• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little bird from Mongolia, Gobi desert (1 Viewer)

Riqui

Riqui
This little bird was running by itself in the middle of nowhere (North Gobi desert in South Mongolia). I took the pic from the car and I could not see any adult bird around. It looks to me a kind of plover. Is it possible to ID this tiny bird?

Attachments

• 312 Desierto del Gobi - Mongolia 2015.jpg
    312 Desierto del Gobi - Mongolia 2015.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 88
structure and downy plumage is that of a Charadrius indeed. i think on range it can only be alexandrinus or leschenaultii but on habitat and strong bill i think we can deduce it is a Greater Sand Plover, Ch. leschenaultii. could you tell us, please, where exactly or about where you saw this bird and if there was a salt lake around? or any fresh water? even a dried out creek? southern mogolia or northern gobi is an area that spans over 1000 km! edit: i think we have to take in account oriental plover, too, which on first sight on the range map didn't occure in the region but it does. again, where about was the photo taken?

Last edited:
Hi Lou
I was traveling by myself in Mongolia and it is difficult to say exactely where I was. I was traveling from the large dunes in Gobi Gurvan Saikhan (the dunes are a tutistic point and they are called Khongor sand dunes) to a lake that is popular for birders (Orog lake). I had passed a village call Bogd. The altitude was around 2000 meters, no water aorund for several hours but there were dried creeks coming down from the mountais.
The day before I saw alexandrinus in the water close to the dunes, and one day before leschenaultii in a drier area

the maps of birdlife international show the place you mentioned for both leschenaultii and veredus as within their breeding range. on habitat i think leschenaultii is more likely. alexandrinus seems to breed a bit more to the south but range maps in those areas surely are not very exact. on bill i think it is not an alexandrinus chick. i haven't found pics of veredus downy young on the net and i guess the most probable still is leschenaultii. edit: ahh - mark's jumped in. he's more familiar with those areas. as for fresh water: tuin river looks to be not far away and orog lake surely also supports more suitable habitat for their postbreeding movements.

Last edited:
Lou as you say the range maps are not exact at all. I saw many birds that were not supposed to be there attending to the maps. I agree with all of you that leschenaultii is the best option. Thanks a lot for the help.
Riqui

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back