• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (4 Viewers)

We think we heard the calls at c 23:00pm here in Clevedon and then again c 23:30pm. I listened to the night flight calls on both the Collins App and Xeno Canto beforehand. I haven't tried to listen at night before, for Common Scoter, but what was heard sounded the same as both the App and Xeno Canto, but I couldn't see anything in flight. Also heard a Carrion Crow too.

Various efforts today - from the upstairs window this morning, working from garden, the upstairs window again & listening in the garden tonight produced 26 species including the flyaround drake Mandarin again but best were three year ticks including a full fledged garden tick:-

44 Lapwing - single mobbing Carrion Crow over the farmland 02 April 2020
45 Grey Heron - adult on the rhine next to my house GB-ENG 02 April 2020
46 Common Scoter - two flocks from the garden this evening - 02 April 2020

Enjoying all the pics so a selection of my own today.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Grey Heron 001.JPG
    Grey Heron 001.JPG
    809.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Dunnock 002.JPG
    Dunnock 002.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 23
  • Goldfinch 002.JPG
    Goldfinch 002.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Jackdaw 003.JPG
    Jackdaw 003.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Starling 001.JPG
    Starling 001.JPG
    781.4 KB · Views: 31
Various efforts today - from the upstairs window this morning, working from garden, the upstairs window again & listening in the garden tonight produced 26 species including the flyaround drake Mandarin again but best were three year ticks including a full fledged garden tick:-

44 Lapwing - single mobbing Carrion Crow over the farmland 02 April 2020
45 Grey Heron - adult on the rhine next to my house GB-ENG 02 April 2020
46 Common Scoter - two flocks from the garden this evening - 02 April 2020

Enjoying all the pics so a selection of my own today.

All the best

Paul

That's a lovely picture of the Grey Heron, Paul and congratulations on the Garden Tick , too B :)

I will swap you your rhine for some of the multiple rooves, brick and windows here, lol ! ;)

Best regards, Carol

We think we heard the calls at c 23:00pm here in Clevedon and then again c 23:30pm. I listened to the night flight calls on both the Collins App and Xeno Canto beforehand. I haven't tried to listen at night before, for Common Scoter, but what was heard sounded the same as both the App and Xeno Canto, but I couldn't see anything in flight. Also heard a Carrion Crow too.

If you nailed the call - and it's clear from what you write that you did - stick Common Scoter on your garden list. I have a number of heard records of passage waders at night from previous years and I'm hoping to get some more this year. Don't worry about not actually seeing the birds - all your senses are equally valid, though you may have some trouble convincing anyone you smelled a Woodcock. :t:

John

Flyover (heard only calls) are perfectly valid as ticks to your garden list Carol....and I shall be straining my “lugholes” hereafter for those Scoter! :-C

#43 for the year was a flyover Eurasian Hobby.

It was also a life yard tick: #53

Well done on your New Lifer, Seth. :t:

I have enjoyed reading your list from Bangladesh and your blog. Your list has brought back fond memories of trips to Sri Lanka , India and Nepal, for me , so I added my avatar after reading your list.

The photographs on your blog are excellent too. Thank you for sharing them and your list. I look forward to reading your next instalments :t:

Best regards and stay safe, Carol

Flyover (heard only calls) are perfectly valid as ticks to your garden list Carol....and I shall be straining my “lugholes” hereafter for those Scoter! :-C

I really hope that you get to hear them too, Ken . Have you heard them before over your garden ?

Having wandered around the house, yesterday, many times trying different vantage points , I have now found that if I stand side on, with bathroom window about half ajar , in 1 specific spot only, that I can see a part of both a hanging feeder and a tray feeder in one of the gardens of the many neighbours' houses behind.

After staring at this spot for about 20 minutes around 19:30pm yesterday I got another addition to my garden list :

15) Great Tit- feeding

16) Common Scoter - heard at c 23:00pm and c 23:30pm.

Stay safe everyone.

Best regards, Carol

Last edited:
I really hope that you get to hear them too, Ken . Have you heard them before over your garden ?

....No Carol, never heard Common Scoter before (anywhere) :eek!:

Various waders at night passing over, however my best heard only tick was putting some trash into the dustbin one sultry June evening c midnight, when I heard clear calls of Quail repeated several times going NEast. Fast forward a year later and I found in the local bird report, that another contributor also had flyover Quail on the same time date c8 miles further North!

Cheers

Front and back views at Dixon Towers.

Back view is looking North from the bathroom window, which, particularly bearing in mind that is a primary school playing field beyond the brook, is NOT my vantage point, but provides a good view of the habitats that contribute to the birdlife. Most of my birding is from the back garden.

Front view looks South: this is where the foxes are fed each evening. Nearest camera is the burgeoning bed of red valerian that I hope is going to bring me a bunch of butterflies and moths this summer.

John

Attachments

• Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    503.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 39
The past week has been a mixed bag, quiet periods then good seawatching that reaped a record count of 184 Fulmars and a nice male Goosander and then a bit of Nocmig. Rooks and Red-egged Partridge have started using the garden feeders, two species long overdue for the year and Marsh Harriers have started migrating past the house.

The best was saved to last, on the night of the 1st April I sat outside hoping to catch up with the scoter movement but instead managed to hear Moorhen, Coot (neither breed on my patch and never seen Coot on it), the resident Tawny Owl and a Little Grebe, number 199 for the house! Hopefully 200 will fall during the lock down...

102 Goosander
103 Egyptian Goose
104 Rook
105 Red-legged Partridge
106 Common Redshank
107 Eurasian Marsh-Harrier
108 Little Grebe
109 Eurasian Moorhen
110 Eurasian Coot
111 Tawny Owl

Just narrowly missed Osprey - couldn't get back in time to see from the garden. Damn damn damn.
Still, nice to see though.

Just narrowly missed Osprey - couldn't get back in time to see from the garden. Damn damn damn.
Still, nice to see though.

Bad luck H, had a similar experience this morning on the way back from buying bread in the village, a nice Wryneck, showing and calling loudly. I might have been able to hear it from home if I'd been here, it had shut up by the time I got back though - foiled again!

Beautiful sunshine today and warmth in the air. Small Tortoishell and Peacock butterflies, in the garden, Buzzards circling overhead, lots of singing goldfinches and displaying starlings.

Garden Lifer of a Bee-fly.

Also added :

17) Magpie, perched on a neighbour's roof

18) Pair of Chaffinches, flitting through a blossom-filled tree.

19) 2 Common Gulls, in flight

20) Singing wren

So I have reached my target !

I will revise the target to 25. Hoping for some hirundines soon....

Best regards, Carol

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back