• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you confirm Marsh Warbler song in France ? (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
A friend ask me to identify this song. I replied that I believed it is a Marsh Warbler, but I published to have other opinions and we don't reach a consensus. Would you help me and confirm please ?

Taken in May 2023 not far from Paris.

Thanks !

Hello Valéry,

interesting recording. Tfs!

yes, quite fast and hurried speed and much imitations (including many Common Nightingale phrases and more) gives this bird a Marsh Warbler vibe for me too. But many Marsh Warblers are still more exploding and hurried than this, so - taken location into account - I think its a Melodious Warbler.

The other option I can think of, is a Blackcap. I have heard them appearantly imitating Nightingale (or its style) so good that I had to listen to the bird for long or even see it to be sure of its identity.

No offence you know: for your other question: yes, the thought that an AI bird-identification tool becomes nearly infallible seems at first gruesome (gruselig says google translate) for me too. But some benefits immediately come into my mind:
And yes I agree with you: I dont think they will ever be 100% infallible

I am really in doubt here. I am missing the Acro type song of a Marsh Warbler but they are very variable. And a Melodious Warbler is mostly high speed with a stuttering start. I hear Wood Warbler in background. In the end I think it is a Marsh Warbler.

Last edited:
I don't know, to me it doesn't sound right for Marsh nor Icterine/Melodious Warbler. I do like the idea of it being a Blackcap. Habitat would fit... Certainly not the standard song but sometimes they do all kinds of stuff and imitations. It's a nice pitfall in early spring when an Icterine Warbler is reported only to be proven to be a Blackcap
Thanks. I excluded both Hippolais that I often hear, so my doubt was only with Blackcap. They don't often imitate, but when they do, they show incredible skills. I've no idea how to make it certain though.

Last edited:
Trying to make sense of it using 9 - In your dreams - The Sound Approach as a reference.

I think the 'za-wee' phrases (excerpt No. 2 from 060613.MR.45557.01) are present around 0:23, and the tempo is variable, so... it could be a Marsh Warbler, maybe? Not sure how distinctive the characteristics described above are and whether other species may mimic Marsh Warbler? A similar fragment is again around 0:31, and there's a vaguely similar (but, still, quite Marsh Warbler-like) fragment around 0:38.

(Attached is the original file converted to .wav and the full sonogram.)

Attachments

• Quel pourrait être loiseau qui chante aussi bien en île de France _.wav
    7.4 MB
  • spectrogram_small.jpeg
    spectrogram_small.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 5
  • from 0;23.jpg
    from 0;23.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 5
  • from 0;31.jpg
    from 0;31.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 3
  • from 0;38.jpg
    from 0;38.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Trying to make sense of it using 9 - In your dreams - The Sound Approach as a reference.

I think the 'za-wee' phrases (excerpt No. 2 from 060613.MR.45557.01) are present around 0:23, and the tempo is variable, so... it could be a Marsh Warbler, maybe? Not sure how distinctive the characteristics described above are and whether other species may mimic Marsh Warbler? A similar fragment is again around 0:31, and there's a vaguely similar (but, still, quite Marsh Warbler-like) fragment around 0:38.

(Attached is the original file converted to .wav and the full sonogram.)
Thank you for this analysis.

"Not sure how distinctive the characteristics described above are and whether other species may mimic Marsh Warbler?"

I heard Blackcaps (that breed in my backyard in Belgium) mimic other species in a way that sounded to me indistinguishable from the original : Grasshopper Warbler, Song Thrush, Blackbird calls, etc.

Marsh Warbler is also common in my village. Jérome's recording is not "spot on" Marsh W. for me, although it is the first species I thought about. Melodious Warbler is common over there, while Marsh is quite rare. Jérome is an experience birder and guide in the area and I think he never found any Marsh Warbler since years. Therefore, we would like to be sure...

Reading replies here, in the comments below the video in Youtube as well as in Facebook, I can see no one finds it obvious or certain. Certainly an interesting case but I'm not convinced we will reach a solid conclusion.

Last edited:
Having been through the same experience and in the end finding a Blackcap at the end of a Marsh Warbler-like song, I would err towards Blackcap.

I'm very glad you commented my thread, Brian. I thought Marsh but a "little inside voice" told my to worry about a Blackcap. As I said earlier, I've heard incredible imitations it is able to do. However, I never had a case of an imitation sounding like a Marsh Warbler personally. The links you provided are really convincing. Thanks.

I forwarded your youtube link to Arjan Dwarshuis and he is also thinking it is a Marsh Warbler. Maybe forward it to renowned audio bird geek Arnoud van den Berg, researcher from Sound Approach.
By the way, I created the Moroccan Rare Bird Committee in 1995 and later one, around 2000, we invited Arnoud van den Berg to become a member. I thus know him but didn't think to submit the song. As I resigned from the MRBC around 2005, I'm no longer in contact with him and I'm not sure where to find his email. In case you have got it, can you send it to me ?

Very weird, but very much more like a blackcap than is the OP's recording - which (again) is chock full of repeated phrases - which regular blackcaps and these marsh-warbler-mimic blackcaps just don't do.
If you had my experience of Marsh Warbler, you would immediately hear that something is wrong. Sounds like one indeed, but with a but... in opposite, there's nothing against Blackcap, so the conclusion is "very probable Blackcap", although we will never prove it. Blackcap is abundant there, (Melodious W. is common) but Marsh W. (as well as Icterine W.) is rare. Excellent imitations from Blackcap is therefore the most likely. In this type of cases, you'll never find records with identical songs. Brian's links show that Blackcap is able to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back