• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser spotted woodpecker (1 Viewer)

tigertom

Hi all I am new on this forum but would like to know best the place to see LS woodpecker near to Runcorn have been told moore NR I have been bird watching now for well over 30 years on and off but have never seen this bird and is No1 on hit list have missed out twice this year once when fishing when pal called over to ask what a male treecreeper looked like has he had just seen a black and white one ( hes not got a clue about birds only new about treecreepers has I had pointed one out to him the day befor ) it had gone when had got to him and from what he told me I had just missed a LSW the other one I missed was in my garden of all places ( I live close to woodland ) I was at work, girl next door told me she had seen a baby GSW ( I get a few on feeders ) again she only knew what GSW was as I had told her, when asked her about it she said it was a baby as only the size of sparrow and plus a local birder had god a pic of it on my feeder, so LSW no1 target. thanks sorry post being bit long
:cat:MIKE|=)|

As Halftwo says Moore is a good place to see LSW but they can be tricky. Spring (March/Apr) tends to be the best time to see them. Looking for Tit flocks in the Autumn or Winter may increase your chances of finding one before spring. LSW is often top of birders most wanted lists and I wish you well in your quest.

CB

i've had LSW at moore for the last 2 years, last year i turned up late right at the end of april, it took me a full 12 hour search to find one. this year i turned up in may and had one in 90 minutes, so personally i'd give it a miss till next year if you have a distance to travel to get there and you're only after that species.

on the other hand it's a lovely place and if you're pretty close it's worth a mooch at any time.

Yes Moore NR is the place to go, when you reach the reserve from the (across the swing bridge) go half way down the road you will come to a hide on your left now turn right and keep a watchful eye in the woods and you will see it for sure in spring time. Also you will notice many marks left from woodpeckers high up on the tree's these I find are the best places to look..

Your welcome to meet up and I will show you.

Thanks all for info, had look up there last week no LSW but did get a new tick down on mersey littel egret found three on sand bank on far side in with a mix of gulls so trip not wasted only been up there once befor but had good look round this time was not much to be seen in wood on the day I went but will be going more often now ( its only three miles from me ) Thanks again
:cat:MIKE;)

The experts are convincing me I saw a Great Spotted. See thread under ID Q&A. Don't start the car just yet!

I have bee told that there is now a female LSW at Moore and a possible extra male. So wonderful news.

Managed to see the lesser spotted woodpecker at moore today not a great photo but i never thought i would get one in flight

Attachments

• lsp woody.JPG
    lsp woody.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 466
Well done Peter as they are just little mini me's of the GSW.

I would be proud of any photos of a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker anyday

Regards
Kathy
x

Saw a Woodpecker for the first time ever in my back garden this evening, about 7pm, on the bird table where I'd just placed some fat balls. Initial presumption was a Nuthatch, with a dark streak around its eyes, but then I saw the large red cap, and the irregular white and black bars on its back and wings, with a beige/white breast. It was mostly hidden behind a corner of the bird table, from where it would dart out, take a peck of the fat ball, then hide again. Size was similar to a Blackbird. I didn't notice any pinkish hue on the lower body. Was it a Lesser or Middle Spotted Woodpecker?

Thanks for the picture. I don't recall seeing any reddish/pink lower body, but it was 'hiding'. Otherwise I'd say you're spot on. Checked in my AA Birds of Britain & Europe (1998) and the only other difference between what I saw and the book's illustration of the Great Spotted Woodpecker is that the bird I saw definitely had a red cap extending from over its eyes to the back of the head, whereas the book shows a black head with red nape. However, the book does say the juvenile has a red cap, as in your picture, so that fits your identification quite neatly. My wife saw it again this morning, but I missed it. I must keep a camera handy in case it returns. Thanks again for your help. Jim.

Last edited:
Yes Moore NR is the place to go, when you reach the reserve from the (across the swing bridge) go half way down the road you will come to a hide on your left now turn right and keep a watchful eye in the woods and you will see it for sure in spring time. Also you will notice many marks left from woodpeckers high up on the tree's these I find are the best places to look..

Your welcome to meet up and I will show you.

If you follow this info you won`t go far wrong, i`ve had the most luck on sunny days in late feb, early march.

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back