• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (3 Viewers)

Just narrowly missed Osprey - couldn't get back in time to see from the garden. Damn damn damn.
Still, nice to see though.

Had one this morning .75 mile from home, which really distressed me, until I realised I wouldn’t have been able to have seen it anyway. Nice to know they can get so close though

Mostly inside today but a few upgrades for my ten day garden lockdown list with Wren added, Moorhen upgraded to seen and a Greenfinch finally photographed. Fledged Woodpigeon was a surprise. This evening from the upstairs landing (photo of the view attached) a pair of Shelduck added for the year & a passable picture of the female through the trees:-

47 Shelduck 03 Apr 2020

Garden lockdown list now 42 with 28 photo'd & it includes just one heard now in Common Scoter.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Upstairs Landing.jpg
    Upstairs Landing.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Shelduck 001.JPG
    Shelduck 001.JPG
    573.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Greenfinch 001.JPG
    Greenfinch 001.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Woodpigeon 002.JPG
    Woodpigeon 002.JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 19
  • LTT 006.JPG
    LTT 006.JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 20
A 90min session hanging out of bedroom window till 12.30am to no avail!....and that was with an ear trumpet attached. :-O Even post midnight, rubber on sodding tarmac didn’t help....what’s that about “lockdown?”

Still there’s always tomorrow night.:-C

A 90min session hanging out of bedroom window till 12.30am to no avail!....and that was with an ear trumpet attached. :-O Even post midnight, rubber on sodding tarmac didn’t help....what’s that about “lockdown?”

Still there’s always tomorrow night.:-C

You own an ear trumpet????? 3:)

John

An hour outside last night failed to produce the hoped-for Common Scoters overhead (and no Velvet Underground either) but typical, ten minutes after I gave up two other Leics listeners had them.

Getting my moth trap set up for tonight so at least I can record no scoters and no moths this time.

Nice three hours this morning though. Nothing properly new but Skylark was#44 for my garden lockdown list.

Steve

While I'm indoors instead of staring into the blue:

49. Rook 1 SW - easy enough in the countryside in any direction, not so much in central Farnborough!

Teetering on the brink now, will No. 50 be a garden tick or anticlimactic hitherto lockdown-shy regular?

John

53) Raven.

Was beginning to wonder when that one would fall. Very few obvious expected ones remaining now. Can well see me grinding to a halt once the summer migrants are in.

I’ll be pinning my lug’oles back once more tonight, probably with a glass of something to sharpen the senses! Having read that on the previous night a West London birder had multiple flocks calling going before and after midnight kinda coloured my hopes for “expectation”.

Suffice to say I did actually hear a distant short “cluster” of notes 15mins. into my vigil last night, but then nothing for the next 75 minutes.
Thus assumed unlikely, due to the nature of the “short” call, however speaking to a colleague in Herts/Camb.area who “scored” last night after a 2 hour vigil, which also resulted in just two short distant “cluster” calls for the duration.

I then Xeno Canto’d the 9 sec.French recording, which was no.2.at the start of the recordings and I found that it compared favourably with what I’d heard as opposed to...what I’d expected!

Am wondering how many glasses will do the trick tonight? ;)

A concerted effort earlier produced 31 species of which I photographed 8 - https://ebird.org/checklist/S66619361 - Song Thrush and Canada Goose were lockdown additions and I had two garden year ticks:-

48 Willow Warbler 04 Apr 2020
49 Eurasian Blackcap 04 Apr 2020

Lockdown garden list now 46 - 28 photographed & 1 heard only.

Some nice light today to take a few pics & to sex Starlings by bill base colour - blue for a boy & pink for a girl.

50 seems most likely to be a hirundine so back looking later.....

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Buzzard 004 - Copy.JPG
    Buzzard 004 - Copy.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Goldfinch 005 - Copy.JPG
    Goldfinch 005 - Copy.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 34
  • LTT 004 - Copy.JPG
    LTT 004 - Copy.JPG
    370.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Starling 007 - Copy.JPG
    Starling 007 - Copy.JPG
    479 KB · Views: 37
  • Starling 010 - Copy.JPG
    Starling 010 - Copy.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
April 4th.

A rare afternoon session to try out the eBird app produced two nice additions

57. Sand Martin - five north and two hours later two south
58. Osprey - one hovering over a small lake that I can't see at all, unfortunately.

Osprey was my second garden lifer of the week, following the Curlew on Wednesday - had another today, unseen but doing its wonderful breeding call as it went over.

Not a bad day all in all, 37 species from the garden.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back