Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Griswold’s Vacations 2020

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 19:09   #26
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Sounds like Norfolk was a big hit,Rich.
Great reading,as always.
Cheers Mr Nevis. Your neck of the woods next. The boys are really hoping for snow.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 20:24   #27
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
Cheers Mr Nevis. Your neck of the woods next. The boys are really hoping for snow.

Rich
Can't speak for the Spey but over on the Dee side of the Cairngorms,there Is snow all around the Braemar area at the moment.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 20:50   #28
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Can't speak for the Spey but over on the Dee side of the Cairngorms,there Is snow all around the Braemar area at the moment.
Diolch. I’ll pack the sledges.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Today, 13:22   #29
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Day 1

So we left Neath at 03:00 and made pretty good time up to Glasgow. Some Roe Deer were the only sightings of note. A couple by the FOD and then a couple more up in Lancashire.

Did try a vegan pastie from the Cornish Pasty Company on the way up. Absolutely delicious. Filled with spiced cauliflower and onion baji.

Stopped off at Strathclyde Loch. Went through dozens of Black-headed Gulls but couldn't find the Ring-billed Gull. It was now that the heavens opened and me and the boy got soaked. I panicked a bit when he slipped the lead but he just legged it back to the car to get out of the rain

The last leg of this journey has turned into a real ache over the years - the last 120 miles are covered by average speed cameras

We then did our usual and stocked up on cheese at Rothiemurchus, and meat from the butchers in Nethy. Couldn't get in the hot tub as there was a fault So it was time for an early night.

Rich

Old Today, 13:40   #30
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Day 2

Absolutely brilliant c5 mile walk through the local forest with the hound. He just enjoys being out and about. On returning my nephew was having food so Bud and I did a little circuit alongside the river. Cracking views of a treecreeper and a heap of Siskins by the football pitch. On the river itself a pair of Dippers was busy feeding away.

In the afternoon we went for a spin to Burghead. A good choice as it turned out. Sheltering in the harbour were 9 Eider. Just outside of the harbour were 4 Long-tailed Ducks, Goldeneye and a few Red-breasted Mergansers. Shag was a year tick as well. Wandered up to the point and had decent views of a Black-throated Diver. On the way back we drove around Lochindorb. Very windy but there were good numbers of Goldeneye and a pair of Goosander on the loch itself. Had a swift beer in the Nethybridge Hotel as dogs are allowed in. Once we moved the boy away from someone else's Border Collie, his behaviour was brilliant.

Back to the cottage for cheese. I can recommend the Stinking Bishop The hot tub had been fixed but required some time for the water to warm up so again, there was no chance for a soak.

Old Today, 17:31   #31
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Forgot to mention that my brother in law and father came across some scat full of small bones in the forest. Unfortunately I was up ahead with the dog so didn't see it. Cat was the first thing that sprung to my mind. I showed them a picture of Pine Martin scat and they didn't think it looked at all like that.

Rich

Old Today, 17:46   #32
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Day 3

Another brilliant day in Speyside. With the hot tub fixed the boys were in there at 7:15 this morning I headed down to Loch Garten with the pup. As soon as we arrived the snow came down. Absolutely magical. Just me and the pup wandering around the reserve by ourselves.

Next we went up to the reserve centre. Heaps of Coal Tits etc. and then a Crested Tit came down to feed. Cracking views.

Back now to the cottage. The others took the sledges whilst I slow cooked some beef in red wine and completed a job application

On returning we decided to head back down to Abernethy for another walk. Another good decision. Whilst the others were distracted by a Roe Deer, an absolutely stunning female Capercaillie flew out of the tree. For the brief amount of time it was in view the colours were amazing. As is often the case with these birds (so it seems) it was gone in a flash. The others didn't get on to it

Still with a good amount of daylight left we headed to Loochindorb. A few Red Grouse showed themselves and were a nice year tick. My old man and sister in the car behind also saw a Black Grouse.

Anyway. Just put some spuds on for mash and then it's beer in the hot tub time

Nos da pawb.

Rich

Old Today, 18:59   #33
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Glad it's going well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Ring-bill on the return journey.

We're on a mostly non birding trip to Cambridge & London, made even less birding by our failure to find the Ring-necked Duck in Bedford on the way down in horrible weather!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: