• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A rank beginner in New York, New York (1 Viewer)

Hello,

Today, I found some bird watchers intently looking at a bird, it was a western fox sparrow, a true rarity in these parts. Another treat was a magnolia warbler. I may have spotted a redwinged blackbird, wich has become uncommon around the Lake, but I am not certain.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hi Arthur western fox sparrow whould have liked to seen that back home from our trip we ended up with 21 sp Warblers and 4 Vireos including 2 new for the list Cape May Warbler 1 on the east side of the Great Lawn and another around the Oven and Captains Chair area of the Ramble and a Wilson's Warbler on the Point the boat house side . But the star bird of the trip for us was a Male Ruby-throated Hummingbird in the Tulip tree at the captains chair didnt manage to get a photo of the hummer but check out the photo's on our web site we are in the process of going through them and adding more as we go

Another great trip to New York
Good Birding
Dave

Lifer

Hello,

Rain and personal obligations have kept me away from the Park. Recently, I have seen a swamp sparrow, a blackpoll warbler but today, I added a lifer, which has eluded me, for a long time. However, there are very few birds as lovely as a scarlet tananger. For years, every spring someone tells me that there was one around, "a few minutes, ago," but it was worth the wait.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :t:

I cannot believe that it has been two months, since I last posted. It has been a very hot summer in New York and other commitments have kept me busy.
Two Sundays, ago, I visited the Park but saw nothing examplary. However, at the North Lobe of the Lake, I did spot a northern waterthrush. Birding Bob had mentioned there was one around, as we stood on Oak Bridge. Knowing their habits, I just waited and sure enough it poked out from behind some obstruction. At the Lake, they always turn up, again. In this case it was very shortly. A few minutes later, at Triplets Bridge, over the natural stream that feeds the lake, I saw a Louisana watherthrush.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Hello all,

I was out again, in Central Park. Aside from the common birds, I saw a black capped chickadee and a black and white warbler well hidden in the underbrush. Just before I left the Park, from Triplets Bridge, I saw a northern waterthrush work the shore of the rill. I might have seen my first white throated sparrow of the season. To be sure, grackles, northern flickers, gray catbirds and even a brown thrasher crossed my path, today.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Arthur

Just a message to thank you for the continued updates to this thread. I am fancying visiting NYC in either May or Sept....not to sure which as yet. Chose my hotel though!

It maybe 2011/12 I manage my trip but I am really excited about visiting. And believe me so is my wife!

Like I say thanks very much for the updates and the links to the birds you see.

Arthur

Just a message to thank you for the continued updates to this thread. I am fancying visiting NYC in either May or Sept....not to sure which as yet. Chose my hotel though!

It maybe 2011/12 I manage my trip but I am really excited about visiting. And believe me so is my wife!

Like I say thanks very much for the updates and the links to the birds you see.

Hello Sleeper,

You are quite welcome and I appreciate the comments.

Yesterday, autumn arrived in the City, as the temperature never reached 20ºC and today's predawn temperature is 11º. If I should get out and around, I may see some different species.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Hi sleeper,
There is an excellent site
http://nycbirdreport.com/index.html
It was compiled as a labor of love by Mike Freeman, summarizing what birds were seen when for the major birding sites in the city during the years 2003-2007.
You can use it to decide whether your birding might be more fruitful in May or September, as well as to plan your itineraries.

Hi sleeper,
There is an excellent site
http://nycbirdreport.com/index.html
It was compiled as a labor of love by Mike Freeman, summarizing what birds were seen when for the major birding sites in the city during the years 2003-2007.
You can use it to decide whether your birding might be more fruitful in May or September, as well as to plan your itineraries.

Hi
Thanks so much for posting this list. I was not aware of this and is exactly what I needed.

I get a real rush of excitement when I think of what NYC has to offer on several fronts.

Thanks for this once again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back