• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Call - Russia (1 Viewer)

Hi Andy,
It is in fact a Nutcracker doing one of its less frequently-heard calls, I've had the same experience as you in our local forests but eventually got to see the culprit making this call.
( A spooky coincidence for you, as I was listening to your recording a Nutcracker flew past the window, the third today here (the hazelnuts are ready for picking so Nutcrackers will be a daily sight for the next couple of months!).

Hi Andy,
It is in fact a Nutcracker doing one of its less frequently-heard calls, I've had the same experience as you in our local forests but eventually got to see the culprit making this call.
( A spooky coincidence for you, as I was listening to your recording a Nutcracker flew past the window, the third today here (the hazelnuts are ready for picking so Nutcrackers will be a daily sight for the next couple of months!).

I look forward to August because they descend to lower altitudes here too and are much easier to see than higher up in the forest. Saw my first one in the village for this year last week. A surprising balcony tick a few years ago too before I realised they appear every year. Great birds.

I look forward to August because they descend to lower altitudes here too and are much easier to see than higher up in the forest. Saw my first one in the village for this year last week. A surprising balcony tick a few years ago too before I realised they appear every year. Great birds.

On my patch, I only ever see the birds in one small area, I think they are very scarce here, they are certainly very shy as well.

On my patch, I only ever see the birds in one small area, I think they are very scarce here, they are certainly very shy as well.

I don't see them every day or even close to that often down here in the village in August. They are common at higher altitudes around here though but always a special sight. I hear them much more often than I see them, however.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back