• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Western Algarve June / August 2010 (1 Viewer)

JohnnyH

Aldershot till I die!
Hi all,

I'm considering a family holiday in the Algarve this Summer at a resort called Praia Da Rocha. Does anyone have information regarding birding around the resort pref within walking distance for early morning visits. Also can anyone recommend a guide for the area as I would like to do a day out during the holiday & see local specialities, not having visited Portugal before.

Cheers,

John.

Hi all,

I'm considering a family holiday in the Algarve this Summer at a resort called Praia Da Rocha. Does anyone have information regarding birding around the resort pref within walking distance for early morning visits. Also can anyone recommend a guide for the area as I would like to do a day out during the holiday & see local specialities, not having visited Portugal before.

Cheers,

John.

John, I don't think there are any well known birding sites within walking distance of Praia da Rocha so you might struggle a bit.

Regarding a guide these have a good reputation and certainly know where to find the birds of the Algarve

http://www.jupiterbirding.blogspot.com/

Have a look at their site and contact them if you're interested.

regards

John

Hi,

Your location is quite a way from the Ria Formosa but ideal for Cabo de Sao Vicente for migrants to the west. I would urge you to seriously consider hiring a car. They have never been more than 'cheap' for a small car on all my trips to the Algarve so far. Usually £120ish for two weeks or more. You will appreciate the extra reach it offers as birding in the Algarve takes in the 'Algarve as a whole' as opposed to staying in one spot. If you do so then I suspect you will become addicted like many of us have.

All the best,
Andrew.

Hi all,

Cheers,

John.

John,

I stayed in Praia da Vau, which is the next resort west of Praia da Rocha, in early April 1999. Indeed, the distance between the 2 resorts is such that we could walk between them, despite my family being quite young at the time (13 and 9). There was an open area between the part of Praia da Vau by the sea and the resort where I stayed just a bit inland. Being migration time I saw the likes of woodchat shrike and red-rumped swallow in that open area. Such birds as fan-tailed warbler and little owl lived along the inland edge of where we stayed. Along the rocky coast just west of Praia da Vau was a greater selection of Iberian birds, the highlight for me being a pair of white storks on a sea stack. I saw several "lifers" in that area, such as bee-eater, crested lark and spotless starling.

Just east of Praia da Rocha, which was very high rise, by the way, is the town and estuary of Portimao. Boats run from there along the fine cliffs east, good for a family trip. In the estuary were greenshank and grey plover, on a sea stack just east was a colony of little egrets and cattle egrets, while further east were alpine swifts.

A little bit further west of Praia da Vau is the resort of Alvor, which had a pleasant enough older quarter down by the estuary. There were one or two bars or tascas down there with seats outside and views of the estuary. There is a bird observatory run by A Rocha Foundation at Cruzinha, just across the estuary from Alvor, where I saw my first ever caspian tern. That place is well worth a visit, as are other, more distant, bird sites in the Algarve.

Have a good holiday when the time comes around.

Allen

Thanks for that Allen, just looking for a holiday "local patch" that I can use for early morning walks. Some of the stuff you saw around the resort on your trip would do me just fine.

Thanks again,

John.

Have a look on Googlemaps, that's how I always try and find a local patch before a holiday. Just checked and it depends on your idea of a short walk, the estuary of Ribeira do farelo is about 3 miles west and looks bloody marvellous.

Easily do castro verde via car hire - about an hour from algarve. Great bustards, little bustards, raptors galore, rollers, larks etc. Probably best with a guide but possible if you read bits under vacational trip reports.

Cheers for that Wolfie, I've e-mailed a guide & waiting for a reply. Trip now booked for June, can't wait!

Cheers,

John.

Cheers for that Wolfie, I've e-mailed a guide & waiting for a reply. Trip now booked for June, can't wait!

Cheers,

John.

I did a weekend in June last year, picked up my hire car at Faro airport and followed signs on motorway to Lisbon and was at Castro Verde in an hour and quarter. Had about 50 Griffon Vultures, Short Toed Eagle, Black Shouldered Kite, Montagu's Harriers, Booted Eagle, Little Owl, Roller, Bee-eaters, Red-Rumped Swallows, Spanish Sparrows, and best of all Rufous Tailed Scrub Robin. Also 8 Great Bustards but I couldnt find the resident Littel Bustards or any sandgrouse that are also resident. All in two hours before I drove on accross Spanish border.

Wonderful area ! Enjoy! It is so different to anywhere else along Algarve. Just advise your guide in advance what birds you would like to see.

Just had an e-mail reply from a guide so hopefully on now for a day in the Baixo Alentejo, bring it on!!

John.

Just had an e-mail reply from a guide so hopefully on now for a day in the Baixo Alentejo, bring it on!!

John.

Good choice mate - as i am sure you know Baixo Alentejo is Castro Verde. One and the same. Hope its as rewarding as I portray!

Other areas along coast will be easy to access, but dont possess the magical birds mentioned as far as I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back