• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190 tripod & new 701RC head (1 Viewer)

marek_walford

I was going to get the Manfrotto 190 with the 128RC head but am now much more keen on the new 701RC head. My question is, are the Manfrotto 190 tripod and the 701RC head up to the job of supporting the Swarovski ATS80HD scope + Coolpix?

If I'm going to spend a small fortune on a lightweight scope I don't want to add loads of weight with a tripod. Money will be too tight to stretch to a carbon fibre tripod. The 190 seems a reasonable compromise between weight and stability.

I had a chance to try out the 701 inside a tent at Rutland fair. It was extremely easy and smooth to follow an imaginary raptor up in the imaginary sky of the inside top of the tent, and I am quite eager to try it out when we get some into Finland. The spring-loading works fine, and you actually had to push on the handle all the way in order to get the Zeiss 85 on it into vertical positions either way - it would not start to fall on its own. So, on the basis of a brief trial, I would definitely recommend the head.

The 190 legs are another matter entirely. They are not stable enough for anytghing more than small scopes at low magnifications - unless you happen to be less than four feet tall, in which case it might be just about adequate. Go for Berlebach ashwood tripods if you can bear their weight, and if you cannot, shell out what it takes and get the Manfrotto 441 carbon fibre or a similar gauge Gitzo. Among aluminum Manfrottos, only the 028 and 475 are stable enough to give you acceptable views at 60x. Gitzo 1320 is also good.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
Among aluminum Manfrottos, only the 028 and 475 are stable enough to give you acceptable views at 60x. Gitzo 1320 is also good.

Difficult for me to justify an expensive tripod when I have no real idea what stability improvement it would provide. I wish they would rate each of these tripods with a stiffness spec... a standard torque applied to the mount with the resulting deflection angle then measured...

I have the Manfrotto 190 tripod and I am determined to get me a more stable tripod for digiscoping (Zeiss 85 & CP4500). The 701RC head seems very promising.

Manfrotto 190pro+701RC+ATS65HD+Coolpix4500

I find the head itself better than all the non fluid heads I have tried so it is a great improvement and allows far faster and more accurate location of birds.

For information my minor gripes are;

1. The scope only fits directly to the tripod sideways (@90degrees to the sliding balance plate of the 701RC head adjustment) so you cannot make use of the nicely designed Swarovski integrated tripod plate for direct fitting.

2. This design feature means you have to use the Manfrotto 200PL quick release plate, with a locating screw, to keep the scope alignment from moving.

3. Using the plate means the scope is only secured to the tripod by the 1/4" screw originally designed for a camera?

4. In my short experience the use of the plate does allow the scope to move and become loose on a long field walk.

5. Even with the balance alignment plate adjusted fully foorward the scope is back-end heavy with the camera attached (this may not be the case with the 80mm scopes as I suspect the heavier front end lens may compensate)?

6. You cannot easily buy the video alignment pins seperately, you have to purchase a new plate or maybe contact manfrotto direct?

To reduce the problem of the scope coming loose from the plate I have made up a 6mm grub screw that I have scewed into one of the spare holes to lock the scope and plate.

Attachments

• scope attached web.jpg
    scope attached web.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 551
  • scope base plate web.jpg
    scope base plate web.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 558
That little grub screw is a good idea. My scope was always coming loose off of the 3 different Manfrotto heads I've owned. Manfrotto makes good heads but I've had a scope come off the quick release once (crash!) and now I'm always afraid it will happen again. Luckily the scope that fell was my trusty bullet-proof Bushnell Spacemaster. My new Swarovski will never be carried in a Manfrotto quick release. I think Really Right Stuff at www.ReallyRightStuff.com makes Arca-Swiss style clamps that are compatable with Manfrotto heads. Not particularly cheap but a superb product.

marek_walford said:
I was going to get the Manfrotto 190 with the 128RC head but am now much more keen on the new 701RC head. My question is, are the Manfrotto 190 tripod and the 701RC head up to the job of supporting the Swarovski ATS80HD scope + Coolpix?

If I'm going to spend a small fortune on a lightweight scope I don't want to add loads of weight with a tripod. Money will be too tight to stretch to a carbon fibre tripod. The 190 seems a reasonable compromise between weight and stability.
I believe Manfrotto make a special plate for the AT/ST 80 that stops the scope moving around on the head.

Blincodave said:
I believe Manfrotto make a special plate for the AT/ST 80 that stops the scope moving around on the head.

I bought one of those but it seemed a bit loose on the tripod head. One of the great things about the new Swav ATS is that it does away with the need for a QR plate on the 128RC head.

Sean

jiminlondon99 said:
2. This design feature means you have to use the Manfrotto 200PL quick release plate, with a locating screw, to keep the scope alignment from moving.

3. Using the plate means the scope is only secured to the tripod by the 1/4" screw originally designed for a camera?

4. In my short experience the use of the plate does allow the scope to move and become loose on a long field walk.

To reduce the problem of the scope coming loose from the plate I have made up a 6mm grub screw that I have scewed into one of the spare holes to lock the scope and plate.

I fully agree that it is more than a bit annoying that the connection tends to become loose. However, there should not be a problem of a scope falling off as long as that alignment screw is used. It's important, however to have a head which has a secondary securing device like on the 128RC model.

I don't think the 1/4" screw should be a problem either.

Question: I can't find the 701RC on the Manfrotto site. Is it the same as the 700RC2?

Robert

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
At any rate, it's a 701 instead a 700, and the 701 is not on the website indicated (with whatever postfix there is).

I have found it now on the Bogen page, but I am not sure what the differences are to the 700 one.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=2616

Robert
Hi Robert

700 RC-2Smooth and constant movements on both axis are assured by a fixed system of fluid cartridges with this new video head.The 700RC2 is a compact and lightweight 2-movement head designed principally to support the latest digital video equipment but also well-suited to still photography cameras with medium and long telephoto lenses.The 700RC2 has a fixed length pan bar with a soft handle and separate locking mechanisms for 360° pan and +90°/-75° tilt. It comes equipped with a quick-release video plate system with VHS pin and secondary safety catch.

701RC-2
This latest head from Manfrotto is ideal for Birdwatching and Digiscoping. The sliding top plate provides the perfect balance.
• Fluid head
• Low profile
• Built in balance spring
• Improved drag control
• Built in spirit level

Both nicked from warehouse express website @ www.warehouseexpress.co.uk

Below Andy Bright's review of 701 RC-2
http://www.digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/manfrotto701RC2.html

I cannot comment on the 700 having never used one. The 701 I use with Leica 77 APO LCE adaptor Contax SL300 RT homemade battery pack mounted on a Manfrotto 443.

The tripod legs and head are new to me (about 2 weeks) but so far has worked well. I have upgraded from Manfrotto 190 BWB and Manfrotto 501 head. Again this all worked well but is about twice the weight I am not going to say anything bad about it because hoping to sell in near future.

Hope this is of help.

Pete

Pete, thanks a lot!

After a look at the indicated link, it becomes clear that the 701 model has got NOTHING to do with the 700 type. The 700 type is a step below the 128, the 701, however, seems to be a step above it. And apparently still below the weight of the 128! (Thanks to synthetic material instead of metal, I presume). The 700 is about 500 grams, the 128 has about 1000grams, and the 701 now weighs in at 800 grams.

If I read the info correctly, there is one major drawback, however, in that there is no secondary safety lock. I would definitely not want to do without this added security when I carry my scope on my shoulder!

Robert

Last edited:
As a Swaro ATS owner, IMO the transverse placement of the plate mount (as Jiminlondon descirbes above) is a major drawback to the 701.

I have just taken delivery of a Manfrotto 443 and the 701RC2 head from warehouse express (great service by the way)
I had no problem attaching my ATS 80 HD, just moved the locking screw from its default position to the in line hole and it all seems very secure.
So far the head is a dream to use.

When I was having some issues about scope shake (at 120x), I tried banging and bending things to see how they reacted. I found the 128RC head to be quite fine, but had to move up to a significantly heavier tripod to solve my problem. When I can get the car close to my viewing site I now carry an 058 tripod, designed for mediaum format cameras. It weighs twice what an 055 does, but has many interesting features and is incredibly stable. With that, the 128RC head is just fine (11 pound load) and wind shake is a thing of the past.

Art Thorn said:
When I was having some issues about scope shake (at 120x), I tried banging and bending things to see how they reacted. I found the 128RC head to be quite fine, but had to move up to a significantly heavier tripod to solve my problem. When I can get the car close to my viewing site I now carry an 058 tripod, designed for mediaum format cameras. It weighs twice what an 055 does, but has many interesting features and is incredibly stable. With that, the 128RC head is just fine (11 pound load) and wind shake is a thing of the past.

Art, I have had an 075 tripod since 1988. It is even larger than the 058. It has a geared centre column, weighs a ton and is incredibly stable. I use it in a photographic studio. It was not meant to be carried around. I have used it for birding though. It is perfect for sea watching from the lookout at Strumble Head when there is a good weather forecast. I take a step ladder and have a perfect view over the heads of all the local watchers who get there before me!

Clive

Wow! Stepladder! Now there's a package to cart around!!! I'm not used to crowds where I go, so haven't had to look for solutions like that. I haven't actually checked how high my 058 gets, but I don't have to raise the centre column to get to eye level. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll have to toss a step ladder in the trunk now, for those birdwatching weekends! What head are you using on your 075?

Art Thorn said:
Wow! Stepladder! Now there's a package to cart around!!! I'm not used to crowds where I go, so haven't had to look for solutions like that. I haven't actually checked how high my 058 gets, but I don't have to raise the centre column to get to eye level. Thanks for the tip, though. I'll have to toss a step ladder in the trunk now, for those birdwatching weekends! What head are you using on your 075?

Been busy birding, so a late reply. I use a 128RC, though I would like to try the 701, but I dont think 200g would make much difference on this tripod!

Clive

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back