• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

Moors this evening. 50+ Swallow & House Martin, Common Sandpiper, Willow Warbler, noticeable increase in count of chuntering Reed Warbler, Whitethroat North Moors, 4 Common Tern highlights

Today's highlights:

MOORS/N MOORS*
Common Sand (2)---------Dunlin (1). Came in after heavy rain.
Lapwing (4)----------------Oystercatcher (4)
LRP (1)---------------------Common Tern (3)
Shoveler (8)----------------Gadwall (6)
Shelduck (2)---------------Tufted Duck (84)
Little Grebe (6)------------Swift (2)
Kestrel*--------------------Water Rail*
Cetti's Warbler (2) (1)*---Lesser Whitethroat
Willow Warbler (2)--------Garden Warbler. Seen and heard in trees near Lifestyles.
Herring Gull (2ad)

FLASHES/HEN POOL*
Lapwing (8)----------------Avocet (31). Including bird with white ring numbered 64 + metal ring.
LRP (5)---------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Common Sand (2)---------Med Gull (2nd cal year)
Shelduck (2)---------------Shoveler (2)
Teal (m)--------------------Gadwall (m)
Skylark---------------------Cetti's Warbler*
Lesser Whitethroat singing near main hide but could possibly have been the bird heard near the Sailing Centre.

Des.

Arctic Terns at Upton Warren

At around about 4.15 yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my car overlooking the Sailing Pool during a heavy shower. I'd been watching 2 Common Terns in flight, when suddenly 2 more Terns appeared. They seemed different somehow to the Common Terns, with a much cleaner wing pattern and redder bills. I immediately thought "Arctic Terns".

I phoned Des Jennings who was on the reserve or nearabouts and informed him that I had a couple of what I was confident were Arctic Terns. Unfortunately, by the time Des and the Wednesday crew arrived the birds had flown through and only the 2 Common Terns remained. One of the crew did say that they had briefly seen 4 Terns on getting out of the car, but had been unable to positively id them.

There had been 3 Common Terns present at the Moors Pool earlier, which were still there later that evening. I therefore thought that a couple of these might have commuted over to the Sailing Pool. In retrospect I don't think this was right and, having looked through some pictures of Arctic Terns in flight this morning, I am more than ever convinced that these 2 birds were indeed Arctic Terns.

The wings were too clean-cut to be Common Terns and all the primaries appeared to be translucent with a neat distinct bar at the wing tip. The bill on one of the birds that flew straight towards me was blood red in colour. The tail streamers were also longer and less fanned out than on the other 2 Terns. In fact the overall jizz of the birds just screamed out "Arctic Tern". Even the briefness of their stay (between 5 & 10 minutes) would suggest that they were Arctic Terns.

My apologies for the delay in sending this information but I just had to be sure in my own mind that I was making the right call.

As of this FEBRUARY we no longer have FREE FOOD.
This Facility began in 1984 at the FLASHES and was supported by donations and all proceeds from my 1984 Annual Report feeding was only during the winter period. Over the years feeding has become all year round and expanded to three areas. The Flashes feeding stopped about 3 years ago , mostly because of logistical reasons.
The ever presence of sparrowhawk was also affecting the waders.
For at least 25 years we have had the food given to us by a local Pet Food Supplier. Unfortunately that company has now changed hands and that sponsorship has now CEASED!!:-C
Although we are not sure how much it costs to maintain this Facility we estimate that it runs into hundreds of
£££'s. But rather than stop it we will try and cover the cost from the permit money that we receive from the Sailing Centre Cafe. This will obviously impact on the reserve, as all the money is spent on management which includes:- tools, petrol, strimmer servicing and repairs, tree and scrub saplings, all the new hide modifications were funded by permit money. We never go to the Trust for money so we are almost self sustaining.

So therefore we will continue funding the feeding stations and hopefully we will have enough left to maintain the reserve in its current state.

Fortunately we have generous people who visit the reserve and on Saturday I received a kind donation from a regular birder...he wishes to remain anonymous but asked me to make this plea:t:
I therefore would like to ask if anyone wants to make a contribution to the feeding fund then Paul M will gladly appreciate it ..
:t:john

Hi John, Countrywide Stores (Stoke Prior & Upton) are closing down & have a big discounts sale on now, 30-50% I think. So could be a cheaper source of birdfood possibly. I did have a discount card which I left with Paul M I think as well though they may not honour that given the circumstances. Reserves looking superb with all the work! :t:

Hi John, Countrywide Stores (Stoke Prior & Upton) are closing down & have a big discounts sale on now, 30-50% I think. So could be a cheaper source of birdfood possibly. I did have a discount card which I left with Paul M I think as well though they may not honour that given the circumstances. Reserves looking superb with all the work! :t:

Hi Rob.. Thanks for that info ..at present we are getting cost price food from the Trust that has been supplied by Vine House Farm suppliers.
Thanks for the kind words about reserve the Volunteers are doing great work and I know they would appreciate that from you... Hope you are well and see you at the reserve soon. :t:john

Dunlin at the Moors Pool this evening as per Tim O.

6 Common Terns reported during the day.

A third Lapwing chick had been added to the brood at the Flashes as per Phil W.

Tomorrow looks the most promising day for movement of the forthcoming few days with easterly winds and persistent rain - there could be ample reward for anyone who braves the conditions. At the weekend the wind switches around to the North......

enjoyable evening this evening. Sparrowhawk frighten me flying out as I walked around the north moors. spotted my first Swift of the year, DJ pointed out a Dunlin on pool island, plus 3 common terns.

Attachments

• IMG_6524.JPG
    IMG_6524.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6526.JPG
    IMG_6526.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6529.JPG
    IMG_6529.JPG
    621.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6533.JPG
    IMG_6533.JPG
    595.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6541.JPG
    IMG_6541.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 64
First summer Med Gull at the Flashes early morning as per Andy P.

Dunlin at the Moors Pool as per Andy A.

Last edited:
Popped in for a couple of hours or so ystda afternoon after Grimley - quiet but pleasant enough with brighter and less breezier conditions from the morning.
On the Moors causeway there was 4/5 Blackcaps in a Blackthorn thicket all singing loudly and chasing each other at the same time with a bemused male Bullfinch looking on.....Meanwhile over on the Flashes there were Whimbrel, Med Gull and Common Sand - 1 of each.

I overheard a conversation with regard to an entry in the log book over the Gull 'problem' - is there one? Do they predate on eggs and young of other species? Having worked on sites with Gull colonies i can't say i noticed much from BHG's more so from the larger spp particularly with regard to Terns of which the BHG's were added protection. Where else is there much in the way of these away from reserves or the coast these days? I am old enough to remember Worfield Bog and made annual visits specifically to see it. The colony of these marsh gulls has long gone for whatever reason but a number of locals regarded them as a past because there 'was too many of them'! Hardly a scientific appraisal - the Passenger Pigeon was once considered a pest be careful what you wish for.....

A few shots from ystda.

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1797 Apr. 27 07.35.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1797 Apr. 27 07.35.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 49
  • ScreenHunter_1798 Apr. 27 07.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1798 Apr. 27 07.36.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 48
  • ScreenHunter_1799 Apr. 27 07.37.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1799 Apr. 27 07.37.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 47