• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding sites in/around Durham (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I've a couple of hours free tomorrow morning in Durham.

Can anyone please recommend any local birding spots please - near city centre would be best

There's no sites info on the Durham Bird Club website unfortunately...

thanks

I've a couple of hours free tomorrow morning in Durham.

Can anyone please recommend any local birding spots please - near city centre would be best

There's no sites info on the Durham Bird Club website unfortunately...

thanks

Pioneer the central parks, they generally attract bits and pieces.

Cheers

Excellent... in that case, I'd recommend Brasside Pond

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.8016686,-1.5531713,1478m/data=!3m1!1e3

Access along the track immediately west of Frankland prison - park by the kennels and follow the path round the lake.

There should be a reasonable variety of waterfowl on the lake, good chance of water rail, and it's as good as anywhere for willow tit, tree sparrow, and other woodland/farmland species. Take wellies or at least a pair of shoes that you don't mind getting a bit of mud on! Should take you a couple of hours to get there and back and walk around the lake.

Here's what I saw last time I was there:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S41344319

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back