• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

duovid 10-15X (1 Viewer)

I don't believe they ever sold that well, so I'd be surprised if there were any big model updates.
Frankly, I'd have been a lot more interested if they had offered a 5-15x combo. As is, they just did not stretch the performance envelope for the customer.

Hi HW,

A while ago I posted what information I could find about the Duovid’s at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=379071

As etudiant notes they are a low demand/ low production item, so it’s unlikely that there has been significant updates to their hardware in terms of performance
(though as always there could be unknown internal engineering changes, if a change could produce the same performance more easily/ at less cost)

However, they are of course produced to Leica’s usual high standards
And if there has been a performance update, it would most likely be to the coatings and hence the transmission
- the above link includes a graph from a test of a 2010 x42 unit that was conducted by Gijs van Ginkel

John

I think you'd be the only customer for something that only gives 5x and 15x.

I'd love to test that assertion, as I think 5x allows for a very wide FoV, which is what is needed to locate the bird, while the 15x zooms in to get the species specifics. If i'm alone in that space, god bless, we all make mistakes.
That said, I do think the value of zoom in binoculars is the easy transition between wide angle and sharp focus.
Technically, I recognize that a big zoom, say 3x or even 5x, is a huge challenge. Imho it would be a game changer, but it is obviously beyond the current state of the art.

If it were truly a zoom, allowing all settings between 5x and 15x, then it would be spectacularly useful I'm sure. But with only two magnifications it doesn't stand a chance given that even the much more mainstream 7-12x Duovid failed

Last year I phoned a dealer who was terminating their Leica sales, as I was interested in a bargain pair of 10x32 UV+.
I asked what else they had left. They had another 10x32 and also a Duovid 10/15x. I'd never even seen a pair of duovid so asked about them. As the salesperson searched for them, I recall their exact words...
"You won't want those heavy, cumbersome things".

I assume the word cumbersome was used more as a sweeping criticism perhaps to describe the older design.
Anyway it turned out they were not in stock, they only had the two pairs of 10x32 which I bought.

..."You won't want those heavy, cumbersome things".

I assume the word cumbersome was used more as a sweeping criticism perhaps to describe the older design. ........

Some of us weird, strange, binocular fans do have and want.
My 10+15s are one of my favorites

yes
they are too heavy (I use a harness instead of neck strap) but I would not say cumbersome
too expensive --maybe not compared to other prices now,
but
great construction and optics

I was birding along the Gulf Coast at 10x, saw a heron but could not determine which one, switched to 15x and IDed a Reddish Heron
Took them to New Mexico to see an Annular Eclipse of the Sun, with solar filters,
with great images and near perfect framing.

Less combersome than caring two pair, though not the most practical
8+12x42 might be better for most birding

edj

Last edited:
These would be used mostly for hunting, on a tripod. I'm not sure how big of deal the narrower FOV would be for my needs? Are the mechanics of the power "switching" robust and known to be trouble free?

Some of us weird, strange, binocular fans do have and want.
My 10+15s are one of my favorites

yes
they are too heavy (I use a harness instead of neck strap) but I would not say cumbersome
too expensive --maybe not compared to other prices now,
but
great construction and optics

I was birding along the Gulf Coast at 10x, saw a heron but could not determine which one, switched to 15x and IDed a Reddish Heron
Took them to New Mexico to see an Annular Eclipse of the Sun, with solar filters,
with great images and near perfect framing.

Less combersome than caring two pair, though not the most practical
8+12x42 might be better for most birding

edj

Despite the salesperson's unsolicited comment I reckon the duo idea is excellent and have wondered what the reaction would be if Swaro combined their 8/12x NL or their SLC 8/15x . Just daydreaming

These would be used mostly for hunting, on a tripod. I'm not sure how big of deal the narrower FOV would be for my needs? Are the mechanics of the power "switching" robust and known to be trouble free?

Mine appear very well made / finished and have been mechanically impeccable for years.
The only „complaints“ that might come to my mind when comparing the Duovid to more recent premium bincolars are: too heavy, FOV too narrow, and way too much CA.

Canip

Mine appear very well made / finished and have been mechanically impeccable for years.

I've owned both the 8x/12x and the 10x/15x versions, and I think they're excellent. Yes, heavy, but much lighter than carrying two binos. True, not an especially wide field, but a good compromise given their unique capabilities.

Great optics but...

I sold mine last year.The construction is robust and reliable but the trade off is :
-diminished FOV
-cumbersome change 5-15 x : takes time to change!
-heavy
From my experience old fashioned optics right now and would not advicse them anymore

I've owned both the 8x/12x and the 10x/15x versions, and I think they're excellent. Yes, heavy, but much lighter than carrying two binos. True, not an especially wide field, but a good compromise given their unique capabilities.

John,

How would you compare the usage of 8+12 vs 10+15?

edj

John,

How would you compare the usage of 8+12 vs 10+15?

edj

I would say the same way one might compare going into the field with two binoculars - an 8 and a 12 vs. a 10 and a 15: lower powers for shorter distances, higher for longer; lower powers for wider views, higher for greater reach. The 8/12 weighs 1045g, the 10/15 weighs 1250. In my opinion they are both extremely fine instruments.

I would say the same way one might compare going into the field with two binoculars - an 8 and a 12 vs. a 10 and a 15: lower powers for shorter distances, higher for longer; lower powers for wider views, higher for greater reach. The 8/12 weighs 1045g, the 10/15 weighs 1250. In my opinion they are both extremely fine instruments.

thanks,

I have always wondered if I would have been better off with the 8+12, it for more closed in birding and the larger for more open spaces.

re non ED glass,
I have not noticed any/much difference between optics in Duovid and my SW EL or Z FL- all very good and a non issue for me
Weight, cost, FOV are reasons to not buy, but not quality of glass

re power switch
I have never had a problem with this but is is something else that could go wrong

edj

Last edited:
I had many enjoyable years with a 8+12 x 42 pair.
Yes, they were heavy, and I think advances in optical quality are starting to leave them behind these days.
They were robust, and more often than not i'd see extra detail when switching up to 12x.
They worked well on surveys from large ships, I was often alone in seeing Storm Petrels!

Plus they held their value reasonably well when I sold them on.

In the end, I bought Zeiss Pockets, and after comparing side by side, couldn't see any advantage in keeping the Duovids. Zeiss image quality was better and the field of view at 8x pretty much identical. duovid close focus is pretty poor.

too heavy, FOV too narrow, and way too much CA.

I just tried the Duovids 10+15x50 for a day in the field - disregarding the price point, I found the weight high but still accebtable and the FOV small but not too small. Build quality felt great, ergonomics were OK and I liked the dual-maginfication feature.
However, for me, the too small eye relief and the really hefty CAs were the dealbreaker. When wearing my spectacles, I was not able to get the full FOV, and I really cannot remember any bino handling harsh contrasts as badly as the Duovid, the ammount and strength of CAs was absolutely crazy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back