• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will I need exit pupil of 7mm in a concert? (1 Viewer)

baofeng

Hi, I tried to research on this but cannot find an answer. I love going to night concert and require a binocular. I am going to get a Zen-Ray bino due to the good review on them but I am unsure which one to get, whether should I get a 8X42 or 10X42 or 7X50.

The problem is I am now using my Fujinon 10X70 and feel that the quality is good. The only thing about is the weight. My question is whether I really need a exit pupil of 7X50 for concert purpose? Or do I just need 5.2mm in the case of 8X42 bino since 7mm I suspect is reserved for complete darkness. Or is 4.2mm (in the case of 10X42) sufficient?

No. 8x is also good for concerts. Stages are well lit. Light weight is good for concerts. Maybe a pocket 7x25mm is best.

Thanks for your quick reply Tero. What if sometimes the stage is dimly lit intentionally? Will 4.2mm exit pupil be enough? Or should I get 5.2mm? Actually, I am quite used to my 10x since I am using the 10X70 all along (just that it is quite hard to hand-held)

Unless you are REALLY far away, the TFoV of view of most standard bins is too narrow to take in much of the stage or performance. Even in large stadiums you will normally be less than 200m distance. You need to have something ~8° TFoV or more.

The best bin to take are small-pocket size 3x-8x. I use these Canon 5x17 9° and a Pentax 8x18 7.5° of the same design. The Pentax also has rectangular lenses for a more "stage-like" FOV.

cheers,
Rick

Attachments

• 5x17FC.JPG
    5x17FC.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
It would need to be a really huge stadium and dim light to need much more in brightness. The Zen Ray 7x36 may be attractive for such a use.

I've used my Leica 8 x 20 Trinovid to help me watch concerts and operas at Lincoln Center and other places and at Broadway plays at various theaters in and out of NYC. Dim lighting was never a problem for them, nor FOV. Occasionally you want to focus in on some specific part of the Drama and this is what these little binoculars excel at. I remember focusing in on the hands of a Pianist while he was playing the 3rd Movement of Saint Saen's 5th Piano Concerto. I realized then what a remarkable athletic endeavor it was to play some of these Concert masterpieces!

If I had lugged a 7 x 50 in with me I probably would have been billed for an extra seat!:eek!:;)
Bob

I took my old Swarovski 7x30 SLC to indoor [Bryce Jordan Center] concert and was in the semi nosebleed section and found this binocular excellent for this with 4.2 EP. There were some people sitting close to us and I left them use it and they were thrilled.
Regards,Steve

Only binoholics seem to dote on compacts for concerts. I see apparently normal people all the time using whatever bino they happen to own, 10x50, an old 7x35, just whatever. So I just said to heck with my miserable 8x25 Travelites and started taking a good 8x42 binocular to concerts. Ahhhhhh! Now I can see. But as far as brightness per se, even the 8x25's were enough. I figure if they dim the lights, they want it to look dim, see, no fair using a 7mm exit pupil.
Ron

Maybe that why there hardly any binocular with 7mm exit pupil except for Astro and Marine. From what I read in the forum, I think 4.2mm should be enough. Thanks.

Well, 32mm is my solution to all, so a good 8x32 should be comfortable for a concert. With a 10x50 porro, your arms will get tired after 30 minutes. ;)

Maybe that why there hardly any binocular with 7mm exit pupil except for Astro and Marine. From what I read in the forum, I think 4.2mm should be enough. Thanks.

I agree. 4.2mm exit pupil is sufficient for concert. I will just take my 8/8.5 binoculars with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back