• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Countability of Barnacle Goose and Ruddy Shelduck in Germany (1 Viewer)

AdrianB73

Last week, I observed one barnacle goose associating with graylag geese and three ruddy shelducks at a Nature Preserve on the Bodensee Lake in extreme southern Germany near the Swiss border. Are these species considered countable to one's lists? I figure both could potentially occur naturally in the area, especially barnacle goose, but they're probably both escapees.

Down there, the Barnie's likely to be an escape. Plenty of feral, and truly wild wintering, on the North Sea coast, but not in the far south.

Ruddy Shelduck - dubious, but potentially tickable as an established feral population.

Barnacle Geese seen during the summer are most likely escapees (even up here, AFAIK). As Nutcracker said, they winter here in large numbers, but then they're concentrated in northern Germany, e.g. along the lower Elbe.

Barnacle do occasionally reach the Paderborn area, but as said, only in very cold winters as migrants. The Ruddy Shelducks breed in Kreis Paderborn and there are some at the Steinhorster Becken.

Members of the renowned club 300 in Germany do tick and count Ruddy shelduck. It is considered to be naturalised, although you don't always know if a particular bird is an escapee.
However, I would rather not tick the Barnie in the south of Germany.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back