• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (2 Viewers)

I have been birding for well over 50 years now and one of the advantages of this is that you get to witness strange and rare occurrences, like the year 2000 in the UK when over 1,000 Honey Buzzard were seen that autumn.
Normally there are just a handful per annum so this was an unprecedented event.
There are also irruptions like the Nutcracker invasion in the 1960’s.
It is therefore no surprise to me when something like this large number of Black kites arrive, it is just one of those things that occurs rarely.
There have been many such like experiences over the years and they are always met with incredulity.
It’s an exciting event, I just wish I was witnessing it but I do hope others are able to enjoy the show while it lasts, it may not happen again for a long time!
Mike

I have been birding for well over 50 years now and one of the advantages of this is that you get to witness strange and rare occurrences, like the year 2000 in the UK when over 1,000 Honey Buzzard were seen that autumn.
Normally there are just a handful per annum so this was an unprecedented event.
There are also irruptions like the Nutcracker invasion in the 1960’s.
It is therefore no surprise to me when something like this large number of Black kites arrive, it is just one of those things that occurs rarely.
There have been many such like experiences over the years and they are always met with incredulity.
It’s an exciting event, I just wish I was witnessing it but I do hope others are able to enjoy the show while it lasts, it may not happen again for a long time!
Mike

It is indeed an amazing time of year, spring birding is definitely the thing I’ve missed most since I moved to Australia, so it’s fantastic to be able to experience it this year (I’d just prefer under better circumstance!). I’m sure others will see this group of Kites, at least 40 have gone over so far today as well (presumably the large flock roosted nearby). Also lots of Bee-eaters over this morning, perhaps 80 so far. It’s surely the Honey Buzzard day today! I was 3 years old for the 2000 Honey Buzzard autumn, it would be nice to have a spring like that over the house this year!

Hi Gregor.
A flock of over 75 Black Kite was seen this morning near you so they obviously roosted nearby.
Also lots of Bee-eaters being seen.
Good luck for today, there is no wind nor clouds in the south-east, so as predicted, I think I will miss out.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Gregor.
A flock of over 75 Black Kite were seen this morning near you so they obviously roosted nearby.
Also lots of Bee-eaters being seen.
Good luck for today, there is no wind nor clouds in the south-east, so as predicted, I think I will miss out.
Mike

Thanks Mike, good luck for today too, you never know what can happen, even in poor conditions!

The Booted Eagles and Red Kites have been very active this morning, and also a Black Vulture and Bonelli’s Eagle so far. A handful of Willow Warblers are still in the garden as well and a Tree Pipit flew over. I’m absolutely dreading the end of spring migration!

Seeing lots of Dolphins this morning with a nearby feeding frenzy of Scopoli’s shearwaters was some compensation for not seeing any raptor action.
Mike

It is indeed an amazing time of year, spring birding is definitely the thing I’ve missed most since I moved to Australia, so it’s fantastic to be able to experience it this year (I’d just prefer under better circumstance!).

Yes, in April/mai and Setember/october majorca is wonderful place for birding (because you can see almost everybird everyplace), this is because we have hundred of birders visiting us these weeks, and because we have one group GORA specialized in migration, during 10-12 weeks at Formentor in spring and Cap Salines in the autumm.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks Pep.
It’s brilliant to be part of it all with the locals and visitors alike.
I will get my revenge in the autumn when Cap de Ses Salines is the best place to be and is only 25 minutes from my house.
I went nearly every day last autumn.
Mind you, it doesn’t do a lot for marital harmony but I’m very lucky to have such an understanding wife. I do push it a bit sometimes though.
Mike

Biel has just seen and photographed a stunning Roller at his house near Inca.
I do not publish photos without permission but it is a real beauty.
Mike

Biel has just seen and photographed a stunning Roller at his house near Inca.
I do not publish photos without permission but it is a real beauty.
Mike

These are some pictures from Biel, in his house outside Inca, done with the Iphone on the Scope. A beutiful bird

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-04-28 at 14.49.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-28 at 14.49.33.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 60
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-04-28 at 12.59.56.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-04-28 at 12.59.56.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 22-8TH-15TH APRIL 2011
BEACH BIRDS
Again from BHX this year with Monarch, and an outward flight enlivened by the presence of two interesting groups- a hen party and a group of Rugby players. Interaction was noticed! We had our favourite rooms again up on the 8th floor, and in the evening i found the Scops Owls in the nest site area and was able to show some of the students from the Leicester Uni field course who were again at the hotel. On the Saturday a surprise world tick with a Squacco Heron on the rocks offshore from the beach, and then a stroll along the Boquer with the Balearic Warblers calling but not visible, and being disturbed by a large party of German schoolkids. On the way back a group of Bee-eaters made up for the Warbler dip by being both audible and for once visible near the finca.
Sunday deviated from our normal routine as my mother-in -law was ill with an ear infection so a trip to the farmacia was needed and fortunately the one on the Sunday rota was the one on the seafront near the hotel. The Scops were showing well on the wires and trees at the back of the Pollentia in the evening, and later that month they starred in the updated DVD by Dave Gosney which was a useful Christmas present 9 months on.
First Mondays had become our Albufereta days, and we enjoyed the peaceful ambience in beautiful weather, with a Great White Egret and a fishing masterclass from an Osprey being the highlights. Tuesday was alocal beach day as Grandma was still recovering, and the main bird interest was at night when during a walk along the seafront a familiar nocturnal call was coming from the sandy beach, and after adjusting my eyes I found myself about 10 metres from a Stone Curlew- the closest I have ever been.
Wednesday had equally become family to Albufera on the bus day, and a nice selection of birds and Marbled Teal, Common and Whiskered Terns as highlights.
On Thursday the lady came with our car- another Zafira, and off we went to La Granja- an old manor house in the Tramuntana foothills north of Palma- expensive for a family but worth going to as it has a nature walk in the grounds, with Red Kite, Nightingales and Firecrests fairly common. The doughnuts are also special!
Friday was also a tradition- via the Depuradora to a village in the central plain- this time Maria de la Salut for orange juice, and then to Son Baulo at the southern end of Can Picafort so we could walk into Son Real, but this year it was very busy being Good Friday and the birds were keeping a low profile......

These are some pictures from Biel, in his house outside Inca, done with the Iphone on the Scope. A beutiful bird

What a fantastic view you must have had of it! And what a dream garden bird!

Yesterday afternoon was quieter than I’d expected, but a handful of Black Kites trickled through until 2pm (about 12 between 10am and 2pm). Also a Marsh Harrier, a Peregrine, lots more Bee-eaters, three Sand Martins and probably at least 30 Pallid Swifts overhead, the light was perfect for separating them from Common. A Common Redstart in the garden was a great treat.

There’s been a really nice fall of migrants in the garden this morning. At dawn, a Golden Oriole and my first Chiffchaff since the winter birds left about 3 weeks ago were calling. Around 10 Willow Warblers, two Pied Flycatchers and a Cuckoo were also seen, and while watching the Cuckoo, a male Moltoni’s Warbler appeared! I’ll be keeping an eye on this to see if it stays for the summer.

Very quiet overhead, Booted Eagle and Red Kite the only raptors so far, along with a group of 12 Bee-eaters and a handful of Pallid Swifts. I also saw my first Thekla’s Larks of the lockdown, they’re easy to find nearby but it was a surprise to see two land briefly on the hill adjacent to the house today. Let’s see what the afternoon brings!

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 22-8TH-15TH APRIL 2011
BEACH BIRDS

Hi Hugh
Having checked my notebooks, we overlapped by just two days as I was on Mallorca from 13 April – 4 May 2011, so I thought I would post a report.
Arrived to a wet and windy Palma. This year, rather than getting a hire car I was picked up from the airport by one of the group and taken straight to s’Albufera, my home for the trip. Had Raven, Corn Bunting, Swift and Cattle Egret on the journey north. The course leader was in a meeting when I arrived at Sa Roca so I went round the hides with two of the group leaders (we were running a wetland monitoring course). Lots of Swallow, Swift, House and Sand Martins plus all the usual suspects were there including Marbled Duck, also plenty of waders (Redshank, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Green and Common Sand., Kentish and Ringed Plover – as well as Garganey). On the side of the path to Bishop II I discovered a Cetti’s warbler nest. A stunning construction containing three chestnut brown eggs. Unfortunately, it was deserted. Back at Sa Roca had the first of many Nightingale, a female Pied Flycatcher and Spotted Flycatcher. In the field opposite reception there were White and Yellow Wagtails and from the CIM hide overlooking the pool, Little Stint, 3 Ospreys, 2 Marsh Harrier, Purple Heron, Peregrine and Audouin’s Gull.
After going through the moth trap the next morning I revisited CIM hide where there were 3m and 1f Garganey, 3 Marbled Teal, Osprey and Marsh Harrier. Sunday was quite stormy and from Bishop I I saw my first ever water spout above the hills beyond Puerto Pollensa. Quite impressive! On the Monday I picked up a Red-rumped Swallow, plus Little Bittern, Blackcap, Night Heron. Later that day I managed a quick trip out, so went to La Gola where I added Chiffchaff, Serin and Crossbill. Out in the bay there were 5 Sandwich Tern sitting on the line of rocks.
On Wednesday 18 April several of us left s’Albufera to spend some days moth trapping on Cabrera – until 24 April. It was quite an eventful trip over to the island and rather choppy, so I arrived soaked. We managed to fit in some birding and on a quick tour of the island in one of the official vehicles we saw several Eleanora’s Falcons, lots of Common Redstart, Willow Warbler, Blue Rock Thrush, Osprey, Black Kite, Kestrel, Linnet, Black-eared Wheatear, Yellow Wagtails, Hoopoe, Nightingale, Wheatear, Woodchat Shrike, Stone Curlew, Yellow-legged and Audouin’s Gulls, Swallow, Chiffchaff, Greenfinch, Red-legged Partridge, Olivaceous Warbler, Sardinian Warbler and Swift. On other days we added Common Sand., Raven, Whinchat, Shag, House Sparrow, Sub-alpine Warbler, Bee-eater, Robin, a male Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Short-toed Lark, Ospreys, 1f Bluethroat, Tawny Pipit, Turtle Dove, Whiskered Tern, Tree Pipit. All the days there were quite windy, which meant the birds were quite hard to see. Our boat arrived for the return journey. It was an inflatable with central seating but no cover – and it was quite choppy, but we did get nice close views of both Cory’s and Balearic Shearwaters.
Back at s’Albufera we added Shelduck, Curlew Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Snipe. During the moth trapping session on the first night back I added Barn Owl, which was sitting in a White Poplar tree illuminated by the mv lamp. The following day added 4 Wood Sandpiper, Oystercatcher. A trip to the Depuradora added Black-necked Grebe, Great Reed Warbler, Squacco Heron, Stonechat, Common Waxbill, Fan-tailed Warbler, Great White Egret, Red-crested Pochard, Temminck’s Stint, Grey Plover. The following day added Sedge Warbler, 2 Gull-Billed Tern, Water Rail, Hoopoe. On Friday 27 April there were 20 Wood Sandpiper at Bishop I, a Booted Eagle flying over, & Temminck’s Stint, 3 Common Tern and the first Black-winged Stilt chicks. That evening I left s’Albufera to spend one night moth trapping at Binifaldó, up in the Tramuntana. It turned out to be a good session as it was warm and humid overnight.
Returning to s’Albufera on Saturday afternoon I had just enough time to do a quick tour round the hides, adding 2 distant Griffon Vulture, Wryneck, 2 Spoonbill, one summer plumage Sanderling (and 19 Curlew Sandpipers). On Sunday morning there was little in the moth trap so I got out to the hides early. At Bishop I I was greeted with a flock of 28 Spotted Redshank, 2 Little Stint, 2 Marbled duck, 23 Curlew Sand. However, once again I missed out on the big one as our group leader had a Great Snipe from Bishop II later in the day. I’ve missed several during my trips, so it’s one of my bogey birds. Monday 1 May added 4 Avocet to the list. On Wed 2 May I decided to go out to the hides before the reserve opened to the public and discovered Bishop I full of photographers. Several visits during the day revealed that they had spent the entire day there!

Last edited:
Thanks Martin- I have never managed to get to Cabrera, which judging by your list is a great pity, and you are right about photographers blocking off hides- Bishop 1 and 2 in particular have never really been quite big enough, but I would imagine that extending them would be a big undertaking given the ditches between them and the path. My wife and I actually had a provisional booking at the Pollensa Park for this current fortnight but of course are pretty locked down at present, although a Curlew Sandpiper was a good spring bird on my exercise walk on Monday, and I trapped the earliest ever May Highflyer for Northants on Sunday- at least the garden moth trap is still allowed. Also noted your name in the credits for Atlas of the Larger Moths of Britain and Ireland which is an excellent publication- all the best- Hugh

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 23-16TH-22ND APRIL 2011
LA GOLA OPEN
Saturday was our last day with a car so another visit to the central plain saw us at the convent of NS de Bonany near Petra, and as is usual with the hilltop monasteries/convents a superb view of the island was obtained. We drove to Porto Colom, and had our lunch by the harbour, and then to s'Algar bay where both Shearwaters were showing well, but as usual no Balearic Warblers. In the evening the Scops Owls were showing well again. Sunday to church and the Boquer, where I met a group from the RSPB High Peak who were staying at our hotel, and that evening they too were able to witness the Scops going in and out of the nest site.
Monday was time for the family visit to the Boquer, and this time the Balearic warblers actually showed for a brief while, whilst both Black and Griffon Vultures drifted along above the valley. Tuesday was my individual visit to Albufera, and Great Reed and Moustached Warblers showed well, a Reed Bunting of the declining local race was by the mound, and some Collared Pratincoles flew in later.
Richard Strutt was still leading his walks, and so on Wednesday onto the coach to Ses Barques ( the viewpoint above Soller with the roadside cabin which does freshly squeezed orange juice ). We went down at first into the Balitx valley where there were more Black Vultures, and then to lunch at the finca of a well known artist called Senor Falco. Then steeply up to the Col de Biniamar, and eventually down again to the Cala Tuent where the coach picked us up and the driver earned his money as he got us round the many haipins safely on the way back to PP. Thursday 21st was very windy and cloudy, but at last the visitor centre at La Gola was open and we could look inside the mysterious hut and see the educational material within. On a windy but warm evening we said goodbye to the Scops Owls ( this was perhaps their most reliable year yet), and on the Friday we returned to BHX and a frightening taxi driver in a minibus who refused to help with any of our luggage, and drove at about 85 mph without a seatbelt on- the only really bad experience we have ever had with the company we used.

6 Black Kites over before 8am today, along with a Tree Pipit and two groups of Bee-eaters. Also Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler still in the garden. Some amazing figures from the Straits of Gibraltar, let’s hope that the wind conditions bring a fraction of that to Mallorca!

Thanks Gregor,
The winds are quite high still in the Straits and are blowing this way so I am hopeful that more migrants will be blown this way.
A very nice report Martin, that was a good read and some great birds were around to greet you.
It looks like we will be able to take a walk as from this Saturday.
Only locally though and we still can’t drive anywhere so I have already planned a scoot round Mondragó to find so many birds that I have yet so see.
I just hope they will still be around, it’s due to get very hot soon which won’t help but I will give it my best.
We will have a time slot, laughably called “time for the elderly”. How that hurts.
When birds are around, we run round like teenagers.
It will be a rather weird experience, we have not been out in seven weeks.
Mike

I hope you get to see some birds on Saturday Mike! I’m looking forward to exploring the fields between Es Capdella and Peguera which were great for migrants last year. I can’t believe it’s been 7 weeks, thank goodness we have birds to keep us sane.

Still plenty of migrants today, probably 7 or 8 Willow Warblers, a Whitethroat and my ninth (!!) species of Warbler in the garden since lockdown started, Garden Warbler! I had no anticipation of the garden being such a magnet for migrants when lockdown started but almost every day a new bird has provided a fantastic surprise.

Also fantastic to see Long-tailed Tit for the first this year, we were blessed with regular visits by them in August last year. I can’t wait to see what’s next!

I'm not sure if this photo counts as a record shot for the Long-tailed Tit ;)

Attachments

• 3004ltt.jpg
    3004ltt.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 3004blackkite.jpg
    3004blackkite.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Hi Gregor.
Your list of birds seems never-ending.
Long-tailed tits are pretty scarce in Mallorca.
I will have to pop over your way in the summer as I would like to add it to my year list.
One over-wintered in the communal gardens here in 2003 and I thought it must be common. Little did I know just how rare that was in the south-east.
Nothing happening here today, in fact I have only had a couple of good days since Lockdown. They were quite spectacular days though with strong easterlies. Lots of Herons, Egrets and some possible but very distant Storks.
It just goes to prove that wind direction is critical on this small Island.
The winds today are very much in your favour.
Enjoy.
Mike

Just going through some photos I took earlier in the week, and thanks to the ID forum it seems I had a Sub-Alpine Warbler in the gardens here, possibly Moltoni’s.
As that is a garden first, it is a bit of a surprise.
Mike

It looks like we will be able to take a walk as from this Saturday.
Only locally though and we still can’t drive anywhere so I have already planned a scoot round Mondragó to find so many birds that I have yet so see.

Mike

Hadn’t realised things had been that strict for you. Presumably you were allowed to go for food ? But not by car ? That would be impossible for many here.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back