full blossom with hundreds of flowers open and then cut it down :C...... rant over (but very sad)

Thanks for all your congratulations. :t:
It really was remarkable bird. For a couple of days our garden was honored to be the subject of the interest of many birder. Some came even from Helsinki.
I got really good laughs, when our sons 8 year old frend said: "There is some odd weirdos out there and they photographing your garden." :'D

Simon, I feel your sadness for the almond tree. It's disgrace every time when old (or otherwise beautiful) tree cutted down. :-C

Simon, I feel your sadness for the almond tree. It's disgrace every time when old (or otherwise beautiful) tree cutted down. :-C

I think the chainsaw wielding macho-man was more interested is showing his onlooking friends what an authentic lumberjack he was ;) Yes, disgraceful disregard for natural beauty!

I got really good laughs, when our sons 8 year old frend said: "There is some odd weirdos out there and they photographing your garden." :'D

A group of chappies out birding, hiding behind bushes or trying to be invisible is a rather wierd sight for joe public - I think us birders forget sometimes, just how funny we can look :-O

Got back earlier than I expected today so had my sarnies in the garden and well worth it......

52 Peregrine

which is my 74th species for the garden life-list. Plus three Buzzards, two Ravens and a Sparrowhawk.

Steve

Garden "lifer" and year tick today . Blackcap on the fat ball feeder. It seems the variety of species that will visit garden feeders is increasing all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back