• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin Abandoned Eggs (1 Viewer)

WilliamH4

For the 3rd or 4th year, we had an American Robin build a nest and lay her eggs on a ceiling fan on our patio (ceiling fan off and secured so it won't spin in the wind). She's had a few broods each time. She was back this year but has abandoned the eggs. No more traffic through the patio than previously. As a matter of fact, she has never seemed to care that we're near her. What might be the problem and should I remove the abandoned eggs?

Thank you

How long have the eggs been abandoned William? If it is just a day or two, I'd leave them alone. If we're talking a week or longer you might as well remove the eggs.

Perhaps a stray cat on your patio or a Bird or Prey?

How long have the eggs been abandoned William? If it is just a day or two, I'd leave them alone. If we're talking a week or longer you might as well remove the eggs.

Perhaps a stray cat on your patio or a Bird or Prey?

Assuming they're abandoned, I'm not sure how long. Just before leaving for vacation, she laid a couple of eggs. She was sitting on the nest then. We were gone for a week and when we returned, there were/are 4 eggs. We retuned from vacation on 04/28 and haven't seen her since we've been home. We have hawks around, but have had them every year they've been here. I'll wait a few more days, then remove the eggs. Hoping she comes back as we enjoy them being around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back