• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question regarding focus mechanic (1 Viewer)

Oxford dictionary says forums.

Fora are public squares in ancient roman cities.

I suppose we could have a public meeting in Rome to discuss this most important topic :)

More to the point for me are 'pair of binoculars', 'set of binoculars' and all other forms of 'a binocular'.

Binastro:

My point exactly. That's why in post #7 I said:

-especially since "fora" is often used to denote a physical place-as in the days of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle.

Attached is the little brother to my too-heavy-to-be-real dictionary. And fighting the same battles as you, the other photo comes from vignette #46 in the book. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.22.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.22.18 AM.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.28.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.28.43 AM.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 12
Geez, Bill. I never "turned on you," in the first place. Buck up dude. You got all you need. Have fun with it.

Maybe it's not all I need, but so it goes.

Mark

Don't need to "buck up." I was just Just checkin. You know how easy it is for me to be misunderstood. I just wanted to be certain I didn't unwittingly step on your toes. :cat:

Bill

Don't need to "buck up." I was just Just checkin. You know how easy it is for me to be misunderstood. I just wanted to be certain I didn't unwittingly step on your toes. :cat:

Bill

Sorry Bill. You and I are both too smart to pretend to be "misunderstood." You know what you're doing. So do I. Not too sure why I do this here, but oh well. I'm surprisingly objective when it gets down to it.

Mark

Ok guys, it would be fine for me if you shred my english skills. I know it could be better.
But could you please talk about latin somewhere else?

I can imagine that my question is somewhat silly for binocular veterans. But i havent had asked for it if i think the same.

No offence but i am glad about every answer here just to see its mostly about grammar.

Ok guys, it would be fine for me if you shred my english skills. I know it could be better.

I can imagine that my question is somewhat silly for binocular veterans. But i havent had asked for it if i think the same.

No offence but i am glad about every answer here just to see its mostly about grammar.

You are right but have to excuse us for having some campfiretalks. Boys will be boys:smoke:

No, no! You were just fine! The posts concerning grammar were more useful to our international optical community than any number of prattling posts on binoculars. Change your grammar ONLY when YOU see the need to alter it to be better understood by the audience/person you are trying to communicate with (preposition at the end and all). If that situation doesn't arise ... don't change a bloody thing! :cat:

Bill

Sorry Bill. You and I are both too smart to pretend to be "misunderstood." You know what you're doing. So do I. Not too sure why I do this here, but oh well. I'm surprisingly objective when it gets down to it.

Mark

Hi, Mark,

Who's pretending? Because I don't beat around the bush a lot or act like I'm ashamed of knowing what I'm talking about, I'm sometimes taken as rude, arrogant, or condescending. 'Fact is I just try to be helpful.

Suppose a fellow goes to a crafts store to buy some "blue" oil paint. The sales person might ask him if he's talking about: azure blue, phthalo blue, Cerulean blue, cobalt blue, Prussian blue, ultramarine blue, or one of more a dozen other pigments. New to painting, the customer gets angry because he just wants "blue" and thinks the salesperson is trying to make life difficult. Is it the salesperson's fault the customer is not as yet experienced enough to be more precise in his wants? It is not. But, who takes the heat for the confusion? Is it the one who actually understands the options or the one who doesn't?

And, what if the salesperson recognizes the problem and immediately hands the fellow a tube of Prussian blue to solve TODAY'S problem? It may become TOMORROW'S problem if the customer gets home and realizes what he really needed for his sky was Cerulean blue but doesn't know a bit of titanium white could solve THAT problem. The one who tried desperately to help is once again the butt of the customer's frustration.

Jan is in retail optical goods. You might ask him if I am not accurate about similar situations in binoculars. :cat:

Bill

Hi, Mark,

Who's pretending? Because I don't beat around the bush a lot or act like I'm ashamed of knowing what I'm talking about, I'm sometimes taken as rude, arrogant, or condescending. 'Fact is I just try to be helpful.

Suppose a fellow goes to a crafts store to buy some "blue" oil paint. The sales person might ask him if he's talking about: azure blue, phthalo blue, Cerulean blue, cobalt blue, Prussian blue, ultramarine blue, or one of more a dozen other pigments. New to painting, the customer gets angry because he just wants "blue" and thinks the salesperson is trying to make life difficult. Is it the salesperson's fault the customer is not as yet experienced enough to be more precise in his wants? It is not. But, who takes the heat for the confusion? Is it the one who actually understands the options or the one who doesn't?

And, what if the salesperson recognizes the problem and immediately hands the fellow a tube of Prussian blue to solve TODAY'S problem? It may become TOMORROW'S problem if the customer gets home and realizes what he really needed for his sky was Cerulean blue but doesn't know a bit of titanium white could solve THAT problem. The one who tried desperately to help is once again the butt of the customer's frustration.

Jan is in retail optical goods. You might ask him if I am not accurate about similar situations in binoculars. :cat:

Bill

STOP THE PRESS. DON'T BELIEVE A WORD BILL SAYS8-P8-P

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back